The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas USA Payload Stickers

Local time
10:09 AM
Reaction score
Well my fingers are crossed that this payload sticker won't be typical of production North American Grenadiers.

Re/ towing ... If this payload rating is somewhat typical then it seems difficult for a Grenadier to achieve its 7,700 lb tow capacity without exceeding its payload rating first, due to tongue weight. (i.e. camping trailers are typically 10% with some brands like Airstreams closer to 15%)

Weight on the hitch (weight dropped anywhere into/onto the vehicle) is payload. A weight distribution hitch can shift some of that from rear to front axle and, I suppose, back to the trailer axles. But a hitched trailer always takes away from the tow vehicle's remaining payload.

Someone please correct me if I'm not seeing this correctly.

I ran into a simlilar issue evaluating a new Defender for its tow capability. Making it worse, JLR does not want to see weight distribution hitches on their vehicles, like most European manufacturers I think, because they lack a frame capable of transferring forces forward I assume.
Yeah, you are right. Let's just say you have a 7,000 pound trailer, and just 10% of that weight is transferred to the vehicle. That's 700 pounds, and that is 100 pounds more than the total payload listed on the door sticker that I posted. So you'd be 100 pounds over payload without a driver or any gear in the vehicle.

My inclination is that these door stickers are FUBAR.

However, it is worth remembering that all published stats on payload and towing are maximums, and that maximums are rarely achieved in any actual vehicle. For example, Ford might list max payload for the F-250 at 3,500 pounds (just making up numbers), and max towing at 20,000 pounds. But the max payload is for the 2-door version with absolutely zero amenities; get the four door version, and you've lost a couple hundred pounds of payload. Almost no one ever actually buys a vehicle that has anywhere close to max payload and towing numbers. Here in the US, when it comes to payload - the only thing that matters is the door sticker. Nothing else that is published has any bearing on payload.

My guess: the door sticker is for the demo vehicle, and the production vehicle will be very different. But it would be good to hear this from Ineos.

Last edited:

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:09 AM
Reaction score
This can't possibly be correct. Every reference I can find says the Diesel Trialmaster has 689kg of payload - and the base petrol 871kg. The US spec vehicles should all have more than 689kg or 1518lbs at a minimum. Without a winch, I'd guess the US Trialmaster should easily have in 730 kg (~1600 lbs) of payload, if not more.

Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This can't possibly be correct. Every reference I can find says the Diesel Trialmaster has 689kg of payload - and the base petrol 871kg. The US spec vehicles should all have more than 689kg or 1518lbs at a minimum. Without a winch, I'd guess the US Trialmaster should easily have in excess of 730 kg (~1600 lbs) of payload, if not more.
Plus, “Dynamic Roof Load: 330 lbs”

They need to fix this sticker, or remove it, and resolve the hitch issue. Otherwise I can’t even use the vehicle.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Plus, “Dynamic Roof Load: 330 lbs”

They need to fix this sticker, or remove it, and resolve the hitch issue. Otherwise I can’t even use the vehicle.

I'd wait until we see an actual MY24 vehicle - which should be hours, if not a day away.

The hitch issue will be resolved - they just have to figure out the 7 pin problem. From what I hear the wiring was causing the brake lights to not work when connected. The good news is that modern systems can usually "rewire" without having to change the actual wiring harness - it's just a software update.

I'm just glad they didn't stick us with the 13 pin or whatever ROW got - that would be useless.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
2:09 AM
Reaction score

Further to this, Greg has asked his engineers which are completing the tow hitch work right now to grab a photo for us of the production vehicle load rating sticker, he personally hasn't seen one so couldn't give me an official answer.

When I know more I'll pass it on.

Maverick10gk

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
4:09 AM
Reaction score
Just catching up on all of this. I reached out to Ineos as well and sent them the picture of the demo.

Payload is paramount for not only towing but also overlanding. For example if you are towing a 5000lb trailer and your total payload is 700lbs you will only be allotted 200lbs of personnel and gear weight. In an overlanding scenario if you are taking say 4 people at an average of 500 lbs total you could not load the vehicle with more than 200 additional pounds of weight. People need to start caring more about this if they intend to shuttle more than just people around. I find it comical that some half ton trucks tout 13,000lbs of towing capability and only have 1300 pounds of payload because they are loaded with luxury and most people don’t check their payload.

All things considered, I am hopeful this demo sticker is not indicative of the final payload.

The payload was a major selling point over all other vehicles in its class.

Will also post back when I hear back from Ineos.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This came through Facebook from a new owner, but doesn't quite describe payload:
1000011062.jpg

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
First - thanks for looking into it during the holiday week.

I thought about the possibility of a missing "1" in front of the "604", and hoped it was the case.

But - as I wrote in the original post - the payload is listed in both kg and pounds, and the two numbers are a match:

Payload = 274 kg or 604 pounds (see photo). 274 x 2.2 = 604 (if it were 1604 pounds it would be 729 kg).

View attachment 7833458
Perhaps someone already mentioned this ... given that this is on a "Tire" decal/sticker and there are 4 tires (tyres), perhaps the weight listed is multiplied by 4 to achieve a total vehicular of ~2416lbs?? What do you think Smart People?🧐🧐

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Perhaps someone already mentioned this ... given that this is on a "Tire" decal/sticker and there are 4 tires (tyres), perhaps the weight listed is multiplied by 4 to achieve a total vehicular of ~2416lbs?? What do you think Smart People?🧐🧐
Unfortunately, I don't believe so. If that were the case, my F150 would have a capacity of 8,800lbs.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't believe so. If that were the case, my F150 would have a capacity of 8,800lbs.
3,325 pounds

The 2021 F-150 features six potent engine options to satisfy your preferences around power, performance, and fuel efficiency. Experience best-in-class strength* with up to 14,000 pounds of maximum towing ability and 3,325 pounds of maximum payload capacity.
- what does the door sticker stay out of curiosity?

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
3,325 pounds

The 2021 F-150 features six potent engine options to satisfy your preferences around power, performance, and fuel efficiency. Experience best-in-class strength* with up to 14,000 pounds of maximum towing ability and 3,325 pounds of maximum payload capacity.
- what does the door sticker stay out of curiosity?
It's right at 2,200lbs, it's the last year (2018) you could get the Heavy Duty Payload Package super crew Lariat trim. Base long box regular cabs may get close to 3,300lbs.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Nope. That’s all I was sent, I’m assuming it’s a difference between base spec and one fully loaded. But that’s only my assumption.

But I know they’re real payload stickers from the NA spec vehicles.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Nope. That’s all I was sent, I’m assuming it’s a difference between base spec and one fully loaded. But that’s only my assumption.

Thanks for the info as always! Those numbers look much better.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

@Stu_Barnes The top is the trialmaster and bottom of fieldmaster. Look at the tire size and we know dealers have a trialmaster and fieldmaster. Also. The demo trialmaster has a winch on them

Back
Top Bottom