The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What do you do for a living?

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
3:52 AM
Reaction score
Assuming you are being dry. Otherwise, I shouldn’t have posted a laugh, but a thumbs up.

No offence taken. I am 55 and retired, however I like to tell people I am unemployed (technically correct, I don’t have a job).

Think it’s just my odd sense of humour. I also like telling people when they ask why I am called Shaky, that my hands used to shake due to my excessive alcohol consumption, but since rehab I have been fine. I can see their face change as they wish they hadn’t asked.

In reality I have had the nickname since I was 12 and got it after being likened to Shakin Steven’s (80’s singer), I am also teetotal 😃

I sometimes tell them the truth 😜

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:52 AM
Reaction score
No offence taken. I am 55 and retired, however I like to tell people I am unemployed (technically correct, I don’t have a job).

Think it’s just my odd sense of humour. I also like telling people when they ask why I am called Shaky, that my hands used to shake due to my excessive alcohol consumption, but since rehab I have been fine. I can see their face change as they wish they hadn’t asked.

In reality I have had the nickname since I was 12 and got it after being likened to Shakin Steven’s (80’s singer), I am also teetotal 😃

I sometimes tell them the truth 😜
Hmm...a reformed alcoholic or being like Shakin Stevens .........that is going to be a difficult one to call :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:52 AM
Reaction score
I have an Estate Sale Company, but at 55 am working my way out of it slowly to focus on Adventure based back country communities/ subdivisions. I have 2 in Silverton Colorado, one I will build a cabin on in 3 years and relocate there. Sits at 10,300' so plenty of views. Currently negotiating on 500 acres in the River of No Return Wilderness to develop next. Building these communities is a lot of fun, makes money and I will work less hours in the next few years.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:52 PM
Reaction score
The company I have been working for since March last year has been going through a lot of financial troubles over the last 6 months.
After some pretty bad management decisions they went on and off stop credit continuously with most of their suppliers.
This has led to people leaving and not being replaced and over the last couple of months they have been making people redundant.

Last Friday this included myself and 10 others.

So i am officially an unemployed bum.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The company I have been working for since March last year has been going through a lot of financial troubles over the last 6 months.
After some pretty bad management decisions they went on and off stop credit continuously with most of their suppliers.
This has led to people leaving and not being replaced and over the last couple of months they have been making people redundant.

I'm confident your skill set will have you landed in a new position quickly! Sometimes it's best to be booted from a company to discover the greener opportunities that are out there and undiscovered! All the best!

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Been there too many times myself. As Catpaw said you will fins something better. My advice is don’t settle for what comes first. You want something that you will enjoy!

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

They did you a favour, just be an unemployed bum, I love it. 😂

What about taking this time now and going on a grand tour in your Grenny !!

You live in a lovely huge country, go be the first to take an IG down some of those famous trails you have. CSR ??

Anyway I haven’t got time to write anymore as I have to go out for a run and rush back to do whatever I damn well please with my time. 😃

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:52 AM
Reaction score

Second time in a relatively short period, I'm sorry to hear you are in the same predicament. Time to call it a day? We've both done our fair share, (and I gather for the bulk of our time both in the water industry in one form or another)

CJV

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m not sure if this thread will interest anyone, but I find peoples‘ careers and life’s professional journeys interesting. I’m not interested in your salary, corporate perks, bragging rights, or you simply trying to plug your own business, but what do you currently “do?” Or retired from? Or have done? I know @Stu_Barnes has lead an interesting life!

My Land Rover club is rather small but we’ve come from all different directions. We’ve helped one another out by sharing our various vocations and careers.

My path is a bit crooked. Made it through half an engineering degree but fell in love with journalism. Graduated with from Uni with a camera in hand and entered the newspaper and magazine business as a photojournalist. Shot for a few years, became an editor and department head and … burnt out by working too hard, for too little in a thankless, dying industry.

I managed to put all those math and engineering credits to use though, earning my teaching certificate and becoming a middle school (grades 6&7 so 12-13 YO) math teacher. I ultimately (and thankfully) escaped math and came full circle - I now teach photography and digital design to high school kids. I’m in my 20th year and can’t wait for summer!

So what about you?

Again, if you guys think this is lame, I’ll just can the thread. But we’re a true global community who’s diversity makes it great.
Geologist for Terraphase Engineering, Inc.

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:52 AM
Reaction score
I am an in-house lawyer that lived in Asia for 15 years and now work as a lead lawyer for a transportation company here in Chicago. But that isn’t me personally. Personally, I love my family, skiing and classic cars! That is my real life! Work is just a way to finance my real life.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:52 PM
Reaction score
Second time in a relatively short period, I'm sorry to hear you are in the same predicament. Time to call it a day? We've both done our fair share, (and I gather for the bulk of our time both in the water industry in one form or another)
Yes
Last time I jumped at the first job that came along without putting a lot of thought into it.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Just remember,

“You only need one more job than the one you have.”

I ran my career that way, and it worked out.
No Grenadiers seen in Japan yet.
But I’m optimistic, so I’ll keep looking.

Local time
Reaction score
Draughtsman all over the place, landscape painter, art teacher, Boston taxi driver, sail stitcher for Ted Hood, electronics assembler, piecework art/crafts assembler, masseuse, nurse's aide, au pair, short order cook...
Retired, now just pushover for adopted senior dogs.

Last edited:

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Draughtsman all over the place, landscape painter, art teacher, Boston taxi driver, sail stitcher for Ted Hood, electronics assembler, piecework art/crafts assembler, masseuse, nurse's aide, au pair, short order cook...
A rich and colourful career! Many shoes walked in!

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As a masseuse was the “Bob Kraft Special” on the menu? 😅

Local time
Reaction score
As a masseuse was the “Bob Kraft Special” on the menu? 😅
hahaha It was a supposedly legitimate outfit in Manchester, NH. That tells you something right there. I'd been emptying **** buckets in a nursing home so it was a step up. What some of the employees did in their spare time didn't matter to me. I got fired for swearing at the boss.

Back
Top Bottom