The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Vanity License Plates

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:15 PM
Reaction score
I thought it might be an interesting touch for INEOS to designate their dealership locations as G SPOTS.
Funny when I played rugby, everyone called me Spot or Ji-Spot on the team. I had Ji Spot on my plate for years when I was single. Normally anything sexual is automatically denied at most DMVs, but this one got through.

I gave it up after I got married and had a daughter😂😂😁….hopefully karma will cut me some slack in the future🙏🙏😂😂

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:15 PM
Reaction score
Being a cheapskate, I took the plates directly off my Freelander 2 which have slightly larger rear plates compared to standard UK size and feel it has a better look with how it fits on the bumper

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Being a cheapskate, I took the plates directly off my Freelander 2 which have slightly larger rear plates compared to standard UK size and feel it has a better look with how it fits on the bumper
My dealer (secondhand car) knew I was going to put my private plate on the car - and had them made up for me at their expense. :)

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I wanted to make sure mine had no info for the dealer etc on it
The dealer I bought from mainly deals in high-end cars as far as I can see - so their name is small and discreet, But I know what you mean. When I bought my XC90 (brand new) I stated that I wanted zero dealer stickers. That worked :) Unfortunately UK law states that the plate suppliers name must be on the plate.

Not that anyone ever checks I'm sure!

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The dealer I bought from mainly deals in high-end cars as far as I can see - so their name is small and discreet, But I know what you mean. When I bought my XC90 (brand new) I stated that I wanted zero dealer stickers. That worked :) Unfortunately UK law states that the plate suppliers name must be on the plate.

you need to buy 'show plates' on-line made to UK standards but without dealer/manufacturers info, as you say, who checks!

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
you need to buy 'show plates' on-line made to UK standards but without dealer/manufacturers info, as you say, who checks!
Yep. Ebay is always a good place to look! But if they're free....? They threw in 12 months road tax as well after a delay at their end :)

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

The vehicle I bought 20 years ago as a used car in the UK did not have the name of the dealer directly under the license plate. Maybe because it was still black with silver lettering. Instead, the dealer's name was written in large letters on the spare wheel cover. It's now hanging in my garage.

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The vehicle I bought 20 years ago as a used car in the UK did not have the name of the dealer directly under the license plate. Maybe because it was still black with silver lettering. Instead, the dealer's name was written in large letters on the spare wheel cover. It's now hanging in my garage.
Black with silver lettering, 20 years ago, probably implied a UK military service person owned it. The UK had gone the white plate/front and yellow plate/rear well before that. Black with silver lettering harks back to the 1960's - it all changed 1973 with the introduction of the current colour scheme. Classic cars (classic in age that is) can still use black/silver, but not if manufactured after 01/01/1980.

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Having the plate manufacturer's name or just postcode is a 'fairly' new regulation for the UK. As stated, black and silver plates should be on vehicles over a certain age but again it doesn't stop everyone from using them on the basis of only being watched by speed cameras on the UKs roads. So many high performance vehicles don't even bother with a regulatory front plate or use one that is illegal as too small

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Black with silver lettering, 20 years ago, probably implied a UK military service person owned it. The UK had gone the white plate/front and yellow plate/rear well before that. Black with silver lettering harks back to the 1960's - it all changed 1973 with the introduction of the current colour scheme. Classic cars (classic in age that is) can still use black/silver, but not if manufactured after 01/01/1980.
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. It's my Series 2a Land Rover, built in 1963, which I bought 20 years ago. It had only one previous owner (it was not a military person) and still has the original black/silver license plate.

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Having the plate manufacturer's name or just postcode is a 'fairly' new regulation for the UK. As stated, black and silver plates should be on vehicles over a certain age but again it doesn't stop everyone from using them on the basis of only being watched by speed cameras on the UKs roads. So many high performance vehicles don't even bother with a regulatory front plate or use one that is illegal as too small
Spot on. Only the good get nicked!

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. It's my Series 2a Land Rover, built in 1963, which I bought 20 years ago. It had only one previous owner (it was not a military person) and still has the original black/silver license plate.
Makes perfect sense :) Pre 1973, black and silver was the norm.

Military personnel stationed in Europe used them for many years beyond those dates - not sure what the score is these days.

Back
Top Bottom