The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What MPG are you getting

Local time
1:13 PM
Reaction score
I'm only just now learning about the Grenadier. I had a few random thoughts about this vehicle.

I am very interested in the fuel economy of the Grenadier. As the owner of 2 BMW's (X3 M40i and an older BMW 340i) with the B58 engine, albeit in a higher level of tune, I've gotten outstanding US MPG results (low to mid-30's) on long trips. IMO, the B58 engine is an excellent combination of power and efficiency. However, the EPA ratings of the Grenadier is somewhat confusing. It's listed as 15 MPG city, 15 MPG combined, 15 MPG highway. Considering the EPA testing procedures for city and highway, it doesn't seem possible that the two numbers would be identical, at least not for the B58 engine.

With the B58 engine, I cannot see how the Grenadier can't exceed its 15 MPG highway rating, even with its less-than-ideal aerodynamics. In the past, I've owned a Jeep Wrangler and a Toyota 4Runner, both with thirsty 4.0L 6-cylinder engines. I easily exceeded 15 MPG on both vehicles which were both lifted and fitted with off-road tires. The Grenadier's aerodynamics can't be any worse than my old Wrangler. I have to think the Grenadier will very likely pummel the published MPG ratings. I have to believe that 20 MPG highway should be easily attainable, if not higher.

I looked through all the brochures. I didn't see anything regarding an auxiliary fuel tank option. A 23.7-gallon (US) gas tank is adequate, but on the trail or overland, it could prove to be a bit small, especially at the rated 15 MPG. Has Ineos provided any information about adding additional fuel capacity? Me personally, I don't like carrying auxilary jerry cans. When not in use, they add to the clutter around my house.

I'm also very interested in how the B58 was detuned to 282 HP. If it contains the newest B58TU engine (B58B30M2), the BMW's current lowest output version of that motor puts out 382 HP, 369 FT-LBs torque (US). I have to wonder how the Ineos and BMW engineers detuned the engine down to 281 HP and 330 FT-LB. For the price of the Grenadier, it doesn't seem possible that the engine internal design and components would be modified to provide less motor performance as that would be cost prohibitive. I'm not even so sure a smaller turbo fitted to the B58TU engine makes any sense. It seems to me that the easiest and cheapest way to drop the normal performance figures of the B58TU engine would be to simply remap the ECU for less turbo boost, hence the lower power numbers. There's also the question of intake plumbing which I'm sure is greatly reduced, especially for the snorkel equipped models, along with changes in the size, location, and number of the various coolers and heat exchangers.

That being the case, I wonder how difficult it would be to get back the missing 101 HP and 39 FT-LBs of torque. A B58 engine can be easily tuned to make well over 500 HP for a very nominal amount of money. I've seen a growing number of Jeep 392 Rubicon Hemi Wranglers and Ford Bronco Raptors on the trails over the past year. A 500+ HP Grenadier might be an interesting project. Certainly the motor is capable. The ZF 8HP51 box might need to be upgraded to a 8HP70. The differentials and axles should be fine, but I'll need to do a bit of digging to understand the componentry involved.

I'm certainly interested in seeing the Grenadier in person and up-close.

Local time
9:13 PM
Reaction score
Land Rover supply the new Defender with the 3.0 lngenium engine as a D200, D250 and D300

lt's the same engine but with different software. The 3.0 is also fitted into the Range Rover where it delivers over 350bhp

The D250 was £3,000 more expensive than the D200 (which is no longer available)

The LR salesman admitted that the D250 costs LR "no more to make" so it's just a way to make more money.

With lneos, l imagine they've decided that 300bhp is enough for their vehicle, it may also be due to the installation of the engine and radiator size etc.

Local time
Reaction score
I picked mine up last Saturday. It's petrol and I'm currently getting around 20 mpg UK on country lanes and around town. Haven't had a good motorway run yet but on a road trip this weekend.

Random Q - Is it possible/does anyone know if you can change the units on the display from Litres/100 miles to MPG? I haven't had time to play about with the settings yet

Will I like it? - Yep!

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I picked mine up last Saturday. It's petrol and I'm currently getting around 20 mpg UK on country lanes and around town. Haven't had a good motorway run yet but on a road trip this weekend.

Random Q - Is it possible/does anyone know if you can change the units on the display from Litres/100 miles to MPG? I haven't had time to play about with the settings yet
yes you can - you will have to go through settings - cant remember how I done it.
still trying to find where you turn the volume down on the traffic reporting as it is far too loud.

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

You can change to MPG

Go to Settings in the central control panel.
Then select General
Then select Unit
Then select Fuel

You then have there options (Litre, Gallons UK and Gallons US)

I’ve in a few traffic jams already and had the time to play with it!

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
yes you can - you will have to go through settings - cant remember how I done it.
still trying to find where you turn the volume down on the traffic reporting as it is far too loud.
To turn down the notification warnings ……

Select Settings on central control panel
Then select Acoustic Settings
Then select Volume Settings
Then select Notification Volume Increase

Adjust to required level

Local time
Reaction score

That's pretty good MPG already from the petrol version if it's local driving.
l always hot good MPG from my BMW Z3 3.0, better than the Mazda MX3 we had and that was only a 1.8
l think BMW engines are pretty good.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:13 PM
Reaction score
I'm only just now learning about the Grenadier. I had a few random thoughts about this vehicle.

I am very interested in the fuel economy of the Grenadier. As the owner of 2 BMW's (X3 M40i and an older BMW 340i) with the B58 engine, albeit in a higher level of tune, I've gotten outstanding US MPG results (low to mid-30's) on long trips. IMO, the B58 engine is an excellent combination of power and efficiency. However, the EPA ratings of the Grenadier is somewhat confusing. It's listed as 15 MPG city, 15 MPG combined, 15 MPG highway. Considering the EPA testing procedures for city and highway, it doesn't seem possible that the two numbers would be identical, at least not for the B58 engine.

With the B58 engine, I cannot see how the Grenadier can't exceed its 15 MPG highway rating, even with its less-than-ideal aerodynamics. In the past, I've owned a Jeep Wrangler and a Toyota 4Runner, both with thirsty 4.0L 6-cylinder engines. I easily exceeded 15 MPG on both vehicles which were both lifted and fitted with off-road tires. The Grenadier's aerodynamics can't be any worse than my old Wrangler. I have to think the Grenadier will very likely pummel the published MPG ratings. I have to believe that 20 MPG highway should be easily attainable, if not higher.

I looked through all the brochures. I didn't see anything regarding an auxiliary fuel tank option. A 23.7-gallon (US) gas tank is adequate, but on the trail or overland, it could prove to be a bit small, especially at the rated 15 MPG. Has Ineos provided any information about adding additional fuel capacity? Me personally, I don't like carrying auxilary jerry cans. When not in use, they add to the clutter around my house.

I'm also very interested in how the B58 was detuned to 282 HP. If it contains the newest B58TU engine (B58B30M2), the BMW's current lowest output version of that motor puts out 382 HP, 369 FT-LBs torque (US). I have to wonder how the Ineos and BMW engineers detuned the engine down to 281 HP and 330 FT-LB. For the price of the Grenadier, it doesn't seem possible that the engine internal design and components would be modified to provide less motor performance as that would be cost prohibitive. I'm not even so sure a smaller turbo fitted to the B58TU engine makes any sense. It seems to me that the easiest and cheapest way to drop the normal performance figures of the B58TU engine would be to simply remap the ECU for less turbo boost, hence the lower power numbers. There's also the question of intake plumbing which I'm sure is greatly reduced, especially for the snorkel equipped models, along with changes in the size, location, and number of the various coolers and heat exchangers.

That being the case, I wonder how difficult it would be to get back the missing 101 HP and 39 FT-LBs of torque. A B58 engine can be easily tuned to make well over 500 HP for a very nominal amount of money. I've seen a growing number of Jeep 392 Rubicon Hemi Wranglers and Ford Bronco Raptors on the trails over the past year. A 500+ HP Grenadier might be an interesting project. Certainly the motor is capable. The ZF 8HP51 box might need to be upgraded to a 8HP70. The differentials and axles should be fine, but I'll need to do a bit of digging to understand the componentry involved.

I'm certainly interested in seeing the Grenadier in person and up-close.

"I am very interested in the fuel economy of the Grenadier. As the owner of 2 BMW's (X3 M40i and an older BMW 340i) with the B58 engine, albeit in a higher level of tune, I've gotten outstanding US MPG results (low to mid-30's) on long trips. IMO, the B58 engine is an excellent combination of power and efficiency. However, the EPA ratings of the Grenadier is somewhat confusing. It's listed as 15 MPG city, 15 MPG combined, 15 MPG highway. Considering the EPA testing procedures for city and highway, it doesn't seem possible that the two numbers would be identical, at least not for the B58 engine. "

The final (actual) EPA numbers are not yet complete/announced. The one killer between the IG and a Jeep or 4Runner is the weight, the Gren is a heavy, heavy vehicle.

"I looked through all the brochures. I didn't see anything regarding an auxiliary fuel tank option. A 23.7-gallon (US) gas tank is adequate, but on the trail or overland, it could prove to be a bit small, especially at the rated 15 MPG. Has Ineos provided any information about adding additional fuel capacity? Me personally, I don't like carrying auxiliary jerry cans. When not in use, they add to the clutter around my house. "

IA have said they have no intention in offering a larger tank or an additional tank.. Most agree that the tank is too small - esp our Aussie friends who prefer to carry a fuel load much closer to double the IA offering.

"That being the case, I wonder how difficult it would be to get back the missing 101 HP and 39 FT-LBs of torque. A B58 engine can be easily tuned to make well over 500 HP for a very nominal amount of money. I've seen a growing number of Jeep 392 Rubicon Hemi Wranglers and Ford Bronco Raptors on the trails over the past year. A 500+ HP Grenadier might be an interesting project. Certainly the motor is capable. The ZF 8HP51 box might need to be upgraded to a 8HP70. The differentials and axles should be fine, but I'll need to do a bit of digging to understand the componentry involved."

A direct question over which transmission version the NA market will be getting has been asked of IA and we are awaiting an official answer. There has been much debate and discussion about the two transmissions allegedly being used for the petrol and diesel engines. If we do get the "lesser" of the two, there is room to increase HP but very little room to increase torque. @stickshifter has written some fantastic posts regarding this if you search him up.

Welcome to the board BTW. We're glad you've found us.

Last edited:

beg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wait till you get in it and you develop the “Gren Grin”.. It’s the most solid passenger vehicle I’ve ever driven. Now 800 miles in with mine and getting c 22/3mpg pottering about and 26/6mpg on longer runs. It also smoother to drive and quieter now than during the first couple of hundred miles..

autotrader’s review be damned..
I can't seem to get my average mpg it just keeps resetting to zero even in offroad

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can't seem to get my average mpg it just keeps resetting to zero even in offroad
In the general settings have you elected it to reset the trip computer every time you restart? That might help.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:13 PM
Reaction score
After ~1800 km , my Genadier is between 16.8 and 18.09 MPG, but.. mostly E10 petrol, in UK, in Germany with E5 little bit better

Reactions: PBD

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:13 PM
Reaction score
After ~1800 km , my Genadier is between 16.8 and 18.09 MPG, but.. mostly E10 petrol, in UK, in Germany with E5 little bit better
Is that UK MPG? For those of us on the other side of the pond, pretty much all we get is E10, E0 is fairly hard to come by, and the push for E15 is getting more and more on the East Coast

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There are some garages in the UK selling E5 but up in Scotland there are only a few, certainly in the less populated areas I tend to find it is the bigger Shell garages that still have the option.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:13 PM
Reaction score
Is that UK MPG? For those of us on the other side of the pond, pretty much all we get is E10, E0 is fairly hard to come by, and the push for E15 is getting more and more on the East Coast
Yes UK MPG, I calculate normaly in l/100km, but now I on holiday and calculating in imperial system…..

beg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Will try that tomorrow
How do i set it to reset after every trip or change it not to, I had a look on the settings and don't see a setting for this .

Reactions: PBD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom