The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Underbody Corrosion Protection

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score
If I decided to add some extra corrosion protection it would likely be the lanolin. Might need doing more regularly but I like its biodegradable nature. That said, no added protection used on my 20 year old Defender and still has labels on the chassis. Just the usual corrosion where alloy meets steel. Not expecting similar problems on the new vehicle.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The problem is after the stones wear all the coatings off you do get a lot of rust when used in hard environments. It's surface rust but it's annoying. My car is in good shape. Cleaning all the sand out after the beach and lanotec before.

Was looking forward to being able to let my guard down a little with a galvanised chassis. Oh well.

View attachment 7807254
A lovely picture of of what is now, a classic car.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder which under components will start to rust first? Nothing 2 coats of MIO cannot fix.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So IA has a 12 year warranty on the chassis and panels? If you use any other product over theirs - is the warranty zero? I wonder how much they would push back on the use on contaminating their product?

Local time
Reaction score
Probably not the most environmentally solution but here is something they use to do in Canada for people who used to work in the logging industry.

To protect their pick-up truck from rust, they would spray the underside with Diesel. Once sprayed, they would then drive the pick up truck on a dusty dirt road. The underside of the vehicle would get covered in a fine dust. Pick-up truck would eventually fall apart from overuse, but they never rusted. Think Lanolin oil is just an attempt to do the same thing.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Used engine oil was another remedy.

If you ever had a Series Landrover then wherever the oil leaked underneath and flowed across the chassis was always totally rust free.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So IA has a 12 year warranty on the chassis and panels? If you use any other product over theirs - is the warranty zero? I wonder how much they would push back on the use on contaminating their product?
Do remember the warranty is inside to outside, covers holes not rust per se, and applies to sheet metal panels and chassis frame, so excludes all the things like small brackets that tend to go first.

Last edited:

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I know a few people who would spray the underside with waste oil, i know its wrong on several levels but it does work!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do remember the warranty is inside to outside, covers holes not rust per se, and applies to sheet metal panels and chassis frame, so excludes all the things like small brackets that tend to go first.
It's the brackets and clips that always go first. Find them, coat them in MIO and drive for life.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
10:15 PM
Reaction score
The Lanoguard is reasonably cheap. About 2 litres would do the underside of an IG and leave some for a top up. It’s not particularly messy to apply and is manageable with just a handspray.

The main benefit is you don’t have to mask anything out, it is safe to use on all the components. It should last about 2 months but is so easy to apply you could do the whole underside in 30 mins.

When I do the Amarok again I will use some on the IG, IF I actually have it

Local time
Reaction score
The Lanoguard is reasonably cheap. About 2 litres would do the underside of an IG and leave some for a top up. It’s not particularly messy to apply and is manageable with just a handspray.

The main benefit is you don’t have to mask anything out, it is safe to use on all the components. It should last about 2 months but is so easy to apply you could do the whole underside in 30 mins.

When I do the Amarok again I will use some on the IG, IF I actually have it
The only downside I have to it is sand sticks to it. I don't think it matters but it's not that attractive.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don't think I recall reading about the interiors of the doors being treated - but the back doors at least are. I noticed this today:
WP_20230517_047.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
So I don't wish to start a controversy. 😳

I fitted a electronic rust prevention to my defender when it was new. I did some investigation and came up with "it's worth a shot".

Anyway over the years we've spent a lot of time on the beach and our defender is in far better shape than average with only some surface rust on the chassis from being peppered with stones. I don't think they guarantee you'll not see any rust, but I do think they noticeably slow it.

I actually think if/when I get a grenadier I'll fit another one.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Which system did you go for? If you have the time, it might be a useful thread on it's own, if you have photos etc.

Back
Top Bottom