The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What type of fuse is used in the INEOS?

Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
I once replaced the fusable link with a piece of lamp cord.
My to be wife and I had gone for a walk to percy’s rock, near mount revelstoke in British Columbia. An 8 hour stroll. As we returned to my Misubhishi Dodge Colt she said she might have left the lights on. Is was true. The link blew on the first jump attempt. it turned out the pickup owner had rebuilt the engine himself and reversed polarity for ground. After putting in the lamp cord for the melted lead link and reversing the jumper cables we were off and going

Last edited:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:08 PM
Reaction score
Life is so complicated nowadays. What happened to putting a bit of tin foil (from a chewing gum stick or cigarette packet) and wrapping it around the blown fuse. Or was I the only one trying to set my car on fire. 😂
🤦Teaser:
After traveling approximately 20 miles, just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged and struck Poole in the right testicle.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:08 PM
Reaction score
I was meant to reply to this earlier, but IA use a 'short fuse' : - deliverable on all current production models!!!
Do you mean by that INEOS Australia are using the Low Profile JCase Fuses? Or low profile blade fuses?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
According to the specification sheet on the Littelfuse busbars used in the INEOS, they use midi fuses.

So, spare midi fuses will also be needed, but until I can look under the busbar cover I cannot be 100% certain (as some of the FHZ series busbars use a ZCASE bolt down fuse). My money is on the midi fuse.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Fuse update
I looked at a Red Fieldmaster Prototype today, without an auxiliary battery fitted.

We removed the top of the FHZ Series 5 busbar and I can confirm each stud is fused. You can see a small cube below each nut and stud, that is the fuse. I could read the rating of 3 of the 5 fuses, they were 80 amps, 300 amp and 350 amps. Inside the busbar looks like this (I accidentally knocked out of place the green rubber grommet when taking off the cap):

IMG_8211.jpg

You can see better the fuses in this image from the Littelfuse website.

1280_QmzjyJtFXF91.jpg
Here is the busbar holder with no fuses. You can clearly see the busbar.
1280_6I8G6qq62WD7.jpg
They are not midi fuses, so they must be the MEGA range ZCASE® fuses (80 A to 600 A).

I can confirm there are three main fuses used in the IEOS Grenadier.

Blade fuses
The main blade fuse used is a Mini fuse, not a low-profile Mini fuse or a Micro2 fuse.

Mini fuses are 10.9mm across, 16.3mm high and the blade width is 2.8mm.

The fuse box diagrams tell what amp rating is required.

MCases fuses
Two of the fuse boxes also use female Low Profile MCase unslotted fuse. The fuse box diagrams tell what amp rating is required.

These are made by Littelfuse and remind me of a miniature Otto bin or Wheelie garage bin.

MEGA range ZCASE® fuses
The FHZ Series 5 busbar can either use a midi fuse or the MEGA range ZCASE® fuses. The images above show the 5 stud busbar (and probably the 7 stud one which I could not open) uses MEGA range ZCASE® fuses.

These will be must have fuses, because they are used to fuse the CTEK 120S and if that fuse blows, the aux battery is taken out of action. This is where all the high amp devices are fused, from 80 amps to 350 amps (both the 5 stud and the 7 stud busbars are rated up to 400 amps).

Fuse puller needed
It is really hard to remove the small blade fuses and the Low Profile MCase Fuses with your fingers. You will need a fuse puller, long nose pliers or something similar.

Save yourself the frustration and put something into your toolkit.

Attachments

• IMG_8211.jpg
    IMG_8211.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 1280_QmzjyJtFXF91.jpg
    1280_QmzjyJtFXF91.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Camskii

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Fuse update
I looked at a Red Fieldmaster Prototype today, without an auxiliary battery fitted.

We removed the top of the FHZ Series 5 busbar and I can confirm each stud is fused. You can see a small cube below each nut and stud, that is the fuse. I could read the rating of 3 of the 5 fuses, they were 80 amps, 300 amp and 350 amps. Inside the busbar looks like this (I accidentally knocked out of place the green rubber grommet when taking off the cap):

View attachment 7810263

You can see better the fuses in this image from the Littelfuse website.

View attachment 7810262
Here is the busbar holder with no fuses. You can clearly see the busbar.
View attachment 7810269
They are not midi fuses, so they must be the MEGA range ZCASE® fuses (80 A to 600 A).

I can confirm there are three main fuses used in the IEOS Grenadier.

Blade fuses
The main blade fuse used is a Mini fuse, not a low-profile Mini fuse or a Micro2 fuse.

Mini fuses are 10.9mm across, 16.3mm high and the blade width is 2.8mm.

The fuse box diagrams tell what amp rating is required.

MCases fuses
Two of the fuse boxes also use female Low Profile MCase unslotted fuse. The fuse box diagrams tell what amp rating is required.

These are made by Littelfuse and remind me of a miniature Otto bin or Wheelie garage bin.

MEGA range ZCASE® fuses
The FHZ Series 5 busbar can either use a midi fuse or the MEGA range ZCASE® fuses. The images above show the 5 stud busbar (and probably the 7 stud one which I could not open) uses MEGA range ZCASE® fuses.

These will be must have fuses, because they are used to fuse the CTEK 120S and if that fuse blows, the aux battery is taken out of action. This is where all the high amp devices are fused, from 80 amps to 350 amps (both the 5 stud and the 7 stud busbars are rated up to 400 amps).

Fuse puller needed
It is really hard to remove the small blade fuses and the Low Profile MCase Fuses with your fingers. You will need a fuse puller, long nose pliers or something similar.

Save yourself the frustration and put something into your toolkit.
Any luck on finding out where the 10A switches actually go to?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
IMPORTANT CORRECTION
The INEOS uses Low Profile JCase Fuses (895/PAL Fuses), not FCase fuses I stated earlier.

Sorry about that, but final confirmation is going to have to come from a production vehicle by pulling the fuses and looking.

Warning: there are two models at the various ratings for the JCase fuses, I have not worked out which one is used in the IG.

Note to INEOS: It would help if the Owners Manual told owners exactly what type of fuses are used!

IMPORTANT CORRECTION

Last edited:

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:08 PM
Reaction score
IMPORTANT CORRECTION
The INEOS uses Low Profile JCase Fuses (895/PAL Fuses), not FCase fuses I stated earlier.

Sorry about that, but final confirmation is going to have to come from a production vehicle by pulling the fuses and looking.

Warning: there are two models at the various ratings for the JCase fuses, I have not worked out which one is used in the IG.

Note to INEOS: It would help if the Owners Manual told owners exactly what type of fuses are used!

IMPORTANT CORRECTION
Thanks @TheDocAUS. I have to agree the owners manual pdf that fleetingly appeared was sadly deficient in a lot of basic detail. I hope that the document we receive when our cars are delivered will be more fit for purpose.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:08 AM
Reaction score
Thanks @TheDocAUS. I have to agree the owners manual pdf that fleetingly appeared was sadly deficient in a lot of basic detail. I hope that the document we receive when our cars are delivered will be more fit for purpose.
The pdf I have is no different from the paper version.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:08 PM
Reaction score
The pdf I have is no different from the paper version.
I'm live in hope that once Australian deliverys start there will be a second edition..... but I'm not holding my breath!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:08 PM
Reaction score
There's a fuse box that doesn't seem to be included yet:
WP_20230519_023.jpg
WP_20230519_021.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And this is the Littel fuse box wired into the auxiliary battery. The writing is mine - I had to read the fuse values with a small mirror and torch (who designed them like this!), and Ineos, who designed the seat trim such that getting to fuses requires removing trim screws and bending panels at strange angles...:
WP_20230519_033.jpg
The shunt cable comes off the positive terminal of the auxiliary battery via this (I assume an inline fuse):
WP_20230519_026.jpg

Edit:
What I assume to be an in line fuse looks very similar to this, also from Littel, maybe the 32 V version:
Screenshot_20230520_061145.jpg

Last edited:

Camskii

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
And this is the Littel fuse box wired into the auxiliary battery. The writing is mine - I had to read the fuse values with a small mirror and torch (who designed them like this!), and Ineos, who designed the seat trim such that getting to fuses requires removing trim screws and bending panels at strange angles...:
View attachment 7812574
The shunt cable comes off the positive terminal of the auxiliary battery via this (I assume an inline fuse):
View attachment 7812575
Interesting to see what those 3 other cables power

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Either the 350A or the 300A was connected to the out terminal of the Smartpass. I'll have to look in my notes and confirm.

The other two I'll try and chase further over the weekend.

[Edit: Looking at the Z Case installation instructions, it would have been nice to have followed this "Note: the cover is designed to take a label, so good practice is to label the fuse box so each fuse and its loads are identified, as this makes troubleshooting later much easier."]

Another thing to comment on is the size of the nuts used on the various sized cables. If you look at the box in post #27 it looks like it comes with a common nut size irrespective of fuse size. Curious then why I have three different stud/nut sizes?

The unit is also only bolted down on 3 of it's 4 mounting lugs.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Either the 350A or the 300A was connected to the out terminal of the Smartpass. I'll have to look in my notes and confirm.
The Smartpass manual requires a 300 amp fuse on the 120S. See page 5 of the Manual.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Those new images seem to show 2 new fuses boxes not in the INEOS Diagrams or the prototype vehicles. Any idea what they are fusing?

One image suggests new relays, as the existing fuses boxes do not appear to have any spare relays. The other looks like a single Midi fuse, bringing the total to two Midi fuses.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The Smartpass manual requires a 300 amp fuse on the 120S. See page 5 of the Manual.
You're right it does:
Screenshot_20230520_072641.jpg

But then the product sheet also makes reference to 350A, albeit for 10 seconds:
Screenshot_20230520_073109.jpg

Back
Top Bottom