The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Vanity License Plates

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:36 AM
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense :) Pre 1973, black and silver was the norm.

Military personnel stationed in Europe used them for many years beyond those dates - not sure what the score is these days.
I was once told in the UK that the original licence plate number always remains with the vehicle, even if it is sold. But how does this fit in with the fact that some vehicles then have a personalised number plates, such as BOSS or IANS G?

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
I was once told in the UK that the original licence plate number always remains with the vehicle, even if it is sold. But how does this fit in with the fact that some vehicles then have a personalised number plates, such as BOSS or IANS G?
My previous vehicle to Grenadier had the original reg put back on when I took my plate off. It used to be simple to sell registrations on old vehicles but if I remember rightly they clamped down on that. I wrote my first car off and if had sold plate prior to MOT expirering could have got it back on the road. Being only 17 didn't realise the value until it was too late, it would be worth far more now. DVLA sells lots of various plates, new.and old and most sellers are just marking up the DVLA ones or current private ones. I am guessing they must come from cars that have been written off on the DVLA and then become available.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My previous vehicle to Grenadier had the original reg put back on when I took my plate off. It used to be simple to sell registrations on old vehicles but if I remember rightly they clamped down on that. I wrote my first car off and if had sold plate prior to MOT expirering could have got it back on the road. Being only 17 didn't realise the value until it was too late, it would be worth far more now. DVLA sells lots of various plates, new.and old and most sellers are just marking up the DVLA ones or current private ones. I am guessing they must come from cars that have been written off on the DVLA and then become available.
Thank you for your feedback. Then I can also find out from the DVLA in Swansea which original number belonged to which vehicle? Maybe I'll ask there. I've been in contact with them before.

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback. Then I can also find out from the DVLA in Swansea which original number belonged to which vehicle? Maybe I'll ask there. I've been in contact with them before.
Probably not, but who knows, too much bureaucracy and not enough staff

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Yep. My reg includes '110' and my initials. Pure fluke when it came on a Defender 110. So, I 'retained' it when I bought a new 110 a number of years later - then 'retained' it again to put on Maggie the Grenadier. Simple enough, and not outrageously expensive. My last Defender did then revert to the registration I bought it with.

Like you, I made a mistake and sold my 1962 Series IIa with the number SCF478 still in place. Should have kept that.

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
You can 'buy' private plates from the DVLA - some inexpensive, some ridiculously expensive. As long as you don't try to put a plate indicating a year that is newer that the vehicle. I have a private plate from 2018, so it includes '18'. It's fine on my 2018 Volvo, and I could have put it onto my Grenadier.... BUT not on any vehicle prior to 2018. To buy a plate, https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/

I don't know if it will help with registration number history: https://www.carcheck.co.uk/?gad_sou...MI6M2C_5T8hQMVHJhQBh0_og2nEAAYBCAAEgJsf_D_BwE

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You can 'buy' private plates from the DVLA - some inexpensive, some ridiculously expensive. As long as you don't try to put a plate indicating a year that is newer that the vehicle. I have a private plate from 2018, so it includes '18'. It's fine on my 2018 Volvo, and I could have put it onto my Grenadier.... BUT not on any vehicle prior to 2018. To buy a plate, https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/

I don't know if it will help with registration number history: https://www.carcheck.co.uk/?gad_sou...MI6M2C_5T8hQMVHJhQBh0_og2nEAAYBCAAEgJsf_D_BwE
Hi @Coullabus. Thank you for the explanation. Unfortunately, the page with the first link cannot be opened. For whatever reason.
The 2nd link with the carcheck is very helpful for me. Many thanks for that!

Manzino

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Got my custom front plate in over the weekend (another member here gave me the referral for this, but I can't find the post).

Vanity plate for the back is on deck.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-11 at 14.39.47.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-11 at 14.39.47.jpeg
    687.1 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom