The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What's the one option...

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:37 PM
Reaction score
What is the one factory-installed option you wish was available on your Grenadier? (besides we American's whining about no diesel, besides everyone and their mother complaining about no manual trans, and besides wishing for the forthcoming ute)

If you've seen any of my posts, you know for me its AC-ventilated seats.
Heated front windscreen and a smart key. Probably the smart key first since I'll miss that all year round. I'll only miss the FHW in winter.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:37 AM
Reaction score
Have had Discovery 2, 3 and 4s never once used the boot cover in over 20 old years. It had registered with me that it didn't have one.
I have one in my Suzuki Grand Vitara (please don't tell me this is an SUV, and not a real 4x4, I know :ROFLMAO: ) and I use it the whole time, although I have tinted windows. I always have "something" in the trunk, sometimes of no value (now helmet and safety shoes), but sometimes my travel luggage, including my computer. It is also my way of limiting my travel luggage: everything should be hidden by the trunk boot cover.

Thieves look in the car, when they see things, they break windows and steal, or don't steal when it is of no value, but you have a broken window. When the trunk cover is used, they don't see anything. But of course, they could think: "there is something under the cover".

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A huge subwoofer and 24 speaker sound system
I started to look into upgrading the speakers to Rockford fosgate but the standard fitted front full range Hertz are mid to high end, allegedly, ( single mid range in the back). So I thought I would see what they were like first.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have one in my Suzuki Grand Vitara (please don't tell me this is an SUV, and not a real 4x4, I know :ROFLMAO: ) and I use it the whole time, although I have tinted windows. I always have "something" in the trunk, sometimes of no value (now helmet and safety shoes), but sometimes my travel luggage, including my computer. It is also my way of limiting my travel luggage: everything should be hidden by the trunk boot cover.

Thieves look in the car, when they see things, they break windows and steal, or don't steal when it is of no value, but you have a broken window. When the trunk cover is used, they don't see anything. But of course, they could think: "there is something under the cover".
It's either hay bales or dead sheep in the back, apparently not a lot of demand for nicking them.

Local time
Reaction score
What is the one factory-installed option you wish was available on your Grenadier? (besides we American's whining about no diesel, besides everyone and their mother complaining about no manual trans, and besides wishing for the forthcoming ute).

If you've seen any of my posts, you know for me its AC-ventilated

Heated steering wheel. We get a couple of months per year with morning temps between 0 and -30 F (that is between -17 and -34 C), That wasn't cold when I was in my 20s and 30s, but its cold now. I used to be able to ice-climb without gloves, and now my fingers go white driving in the car. Getting old sucks. My wife's fingers are worse, and the cold causes her significant pain. We both love the winter otherwise, and don't want to give up skiing or mountaineering.

Aftermarket heated steering wheels have an external power cord, which seems a little sketchy. This may sound crazy, but the lack of this option in the Grenadier could be a deal-breaker for me; not on its own, of course, but in conjunction with some other concerns. We have been talking about trading in both our current vehicles and getting a Power Wagon and a Jeep Wrangler (maybe after they offer a better engine). That would be a good combination for us: the PW is a great vehicle for extended ski trips, and other overland travel within North America (except for its poor fuel economy), while the Jeep comes with the technical off-road options we value, and with 35s from the factory, will be better than the Grenadier on the hard rocky trails we often drive (we owned a Jeep JK on 35s for nearly ten years, so we know what these vehicles are capable of). Payload in the Jeep is terrible (~850 pounds), but we could use the PW when we need better payload. And both vehicles have heated steering wheels 🙂 If we were planning an overland trip from here to Patagonia, or across Africa or Asia, the Grenadier would be the choice - hands down. If all goes according to plan, the Grenadier should be super-robust and reliable, with excellent payload. But given some concerns, I'm still trying to decide if its right for our needs.

Sorry - was just planning a short post in response to the question asked - and ended up thinking out loud...

Local time
Reaction score
A quick review of aftermarket heated steering wheel covers - if anyone is interested:

Excerpt from article:
"If you have ever driven a car with a heated steering wheel on a cold day, you’re unlikely to ever want to go back to a car without one. But not all manufacturers offer the feature and there are millions of older cars on the road without them. That’s why there’s a strong business in aftermarket heated steering wheel covers. More than just a luxury, a heated steering wheel cover can also be a real help for drivers with arthritic hands and fingers. All heated steering wheel covers share one key weakness: the need for power. Despite a couple of misleading headings on online shopping platforms, there are no wireless heated steering wheel covers. All are powered by a 12-volt outlet in the car. So there’s a cord running from the steering wheel to that outlet, which is in different locations in different vehicles. Users report cords getting wrapped around the steering column and turns causing the plug to pull out of the outlet. Some manufacturers say coiled cords help solve that problem, but users disagree. The only safe solution is to allow extra time and warm the steering wheel for a few minutes, then unplug it before driving."

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's either hay bales or dead sheep in the back, apparently not a lot of demand for nicking them.
In my youth, hitchhiking in the South of Chile, in Autumn (luckily it was freezing), a utility car stopped, and the driver told me: "If you want, you can sit in the back on the stuff I carry" (trunk), "but before saying yes, look what I am carrying".
I looked and it where all heads (only the head) of sheep. I accepted the ride! :eek:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In my youth, hitchhiking in the South of Chile, in Autumn (luckily it was freezing), a utility car stopped, and the driver told me: "If you want, you can sit in the back on the stuff I carry" (trunk), "but before saying yes, look what I am carrying".
I looked and it where all heads (only the head) of sheep. I accepted the ride! :eek:
See he didn't bother with a boot cover either!!!

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well unless they were ugly , you would , wouldn't you? :LOL:
The driver was ugly, the heads were ugly, but I needed my drive :p , but the landscape was fantastic, although it was really very very cold (somewhere between Punta Arena and Puerto Natales).
(to be honest; I don't remember the driver ;) )

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My other issue can be solved with an aftermarket speedo I'm front of me. Wish they had at least a basic duplicate one in front to avoid glancing over.
You really will get used to it, I guess.

I am using Waze on my cell-phone, sticked in the middle of my window. Not only for Waze, but also because of the "exact speed indication", On my speedo of my car the error is more or less 10%.

I drive 127 or 128 km/h on the motorway because i know you only get a fine when you drive 129 or higher. (Don't tell anybody please).

So, I got used to look at it, it's only a glimpse.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:37 PM
Reaction score
22” alloy wheels and track tyres

I’ll have to get them aftermarket now when I have bonnet vents and a rear spoiler fitted.

If I am honest, if a vehicle has electric windows, automatic, connectivity for my phone and air con, I am not really bothered about anything else. I never use them, possibly the if pushed I would say a heated windscreen for the 10 times a year I would probably need it. If I had to pay extra then forget it. I’ll just keep pouring hot tap water on the screen like I always do.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You really will get used to it, I guess.

I am using Waze on my cell-phone, sticked in the middle of my window. Not only for Waze, but also because of the "exact speed indication", On my speedo of my car the error is more or less 10%.

I drive 127 or 128 km/h on the motorway because i know you only get a fine when you drive 129 or higher. (Don't tell anybody please).

So, I got used to look at it, it's only a glimpse.
Waze vs Google Maps. Thoughts??

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:37 AM
Reaction score
Waze vs Google Maps. Thoughts??
I use google maps because it interfaces pretty well with google search.
My wife prefers Waze because people input problems on the roads ahead such as accidents, breakdowns, roadworks and those funny little people who want to take my picture.

Back
Top Bottom