The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Australasia What controls these wires

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:10 PM
Reaction score
I don`t understand why the Grenadier has so much electrical stuff. When I see all the wires and electrical stuff every where in the car, behind every panel you find lots of cables. Shouldn`t the Grenadier be a reliable workhorse with as less electrical stuff as possible? How will it be in 10 or 20 years? Going over uneven roads, potholes, washboards etc. the cables will move and there could be shortcuts, disconnecting. Look to the travel blog of Logsplitter!
I don`t need rear windows heating and wipers, seat heating and the switches in the roof, etc.. I would like to pay the same price for the grenadier in a much simpler, more reliable version, with the old gauges: odometer, rpm-meter, clock ...., not these screens( you see they are not reliable).
Oh, I love my old Defender every day more! Where is the reliable, easy reachable dipstick to check the oil level?
Please Ineos make a simpler Grenadier for the real Defender lovers and one for the BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, Lexus 500 drivers, who need more Bling Bling.
I want to do self maintenance, but with this Grenadier, it will be difficult! I want to travel overland, sleep in the car like with my old Defender!
I beg your pardon, but this is my opinion.
To be fair, the radiator mounts and transfer case cables that Logsplitter seems to have the most trouble with would probably not be any different on your stripped down model. At least if they kept the Bimmer engine and mechanical transfer case.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:10 PM
Reaction score
I don`t understand why the Grenadier has so much electrical stuff. When I see all the wires and electrical stuff every where in the car, behind every panel you find lots of cables. Shouldn`t the Grenadier be a reliable workhorse with as less electrical stuff as possible? How will it be in 10 or 20 years? Going over uneven roads, potholes, washboards etc. the cables will move and there could be shortcuts, disconnecting. Look to the travel blog of Logsplitter!
I don`t need rear windows heating and wipers, seat heating and the switches in the roof, etc.. I would like to pay the same price for the grenadier in a much simpler, more reliable version, with the old gauges: odometer, rpm-meter, clock ...., not these screens( you see they are not reliable).
Oh, I love my old Defender every day more! Where is the reliable, easy reachable dipstick to check the oil level?
Please Ineos make a simpler Grenadier for the real Defender lovers and one for the BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, Lexus 500 drivers, who need more Bling Bling.
I want to do self maintenance, but with this Grenadier, it will be difficult! I want to travel overland, sleep in the car like with my old Defender!
I beg your pardon, but this is my opinion.
Just to speak on a few points here...

The Grenadier has <20 control modules, roughly 20-30% of what would be found in the average vehicle in it competes with.

Not having rear window heating and wipers, etc. simply isn't a way to sell vehicles. The market of buyers for the Grenadier is, to use one word, small. Deleting the few creature comforts it does have would reduce that number to a very very miniscule amount of potential buyers, leaving the price the same as current would reduce that even further.

The fact is that in 2024 it is not feasible (or legal in many countries) to make a vehicle that is akin to one made 30+ years ago. I suggest that if you want all those features of your old Defender, then simply keep your Defender.... Or buy a rehabbed one from one of the many companies that charge more than a Grenadier for one

Roger

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:10 AM
Reaction score
The reality is the manufacturer must comply to EACH nations jurisdictional rules and regulations in so many ways including design, safety features and consumer, business and tax law. It does mean that they can't put a super basic model vehicle in certain markets. Probably if they make a version for Inner Mongolia (LDH) or Nepal (RHD) it might be stripped down, but I doubt it. I reckon they must be going crazy with the required variants. I recall how General Motors in the USA a few years ago pulled out of all RHD markets. And whilst that was a significant percentage of the market that gutsy decision was for efficiency and simplification of design/construction reasons. I don't envy IA in making a simple car.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:10 PM
Reaction score
I started trying to figure out which of the 4 wires under the rear seat are live and when. Had time to do 3 of the 4, assumed the black was ground. It seems the yellow/red stripe is live all the time. I got nothing for voltage on the gray and lavender when the car is off/accessories on/running/braking. Confused as to what they could be for. They aren't switched AFAIK so I don't think that's the issue. Anybody else played with these? I really only need 1 live as I plan to do a fuse block, but I'd prefer it to be ignition only so I don't need to worry about forgetting to turn off a radio or unplugging an accessory.

Back
Top Bottom