The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What do you do for a living?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:46 PM
Reaction score
A lot of great careers and stories shared on this thread. I think I have the most boring job out of everyone. I’ve worked in risk management at a large bank for about 10 years. Also have ownership in various businesses. I’ve never been a huge car guy but I fcking love my grenadier. I get excited to drive it every day.
My neighbour was head of risk management at Barclays bank and now head of Wells Fargo (Europe & Africa I think). Judging by his house, life was pretty rewarding in that business.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Perhaps its time for a little about me,

Well the family is from the North West of the UK Barrow in Furness and Liverpool/St Helens, we moved to South Wales when I was a child in the very early 80’s and I grew up there in a small market town in the Wye valley surrounded by farms and woodland. Most of my friends families had 'working' Land Rovers and in the classic farmer style, when they eventually gave up the ghost they then became part of the local topography. I must be one of the rare people that have never driven a Land Rover (series or defender) on a real road. Its all be off-road and farm tracks.

When I finished school I won a scholarship with the merchant navy and spent the next 20 years crossing the globe, living in OZ, Germany, France, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden & Italy between and during projects as well as a few other places that I spent time in for extended periods.

Finishing up with the Merchant navy after working with Cruise lines, Gas carriers, Ferries, Rig supply boats, Bulk carriers and ROV vessels amongst many others I side stepped into the luxury yacht industry. There I operated, managed and represented the build of various large yachts (up to about 300ft LOA, that one is for you @Jean Mercier ) This was the first time my path crossed with the Grenadiers Designer, Toby Ecuyer and ironically would not be the last. Before anyone asks, no I haven't worked for Sir Jim, but I have worked of some pretty well known individuals that I'll not get into here for obvious reasons. Monaco GP, Cannes Film festival and various regattas were the order of the day.

View attachment 7844421

(yes a Unimog can tow this)

I always had an affinity for machines and cars in particular and became pretty active in the Lotus owners club and forum https://www.thelotusforums.com/ this is where the template became apparent for me that a small volume manufacturer can have a direct and purposeful link to the enthusiast base.

Flashing forward a little I met my now wife in Peru during a charity fund raising trip with the adventurists and after crossing the Andes twice in a mercilessly unreliable Chinese rip off of a Honda (google Lifan) and a lot of flights back and forth to the States (Bremen to LA is not a fun commute 3-4 times a month) immigrated officially and gave up the marine engineer mantle for husband, dad, office manager and latterly forum dogs body.

I got bak into Land Rovers in California as part nostalgia (wasn't going to be racing in track days any more, nor could afford to financially support that rabbit hole) and part necessity as my eldest wanted to go off-roading and unbeknown to me COVID was just around the corner, this turned out to be a fantastic idea. and instrumental in keeping us sane and cohesive as a family.
There are few vehicles capable of doing everything I needed and within my budget with competence here so the Discovery 4 / LR4 in the states was bought, classic Defenders and Series vehicles are obscenely expensive over here and importing is pretty difficult to California. After a while I started to put together videos for people, helping them with their LR4 maintenance and fielded a lot of questions from members of the SOCAL Land Rovers Owners Club and trouble shooting rather more than I expected.

That brings me to the Grenadier. Several years ago when I first heard about the project and then with the impetus that followed I was searching for a Grenadier community that wasn’t reddit or Facebook. As we know this didn't really exist, so after picking the brains of some tech savvy friends this pulls us right to present day. Here we are with a vibrant community of likeminded souls as well as global car club put together from the ground up for a vehicle that didn't even exist in real terms yet…..

I still can’t believe that a forum wasn’t created for the Grenadier before this one, its baffling, but I do know that its communities like this one which keep a vehicle platform alive and 3rd party manufacturers interested, encouraging them to develop products for this emotionally important (at least to me) vehicle.

Ok, time for a cup of tea. I've a video to edit with us, Greg and a few new friends.......

(@Jean Mercier LOA Length overall)
Fascinating read and a good explanation as to how, as an Englishman, you ended up in the USA.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:46 AM
Reaction score
My neighbour was head of risk management at Barclays bank and now head of Wells Fargo (Europe & Africa I think). Judging by his house, life was pretty rewarding in that business.
given he is your neighbor yours must not be too bad either 😀

I came from oil and financials , both good careers. Grew up very traditional blue collar with about 50% of my family Union and the other half professional.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
given he is your neighbor yours must not be too bad either 😀

I came from oil and financials , both good careers. Grew up very traditional blue collar with about 50% of my family Union and the other half professional.
Hi Ragman
I live in a very rural area and my other neighbour in the opposite direction is Oil & Financials. I am also in Oil & Gas, but offshore. Diving intervention, mainly North Sea but with worksites all over the world.(Subsea7)
I also pass the home of one of Ineos's directors, every time I head to the local shop or pub. He has a Shale Blue Grenadier. Not actually met him yet but everyone asks me do I know him, as we have the same vehicle.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Ragman
I live in a very rural area and my other neighbour in the opposite direction is Oil & Financials. I am also in Oil & Gas, but offshore. Diving intervention, mainly North Sea but with worksites all over the world.(Subsea7)
I also pass the home of one of Ineos's directors, every time I head to the local shop or pub. He has a Shale Blue Grenadier. Not actually met him yet but everyone asks me do I know him, as we have the same vehicle.
Sounds like we need to go to the pub and meet some people! As an aside I am not sure if you are an Overland Bound member but one of the members on the forum @Grubworm is an ex-oil/gas diver, I am sure you guys could have some great chats!

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
5:46 AM
Reaction score
Hi Ragman

Would that be the cfo?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds like we need to go to the pub and meet some people! As an aside I am not sure if you are an Overland Bound member but one of the members on the forum @Grubworm is an ex-oil/gas diver, I am sure you guys could have some great chats!
Hi Ragman
Great idea. Where are you based? There is another guy on here also in the same business. I think he is an Aus’, living in France and works for one of our competitors. Hope to bump into him in Aberdeen or Peterhead. I am not a member of the group you mentioned but I will look it up.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Ragman
Great idea. Where are you based? There is another guy on here also in the same business. I think he is an Aus’, living in France and works for one of our competitors. Hope to bump into him in Aberdeen or Peterhead. I am not a member of the group you mentioned but I will look it up.
I am in Chicago so I suspect it will be a while before a meet up! Expect to be in UK this September but doesn't look like I will be in your neck of the woods. Looking at the map I see Cheshire near Liverpool, surprised bankers not living in London area?

Reactions: Max

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am in Chicago so I suspect it will be a while before a meet up! Expect to be in UK this September but doesn't look like I will be in your neck of the woods. Looking at the map I see Cheshire near Liverpool, surprised bankers not living in London area?
Only two hours on the train or less by helicopter 🤷‍♂️😁
Besides, this part of the world surrounded by three large cities (Liverpool, Manchester & Birmingham), with associated football teams, etc, so plenty of cash in the North west.
Spent a good proportion of mine though, in the purchase of my Grenadier.

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I work on GPU Computing Solution, including the current and coming top500 Supercomputers, as well Deep Learning solutions for GPU's, long way from where I started in School as Material Scientist. Still get to use number of the skill I learned from then.

Back
Top Bottom