The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:23 PM
Reaction score
Just arrived back from a visit at LeTech, where they have 2 customer vehicles on display. One has VIN xxxx706, which seems very low. The LeTech guy told me he assumes that the prototypes also had VINs, so this one must be _very_ close to the first batch...
It appears from the various prototype VINS that they didn't have a common/sequential numbering range for the last 6 digits, and so it's hard to know where to start counting from for Launch Series. Was JOB#1 000001 or maybe 000437?

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It appears from the various prototype VINS that they didn't have a common/sequential numbering range for the last 6 digits, and so it's hard to know where to start counting from for Launch Series. Was JOB#1 000001 or maybe 000437?
Hence the phrase " computer generated"

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:23 PM
Reaction score
I modified a previous post, and apologized @Halliwell Jones Chester concerning a VIN number and yes or no left hand drive (LHD) or right hand drive (RHD).

After putting some of the VIN number in an Excel file, I think position 8 is the clue to RHD and LHD:
  • A = LHD
  • B = RHD
And position 7 is probably petrol or diesel:
  • A = petrol
  • D = diesel
(I am not the first to make these assumptions anyway)

Halliwell Jones Chester

Commercial Account
INEOS Agent/Dealer (verified)
Local time
Reaction score
throwing-computer-ron-swanson.gif

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Position 9 of the VIN number is indeed quite erratic!
I collected (on this forum and elsewhere) 15 partial or complete VIN numbers and the following numbers appeared: 0, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, O, X.
X appeared 3 times (I belong to the X), 4, 6 and 7 twice, and all the other numbers once, unless the O was a zero (what I suspect).
Therefore I think it has something to do with the "model", but I am not sure.

I have also a possible explanation on the serial number.
Although I will (I hope) be one of the early owners, my serial number is "1312", way above the 3 digits.

What if they build first 1000 cars "right hand drive" (RHD) for the UK and Australia mainly, then 1000 for Europe, etc.
Job #1 was a RHD!

Any thoughts?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Position 9 of the VIN number is indeed quite erratic!
I collected (on this forum and elsewhere) 15 partial or complete VIN numbers and the following numbers appeared: 0, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, O, X.
X appeared 3 times (I belong to the X), 4, 6 and 7 twice, and all the other numbers once, unless the O was a zero (what I suspect).
Therefore I think it has something to do with the "model", but I am not sure.

Although I will (I hope) be one of the early owners, my serial number is "1312", way above the 3 digits.

What if they build first 1000 cars "right hand drive" (RHD) for the UK and Australia mainly, then 1000 for Europe, etc.
Job #1 was a RHD!

Any thoughts?
Random computer generated digit

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
X appeared 3 times (I belong to the X)
I think your chassis may have been marked because you wrote to the CEO. 😜
, 4, 6 and 7 twice, and all the other numbers once, unless the O was a zero (what I suspect).
Yes I think the O (letter) was a 0 (number) as the VIN Standard states that the letters I, O and Q shall not be used.

Job #1 was a RHD!

Any thoughts?
Yes, there's a logic in batch allocation of chassis numbers, especially if the chassis themselves are handed rather than having holes/brackets for both.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:23 PM
Reaction score
Position 9 is the check digit for VIN validation, calculated from the VIN number. It can be 0-9 or an X (if the calculated value is 10). Check digits are compulsory for VIN numbers in the USA and Canada, but optional elsewhere. So it appears that Ineos have implemented it for all their VIN numbers. Further details including how the check digit is calculated here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number.

As a test I calculated the check digit for @Jean Mercier's VIN and came up with a value of 10 which matches the X in his 9th position.

Cheers

Steve

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Position 9 is the check digit for VIN validation, calculated from the VIN number. It can be 0-9 or an X (if the calculated value is 10). Check digits are compulsory for VIN numbers in the USA and Canada, but optional elsewhere. So it appears that Ineos have implemented it for all their VIN numbers. Further details including how the check digit is calculated here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number.

As a test I calculated the check digit for @Jean Mercier's VIN and came up with a value of 10 which matches the X in his 9th position.

Cheers

Steve
Even if my name isn't Thomas, and I am not a Saint either, ;) I checked my check digit! In fact, I did believe you, but I wanted to understand how it works.
I also checked 4 others (I did put a simplified formula in Excel).
You are completely right! 👏

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well that was simple. 😢

So we are just left with the 6th digit to decode possibly?

So far only a 1 or a 2; and M are all 1 and N are all 2...

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well that was simple. 😢

Having now worked out this mind of information - what exactly are you going to do with all this knowledge?

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Having now worked out this mind of information - what exactly are you going to do with all this knowledge?
Hopefully schedule it out, so that a classic car nut in 2053 can understand what his newly purchased used Grenadier was at build, before the fusion unit and habitation module!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It's already done ~ shared with the community here.

I'm pretty sure someone new will come along at some time in the future and ask "anyone know what the letters and numbers in my VIN mean?"

We can talk axle codes next... 😜
FB_IMG_1632032802052.jpg

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well that was simple. 😢

I'm pretty comfortable that M = Passenger and N = Commercial as this is the terminology Ineos appear to use.

As for 1 & 2 my speculation is perhaps 1= 5 Seats and 2 = 2 Seats??

Cheers
Steve

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm pretty comfortable that M = Passenger and N = Commercial as this is the terminology Ineos appear to use.
Definitely used in UK, EU even, but is the terminology used in US, Oz, Row markets?

As for 1 & 2 my speculation is perhaps 1= 5 Seats and 2 = 2 Seats??
Hopefully not as I have 2 but ordered 5 seats. 😕

Last edited:

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Definitely used in UK, EU even, but is the terminology used in US, Oz, Row markets?

Hopefully not as I have 2 but ordered 5 seats. 😕
Time will tell. We need more data and some vins matched to actual specs. Wrt to Australia I don’t know when the first customer cars will actually land so until then we’re in the dark.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom