The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What do you think of the prices shared so far?

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
7:16 PM
Reaction score
PL1 said:
I did a build on the UK Web site and did a rough conversion to $US and come to approx. the same $75k number.  I also added another $10k for transportation and taxes, so on the road at about $85k seems to be reasonable.  I also spec'ed a Rubicon and previously I did the same for the new Defender to see where I would end up.  A Jeep with a similar level of equipment to the Grenadier was $10k less, the new Defender about $10k more, so I think that's the right ballpark. 
I'll also use mine for camping and long distance exploring in colder climates so it's equipped as such.  Not intending to use it for serious rock crawling or similar.

Now the waiting period begins...

I went through the same process, came up with pretty much the same conclusion as well. The man math explanation to the wife is we can have 2 Grens for the price of a G Wagon. Not that I could afford a G wagon, but thats not the point right....

PL1

Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
I got around that objection by taking her to look at a Jaguar i-Pace and a Kia EV6 for her daily commuter.  At around $48k in the US, the Kia is a really nice vehicle.  An i-Pace is more vehicle, a lot less range and about $40k more so it's pretty hard to justify.
A G-wagen appeals to a certain personality type so that's off the shopping list.   So is the new Range Rover...  IMO Land Rover are appealing to the suburban soccer mom market and have lost sight of the SUV market.  The economics of volume & mark-up per vehicle. 
Cheers.

Michael Gain

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I built our Grenadier on my phone, using the UK drop down, but there was no price. How are you guys seeing pricing information?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Michael Gain userid=8442400 postid=1330843292]I built our Grenadier on my phone, using the UK drop down, but there was no price. How are you guys seeing pricing information?[/QUOTE][QUOTE username=Michael Gain userid=8442400 postid=1330843292]I built our Grenadier on my phone, using the UK drop down, but there was no price. How are you guys seeing pricing information?[/QUOTE]Guesswork and man-maths ?

Jeremy996

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
[QUOTE username=Michael Gain userid=8442400 postid=1330843292]I built our Grenadier on my phone, using the UK drop down, but there was no price. How are you guys seeing pricing information?[/QUOTE]

Other than the 2 seat commercial at GBP48,000 there is no further pricing information officially!

My guess is that they will slightly undercut the basic Defender costs, as pricing at this level is more of a marketing issue than an engineering one.

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
2:16 AM
Reaction score
In the comments under this video (link below), one of the reviewers said that the price they were quoted was $98,000 U.S. If this news about pricing is accurate (and that's a big if), this is very disappointing, and I will be looking elsewhere.

Maybe the Jeep Gladiator will get the new 3.0 turbo-charged I6 gas engine; and it has the same 8-speed ZF gearbox as the Grenadier. That would be a power-train I can get behind. Another option, though very different, is the Ram Power Wagon, with a 6.4 NA V8, and a heavy duty version of the ZF 8-speed.

Here is the new video from South Africa, price presented in the comments below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAoZEcbGyCU

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
stickshifter said:
In the comments under this video (link below), one of the reviewers said that the price they were quoted was $98,000 U.S. If this news about pricing is accurate (and that's a big if), this is very disappointing, and I will be looking elsewhere.

That will be too much for me too, and I've been keen on these things for years so I don't say that lightly. I hope that isn't the final price. If it is, no Gren for me - likely I'd go with a 25 year old Defender imported and kitted out, and use the money I'd save to make it exceptionally good and reliable and STILL have at least $20 grand left over compared with the Grenadier at 6 figures.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I think its the South African tax that makes it so expensive. In the US I believe it would be about $75-80K..whether thats fully loaded or base specs remains to be seen

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Paachi said:
I think its the South African tax that makes it so expensive. In the US I believe it would be about $75-80K..whether thats fully loaded or base specs remains to be seen

I don't think we should get too worried about the "fully loaded" cost for the grenadier. The options list on the configurator is actually very small, and I've been led to believe that ineos aren't going to be offering multiple trim levels, just a standard vehicle, then whatever options you want. 

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
@Spjnr Fingers crossed. The only option that I really hope isnt too expensive is the lockers. Everything else can be added later or after-market will step up. I will admit I am once bitten twice shy. A trip to the Porsche configurator will totally drive one nuts in terms of cost of options

Local time
Reaction score
I was actually surprised that the Lockers weren't 'standard', rather than options...Without lockers, isn't it just another station wagon...What's the point?

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Triple Seven userid=8864359 postid=1331716227]I was actually surprised that the Lockers weren't 'standard', rather than options...Without lockers, isn't it just another station wagon...What's the point?[/QUOTE]

The old defender was sold with just a centre difflock in the UK. It might be a case of appealing more to fleet users who need the rugged, heavy duty build and offroad ability, but without the extreme offroad ability brought by lockers. Just a cost saving 

Local time
Reaction score
I suppose that makes sense...If lockers were standard, there'd likely be others that said that they didn't need lockers, that it was an unnecessary addition to the price and that they'd have preferred it had been an option!

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Triple Seven userid=8864359 postid=1331716418]I suppose that makes sense...If lockers were standard, there'd likely be others that said that they didn't need lockers, that it was an unnecessary addition to the price and that they'd have preferred it had been an option![/QUOTE]

Agreed. I hear car reviewers constantly saying things like "this and that should be standard equipment" which really bugs me. I'd argue for the opposite: almost nothing should be standard, in order to provide (1) the cheapest base price possible, and (2) the most choice possible.

Jeremy996

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
I said elsewhere I'll be buying the most basic "Fleet" version to start with, then spending the GNP of a small African country over 10 years to move it to the "Lux" version. My family are getting fed up of the spartan nature of a '89 LR110 CSW and wanting something a little plusher. 

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
As far as the conversation I had with Greg Clark https://media.ineosgrenadier.com/en/leadership-team/?lang=en on Monday, he indicted that there would be one model and effectively a pick and chose option for the items you want, not the traditional trim levels. Or at least that is how I understand it. Perhaps someone attending the other events on the west coast can clarify that point. 

One thing that he categorically stated was that the configurator is essentially a beta one, and towards the end of spring there will be the remainder of options. Currently that is sitting at about 40%, so there's lots of goodies coming it would seem.

I just hope they don't go down the package route with this, and keep it as a real pick and mix so you get what you really want. 

But in addition to the conversation there was talk of derivatives, of course the chicken tax came up for the USA market, but he said that there would be derivatives coming to North America. No timeframe on that though. 

Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, the package option sucks! Jeep is a good example...If you want the standard transmission, you can't get the Diesel...if you want the Diesel, or the 492, you have to get the Unlimited, i.e. 4 doors...etc., etc....Trying to build your own, on the website can be an enigma!

Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Jeremy Edwards  Jeremy996 userid=8850576 postid=1331717801]I said elsewhere I'll be buying the most basic "Fleet" version to start with, then spending the GNP of a small African country over 10 years to move it to the "Lux" version. My family are getting fed up of the spartan nature of a '89 LR110 CSW and wanting something a little plusher. [/QUOTE]

Yeah...Only one version is being offered in North America, so far!

Local time
Reaction score
Paachi said:
@Spjnr Fingers crossed. The only option that I really hope isnt too expensive is the lockers. Everything else can be added later or after-market will step up. I will admit I am once bitten twice shy. A trip to the Porsche configurator will totally drive one nuts in terms of cost of options

I'm not sure how it will shake out yet, but installing 2 lockers in my 100 series LC with Eaton/Harrop E lockers was only 3k.  Might be an option later if people want to get a cheaper Grenadier and upgrade later. 

Back
Top Bottom