The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

warning - self locking grenadier with keys inside

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:35 PM
Reaction score
A locksmith may be able to cut just a blade key to take swimming with you or hide outside somewhere
I wonder how special the blank is?
My old Porsche 928 key requires a special jig for the chunky key (designed to prevent the average locksmith copying it)
I had to use a locksmith in Melbourne.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
To answer a couple of the questions-
no, so far have not replicated it, but have had little opportunity.
this is not the auto re-lock feature, if you remote unlock and dont open a door. That’s a seperate thing, that cant lock a key in.
the only setting that was activated on the screen was one labelled ‘auto unlock’ - could this be a mislabelling? I turned it off.

leaving a cut blank under the car is what I agree is sensible. Unfortunately leaving a full key with electronics isnt practical.
and Dave, there is no lock button in the car, other than an electronic button on the drivers door. I doubt that will let you lock with doors open- I’ll try it.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is one of the main benefits of the spare wheel lock box. You lock the main key in it and take the little box key swimming.
I agree, great use of the box, but im still v cautious with swimming and beaches. having a key come off the string /out of pocket in the water is not uncommon (not me, but friends) and losing anything small on a beach is extremely easy to do - or a sandy campsite, or swamp, or…

So many reasons why over the years I put my keys somewhere inside the car, and leave it open. When ‘out bush’ that is the only way to be sure of the vehicle being usable, by whoever in the party gets to the car first, for whatever emergency or next thing is happening.

i think I might find a place to screw a combination keysafe, with a key blank. Then if so,eone cracks it they ca get in, but not easily start the car.

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think you’ll find this is a common thing with cars that don’t recognise if the key is still inside when it’s removed from the ignition. I’ve known this to happen to someone in another brand of vehicle at the top of our driveway when they got out to empty some rubbish. It’s also a problem that results in babies being locked in vehicles from time to time, and those usually make the news.
My wife had a bmw x5 only a month old and left her keys on the parcel shelf putting groceries in. Pressed close button on tailgate and voila - car locked and keys on car despite bmw assuring us that can’t happen. Thankfully I had spare key with me at work and bmw dealer kindly sent a taxi to me to grab my key and deliver it to my wife. And once we know of friends with be beetle who we’re locked in their own car cos it auto locked when they were in it, and it wouldn’t open from the inside. That was scary. So happens in many brands. Not just grenadier.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I agree, great use of the box, but im still v cautious with swimming and beaches. having a key come off the string /out of pocket in the water is not uncommon (not me, but friends) and losing anything small on a beach is extremely easy to do - or a sandy campsite, or swamp, or…

So many reasons why over the years I put my keys somewhere inside the car, and leave it open. When ‘out bush’ that is the only way to be sure of the vehicle being usable, by whoever in the party gets to the car first, for whatever emergency or next thing is happening.

i think I might find a place to screw a combination keysafe, with a key blank. Then if so,eone cracks it they ca get in, but not easily start the car.
Alternatively you could just leave the lock box key on the beach with shoes/towel etc. It’s fairly generic & anonymous so unless someone saw you walk from your vehicle there’s very little chance they would take it and be able to retrieve the car keys.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:35 PM
Reaction score
This whole 'key can lock inside a car accidently' thing is a joke - no vehicle should ever have such a feature! Grab your groceries, walk to fridge, come back, OH DAMN!!! If that happens with the wife in charge it will be listed for sale ASAP!

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This whole 'key can lock inside a car accidently' thing is a joke - no vehicle should ever have such a feature! Grab your groceries, walk to fridge, come back, OH DAMN!!! If that happens with the wife in charge it will be listed for sale ASAP!
Maybe it will lock with wife inside 😳😂

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Just train yourself to remember my survival saying : " think of the worst case scenario, and double it!"
You will then put in place preventative measures. For many potential disasters.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just train yourself to remember my survival saying : " think of the worst case scenario, and double it!"
You will then put in place preventative measures. For many potential disasters.
On the rare occasion I lock my house I have developed a habit of having my keys in the hand I close the door with.
If I can't see the keys I don't close the door.
Only ever been locked out once.

It is so stupid that you can lock your keys in your house.
I have thought about contacting the home builder but he/she/they/them probably died 100 years ago.
I could contact the door lock manufacturer but they would probably tell me to make sure I take my keys with me when I close the door.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
We just keep a spare outside. Worked for us as kids, figured our kids could benefit from simple wisdom!

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
how much for the wife?

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Btw, I cannot de-select the option to open only the drivers door first. That option toggle is greyed out.
this means that i cant open the other doors with one key fob click (and the second click has to be spaced by a beat or two).Does anyone else have this?
agent suggests this should be picked up in an update, but not sure when. Just interested how many affected, it is only a minor thing.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
IA intended for you to always leave the glass out of the Safari windows. Problem solved.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Btw, I cannot de-select the option to open only the drivers door first. That option toggle is greyed out.
this means that i cant open the other doors with one key fob click (and the second click has to be spaced by a beat or two).Does anyone else have this?
agent suggests this should be picked up in an update, but not sure when. Just interested how many affected, it is only a minor thing.
Mine is like this. I’m hoping it gets sorted when the software updates.. Auto unlocking all doors only happens when you open the passenger door From the inside. To open all doors when unlocking, you double click the fob.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Today I tested mine and no matter how I tried it would not lock itself. It will only re lock if I unlock it with the remote but then fail to open one of the doors.
Mine has the latest 1946 full update, so perhaps Ineos have cured the problem?

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I also ran a test today.

Lock the car, unlock without opening a door and the car will automatically relock itself after 20 seconds. Interestingly, the DRLs and taillights stay on for about 40 seconds after locking.

Unlock the car, open a door for 20 seconds, close it again and the vehicle will not relock itself automatically.

My car is only 5 days old and according to the dealer does not have the latest software update.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
On the rare occasion I lock my house I have developed a habit of having my keys in the hand I close the door with.
If I can't see the keys I don't close the door.
Only ever been locked out once.

Keys, wallet, phone, glasses...check. Lock door.

It is so stupid that you can lock your keys in your house.
I have thought about contacting the home builder but he/she/they/them probably died 100 years ago.
I could contact the door lock manufacturer but they would probably tell me to make sure I take my keys with me when I close the door.

Most manufacturers here makes two versions of exterior door locks - one that will stay locked after opening the door from the inside, and one that will unlock as you open the door (or requires manual unlocking to exit). Pick up the right lock at the hardware store, have any locksmith re-key to match your current key, and install. It's a ten minute swap.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
We've never owned any car with electronic door locks and never that used any sort of fob gizmo to do so. Every passenger of more than a few minutes gets a key and multiple doors can be opened by anyone who needs to get in whether the driver is present or not. Really helpful on long backpacking trips, if parties separate, unexpected illnesses, danger, etc as no one stands around waiting to load gear/ get dry/ get safe/ access first aid, etc. At the end of trips we're usually warm and comfy at the pub while others are still sifting through their gear looking for a fob (with dead batteries) or the one key that someone swears they brought but can't remember where they put it.

I surfed for 25 years and never lost a car key but I always kept a spare hidden somewhere on the vehicle. We've never had a vehicle stolen (though I borrowed one once and it was immediately stolen out of a locked and guarded car park so:unsure:) and only ever had one break in in 50 years of driving (punk smashed a window and took some gym clothes). The Grenadier will be a very difficult transition for us. We hope to disable all the auto-locking features and use physical keys only. Not sure it will be possible. It would be nice if Ineos made that an option. Please.

(Sorry for another long post.)

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
So, I discovered that the Grenadier is capable of locking itself, with the keys inside.

Having driven up my street to where we were practising bushfire fighting, and therefore expecting to be getting wet, I took the key out of the ignition and left it by the gearstick, and shut the door.
When I returned to the car some time later, it had locked itself. It is not possible that I pushed the keyfob, and no one touched the car in the interim (fully in view). The second key fob is a very long way away.

There is no obvious setting in the vehicle settings to enable or disable this, but most of the 'smart' central locking functions were inactive.
The dealer (who was superb in supporting me, a continuing track record of excellent backup for Alex and Purnell in Sydney) does not know how this "feature" is to be controlled, or if it is intentional or not.

Obviously, don't trust the car and leave keys in without windows open, until we get this sorted.
If it happens, roadside assistance can not effect entry, tell them about the double door seals, and you may avoid wasting hours for that step before escalation.
An automotive locksmith is required, and they will appreciate being told that a Renault type tool will work (I think from vans); the lock may be from the same French supplier Renault uses.

Bon voyage....
My (2005) G500 has a similar problem, that I have noticed on a number of occasions. When the Rear (cargo) door is open (often when getting stuff out of the cargo area) the doors will lock themselves after a couple of minutes. And if (as has happened once when out in the bookdocks) I do not realize it and have placed the keys in the vehicle, closing the cargo door means you are locked out.....

ipcrss

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have attempted to get a spare (dumb) key cut using an on-line service cutting to the key code and a good photo of the original. This is just in case I need a spare to let others into the car who get there first or in case of accidentally locking the keys in. I do not want to use the official spare for this. I told the cutter that the van was Ineos Grenadier but possibly a Renault lock and it looked like a VA6/2 blank. He told me that based on the image the blank was likely to be a VA8 (Citroen and perhaps others) and he said he cut it to code. The key that arrived and looked very similar and would lock the door easily but unlocking could only be achieved by pushing the key down (not inwards) whilst turning. First time users would not gain access and pushing/forcing keys is not a good idea. I measured the blank and it was 7.00mm wide compared to 7.30mm on the original using my cheap vernier calipers. This difference pushed the milling profile to one side of the blank. I asked if another key could be cut on a wider blank but after a friendly chat I was told that it would be better to buy a Toy51 (toyota) blank and get the key copied at a cobblers using a cloning/copying machine as it could not not be sucessfully cut from the code. He could copy it if a sent him an original. I am told that the key has 8 indents and 4 depths. The difference in blank width was dismissed and within tolerance of the lock but Iooking at the two keys the 0.3mm is noticable. There appear to be several variations of the Toy51 blank and some look like the grenadier but none I have found give a width measurement.
Has anyone else had a spare key cut?

Back
Top Bottom