The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Australasia What controls these wires

Roger

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:18 AM
Reaction score
battery area wires.jpgbattery area wires 2.jpg
These wires have been battery area wires have been discussed, However I cannot find any description of how they are turned off. I have removed the factory heat shrink.
At the moment the brown wire remain powered and the black is ground, they are probably around a 14G. I have ensured the battery control switch on the overhead console is off, and the ignition is off and the key removed.
I was hoping to power a UHF transceiver by it but if I cannot switch it off, the radio will exhaust the battery. (BTW, to remove the total frustration of removing and replacing the 2 piece battery/wiring area plastic covers I cut them in half with tin snips. Eeezy peezy now.
Any advice from the brains trust?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7840068View attachment 7840069
These wires have been battery area wires have been discussed, However I cannot find any description of how they are turned off. I have removed the factory heat shrink.
At the moment the brown wire remain powered and the black is ground, they are probably around a 14G. I have ensured the battery control switch on the overhead console is off, and the ignition is off and the key removed.
I was hoping to power a UHF transceiver by it but if I cannot switch it off, the radio will exhaust the battery. (BTW, to remove the total frustration of removing and replacing the 2 piece battery/wiring area plastic covers I cut them in half with tin snips. Eeezy peezy now.
These were intentended for a “dust gun” I assume that means compressor, I believe the circuit is rated at 40amp. They don’t have a switch but one of the wires is an ignition connection so you can put in a relay and connect it to that so it will switch the circuit on when the ignition is turned on.

Roger

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
These were intentended for a “dust gun” I assume that means compressor, I believe the circuit is rated at 40amp. They don’t have a switch but one of the wires is an ignition connection so you can put in a relay and connect it to that so it will switch the circuit on when the ignition is turned on.
Thank you. I am therefor assuming the yellow wire is the relay active wire? Do you know if the brown or small yellow wire is fused?

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:18 PM
Reaction score
Checkout the link below from @Jean Mercier , really good wiring diagram.

Post in thread 'ARB single compressor install , the painful way .'
https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...tall-the-painful-way.12413024/post-1333232671

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Must be something different on the US model. I thought the UK and AU spec only had 3 wires, one of which was brown.

Of course a simple wiring diagram would answer these questions, but based on past performance, you will not get that.

Why do INEOS provide wire ends and then leave you in the dark?

Page 33 of the US Owners Manual does not seem to help, the list goes over the page but no circuit is rated at 40 amps - which may mean that circuit has a different rating). I could not see spare switch for that circuit.

1707289225795.png

Last edited:

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:18 AM
Reaction score
Must be something different on the US model. I thought the UK and AU spec only had 3 wires, one of which was brown.

Of course a simple wiring diagram would answer these questions, but based on past performance, you will not get that.
Yeah. The wires in mine are all the same size too. @Tinki's wire below is definitely brown, and it looks like the yellow is a smaller gauge.
IMG_9188.jpeg

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah. The wires in mine are all the same size too. @Tinki's wire below is definitely brown, and it looks like the yellow is a smaller gauge.
View attachment 7842941
Do you have an inverter installed? If yes it rules out being concerned with the inverter (which AU and UK models do no have).

In the Owners manual I could not even see where the inverter switch is, just where the plugs are.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do you have an inverter installed?
Yes. I'll try to see if I can figure out more tomorrow. Not an electrician by any stretch but I have enough tools to trick myself into figuring things out sometimes.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There is more fuse and electrical information in the US Owner's Manual than other manuals I have seen. INEOS tell you where the footwell wire ends are and even have a diagram showing you.

Last edited:

Aussie Battler

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
there are spare wires inside the kick panel either side and can be on permantly or with ignitoin .I have just wired my uhf to the passenger side wires putting the unit under the glove box . See canny outdoors you tube video on fitting uhf radio ,very helpful

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:18 PM
Reaction score

Why do INEOS provide wire ends and then leave you in the dark?

Page 33 of the US Owners Manual does not seem to help, the list goes over the page but no circuit is rated at 40 amps - which may mean that circuit has a different rating). I could not see spare switch for that circuit.

View attachment 7842945
Yes U.K. models do have three wires fused by no F113. 40 A IMG_1698.jpegIMG_0284.png

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The US Owners Manual does not have much information on the optional Auxiliary Switch Panel, which is where the switch controlling that circuit may be.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think they probably aren't switched. I am reading up on tow brake controllers. One wire may be live with braking to make that setup easier.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:18 PM
Reaction score
Just throwing this consideration out there.... This may very well be a MY23 vs MY24 difference we're finding

Local time
8:18 PM
Reaction score
I don`t understand why the Grenadier has so much electrical stuff. When I see all the wires and electrical stuff every where in the car, behind every panel you find lots of cables. Shouldn`t the Grenadier be a reliable workhorse with as less electrical stuff as possible? How will it be in 10 or 20 years? Going over uneven roads, potholes, washboards etc. the cables will move and there could be shortcuts, disconnecting. Look to the travel blog of Logsplitter!
I don`t need rear windows heating and wipers, seat heating and the switches in the roof, etc.. I would like to pay the same price for the grenadier in a much simpler, more reliable version, with the old gauges: odometer, rpm-meter, clock ...., not these screens( you see they are not reliable).
Oh, I love my old Defender every day more! Where is the reliable, easy reachable dipstick to check the oil level?
Please Ineos make a simpler Grenadier for the real Defender lovers and one for the BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, Lexus 500 drivers, who need more Bling Bling.
I want to do self maintenance, but with this Grenadier, it will be difficult! I want to travel overland, sleep in the car like with my old Defender!
I beg your pardon, but this is my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom