The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What type of fuse is used in the INEOS?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:02 PM
Reaction score
Those new images seem to show 2 new fuses boxes not in the INEOS Diagrams or the prototype vehicles. Any idea what they are fusing?
The inline fuse box? Detailed in post #35 above, possibly a Mega SN?
One image suggests new relays, as the existing fuses boxes do not appear to have any spare relays.
More work required... 🔦🔍

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:02 PM
Reaction score
The inline fuse box? Detailed in post #35 above, possibly a Mega SN?
Acorrding to the specs it is Midi fuse if rated at 50 or 80 amps, or a MEGA fuse if it is 100 amps or more.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It's inline directly off the auxiliary battery, must be well in excess of 100A, as the fuse box it feeds has a 350A fused output.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:02 AM
Reaction score
It's inline directly off the auxiliary battery, must be well in excess of 100A, as the fuse box it feeds has a 350A fused output.
Hi DCPU, You seem to be very knowledgable on electronics and batteries. I am thinking of ordering the Field Master with the Premium Sound System, which will have the subwoofer where you could have put the second battery. Then I plan on moving the subwoofer to the rear boot in a custom secured box by simply lengthening the wiring
to the subwoofer. I then plan on adding a second battery. My question is.... How easy is it to add a second battery after the fact? What type of battery would you recommend and do I need to get a C-Tech controller for the 2 battery set up. I am not planning on running solar. My main concern is if there is any software missing or needed or flashing needed when you add a second battery with controller or is it just simply getting the second battery and making the proper wiring connections between the two batteries and C-Tech controller. Respectfully, DaBull

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'd throw that question open to the forum as a whole; I would in no way describe myself as qualified to give you any definitive answers. I actually doubt anyone can at the moment. Exactly how the UK setup works in full is still a bit of a mystery; and there's no way of knowing if a US market spec vehicle will be different again.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looking at the photo below, it looks as though with the aux battery fitted, the positive power cable now comes from the Output on the SMARTPASS 120S and goes through the new inline fuse holder and onto the positive terminal of the aux battery. If that is correct it should mean there is a MEGA fuse in the inline fuse holder of at least 300 amps.

That would make 5 types of fuses used, the last being a MEGA fuse in midi form.

IMG_1634.jpeg
Image courtesy of @Logsplitter

Attachments

• WP_20230519_023.jpg
    WP_20230519_023.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Looking at the photo below, it looks as though with the aux battery fitted, the positive power cable now comes from the Output on the SMARTPASS 120S and goes through the new inline fuse holder and onto the positive terminal of the aux battery.
There are now two different versions of the wiring with the auxiliary battery...

If that is correct it should mean there is a MEGA fuse in the inline fuse holder of at least 300 amps.
That doesn't make any sense if there's a 350A fuse in that Littel fuse box.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There are now two different versions of the wiring with the auxiliary battery...

That doesn't make any sense if there's a 350A fuse in that Littel fuse box.
There is a 300 and 350 amp fuse in the second busbar, which they appear to have used in earlier prototypes. Only time will tell if they can come wired in different ways for the aux battery.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi DCPU, You seem to be very knowledgable on electronics and batteries. I am thinking of ordering the Field Master with the Premium Sound System, which will have the subwoofer where you could have put the second battery. Then I plan on moving the subwoofer to the rear boot in a custom secured box by simply lengthening the wiring
to the subwoofer. I then plan on adding a second battery. My question is.... How easy is it to add a second battery after the fact? What type of battery would you recommend and do I need to get a C-Tech controller for the 2 battery set up. I am not planning on running solar. My main concern is if there is any software missing or needed or flashing needed when you add a second battery with controller or is it just simply getting the second battery and making the proper wiring connections between the two batteries and C-Tech controller. Respectfully, DaBull
Very easy is the simple answer. Path of least resistance in this scenario is to utilise a portable auxiliary battery. Heaps of options and most come with charge controllers and inverters onboard. Example below:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There is a 300 and 350 amp fuse in the second busbar, which they appear to have used in earlier prototypes.
I know I've checked in mine, hence comment about inline fuse rating.

Only time will tell if they can come wired in different ways for the aux battery.
Time has told ~ we have two vehicles with the auxiliary battery wiring different. The photos are up in the forum for all to see...

etbandit

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Fuse update
I looked at a Red Fieldmaster Prototype today, without an auxiliary battery fitted.

We removed the top of the FHZ Series 5 busbar and I can confirm each stud is fused. You can see a small cube below each nut and stud, that is the fuse. I could read the rating of 3 of the 5 fuses, they were 80 amps, 300 amp and 350 amps. Inside the busbar looks like this (I accidentally knocked out of place the green rubber grommet when taking off the cap):

View attachment 7810263

You can see better the fuses in this image from the Littelfuse website.

View attachment 7810262
Here is the busbar holder with no fuses. You can clearly see the busbar.
View attachment 7810269
They are not midi fuses, so they must be the MEGA range ZCASE® fuses (80 A to 600 A).

I can confirm there are three main fuses used in the IEOS Grenadier.

Blade fuses
The main blade fuse used is a Mini fuse, not a low-profile Mini fuse or a Micro2 fuse.

Mini fuses are 10.9mm across, 16.3mm high and the blade width is 2.8mm.

The fuse box diagrams tell what amp rating is required.

MCases fuses
Two of the fuse boxes also use female Low Profile MCase unslotted fuse. The fuse box diagrams tell what amp rating is required.

These are made by Littelfuse and remind me of a miniature Otto bin or Wheelie garage bin.

MEGA range ZCASE® fuses
The FHZ Series 5 busbar can either use a midi fuse or the MEGA range ZCASE® fuses. The images above show the 5 stud busbar (and probably the 7 stud one which I could not open) uses MEGA range ZCASE® fuses.

These will be must have fuses, because they are used to fuse the CTEK 120S and if that fuse blows, the aux battery is taken out of action. This is where all the high amp devices are fused, from 80 amps to 350 amps (both the 5 stud and the 7 stud busbars are rated up to 400 amps).

Fuse puller needed
It is really hard to remove the small blade fuses and the Low Profile MCase Fuses with your fingers. You will need a fuse puller, long nose pliers or something similar.

Save yourself the frustration and put something into your toolkit.
Do you know what stud size is used in the 7 stud busbar fuse case? Is it M6, M7 or M8?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The busbars (5 or 7) are configurable using either M6, M8, or M10 bolts. I believe they are M8 bolts in the IG, but we need an owner to confirm. EDIT: the spare busbar I bought has M8 bolts fitted. Look here.

If they are M8 bolts the recommended mounting torque settings used for the Z Case fuses is: M8: 14Nm±2Nm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom