The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Underbody Corrosion Protection

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:56 PM
Reaction score
I used to get my Defenders Waxoyled as the chassis were painted with blackboard paint but I'm assuming Ineos will do a better job. I'm still inclined to apply some extra protection to the underside of the vehicle as the UK salt roads in winter are pretty harsh on any vehicle.

This stuff popped up on my FB feed this week and it seems too good to be true: Cheaper, easy to DIY and much less mucky to apply, anyone had some experience of it or some similar lanolin based product?:

Lanoguard link

BMW.Leo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:56 PM
Reaction score
i think same way in the past i used mostly Amber Tectyl, it´s like wax you can spray it easily and even after years still smooth flexible.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I used to get my Defenders Waxoyled as the chassis were painted with blackboard paint but I'm assuming Ineos will do a better job. I'm still inclined to apply some extra protection to the underside of the vehicle as the UK salt roads in winter are pretty harsh on any vehicle.

This stuff popped up on my FB feed this week and it seems too good to be true: Cheaper, easy to DIY and much less mucky to apply, anyone had some experience of it or some similar lanolin based product?:

Lanoguard link
Sounds like some sort of "stick on" WD40 type of material, I wonder if it is silicone based.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
there was mention in a thread somewhere that considering the work Ineos had already applied to the chassis that it may be best to make sure whatever you planned to apply to help combat corrosion was not in itself corrupting the factory application already made.

I'll try an track the info down.

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
t's a modern car, made in a state of the art factory, therefore I don't expect major corrosion problems.
I agree wholly. Since the days of crap steel, things have improved greatly - then there's this from the IG website
Extremely durable body on frame. Designed to withstand daily punishment in all conditions, mile after mile. Three processes (E-coat, powder coating and hot wax) combine to provide powerful corrosion protection to the ladder-frame both inside and out. The reinforced body is constructed from galvanised steel for longevity, while the closures are made from lightweight aluminium. We’re so confident it will stand the test of time, we offer a class-leading 5-year warranty, plus 12-year anti-perforation warranty on the frame.

There is, though, one point that annoys me every time I have a car on the ramp. Bolt ends, nuts and small fixings that are not protected. The "minor" corosion problems that are not addressed by manufacturers. They will be the bits that get the attention of my protection gunk. At least then I have a hope that the nut will not round off, it will spin off the bolt without the inevitable fight and that the brake & fuel pipes will not droop enough to get wiped off on the scenery.

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Err as far as I can tell it's lanolin, fully biodegradable 100% sheep extract :p
Er....... if it's fully biodegradable, how can it be a corrosion inhibitor especially under a vehicle? 😧
I'm sort of guessing that there's a solvent carrier for the lanolin that evaporates to leave the hardened stuff behind. Wonder what biodegradable solvent they've used.

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Er....... if it's fully biodegradable, how can it be a corrosion inhibitor especially under a vehicle? 😧
I'm sort of guessing that there's a solvent carrier for the lanolin that evaporates to leave the hardened stuff behind. Wonder what biodegradable solvent they've used.
They say it's non-toxic non hazardous - I guess it's just a wax that displaces water and water-borne crap for the best part.

You'd probably have to apply it more often (compared to waxoyl), just like the water based paints you get from the DIY shop these days don't weather as well as the good ol' fashioned spirit based paints

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I agree wholly. Since the days of crap steel, things have improved greatly - then there's this from the IG website
Extremely durable body on frame. Designed to withstand daily punishment in all conditions, mile after mile. Three processes (E-coat, powder coating and hot wax) combine to provide powerful corrosion protection to the ladder-frame both inside and out. The reinforced body is constructed from galvanised steel for longevity, while the closures are made from lightweight aluminium. We’re so confident it will stand the test of time, we offer a class-leading 5-year warranty, plus 12-year anti-perforation warranty on the frame.

There is, though, one point that annoys me every time I have a car on the ramp. Bolt ends, nuts and small fixings that are not protected. The "minor" corosion problems that are not addressed by manufacturers. They will be the bits that get the attention of my protection gunk. At least then I have a hope that the nut will not round off, it will spin off the bolt without the inevitable fight and that the brake & fuel pipes will not droop enough to get wiped off on the scenery.

The Jeep Wrangler JL I bought when they first came out in the UK back in 2018 had rust on the chassis and drive train straight out of the show room, probably a result of being shipped across the pond and being exposed to salt air. It may be that US modern cars aren't as modern as European modern cars but I'm not going to take the sales blurb as verbatim, it's always good to have a plan in advance ;)

As Neil Young once said, Rust Never Sleeps 🤟

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:56 AM
Reaction score
There is a video on YouTube of our good friend ASPW with our Qld friend Roothy, using the lanotec products on his landcruiser. Big sales pitch but it works.

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Err as far as I can tell it's lanolin, fully biodegradable 100% sheep extract :p
When we shear our sheep I get lanolin all over my clothes, but one wash in the machine clears it completely. Must have some means of " fixing" it. But I'm going to solely rely on Ineos

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:56 PM
Reaction score
It could be alcohol for example 😉
If it is the same as fluid film Than it’s really great stuff!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:56 AM
Reaction score
The whole thing is galvanised isn't it?
Body yes , chassis "KTL dipped and powder-coated" + wax flooded/dipped or something like that from memory.
It will be good unless you scrape the coating off on rocks.
The lanolin spray is good stuff. Lots of other components underneath , not just chassis.

Local time
Reaction score
Body yes , chassis "KTL dipped and powder-coated" + wax flooded/dipped or something like that from memory.
It will be good unless you scrape the coating off on rocks.
The lanolin spray is good stuff. Lots of other components underneath , not just chassis.
I'm a bit surprised and a little disappointed.

Still... as long as the inside is done.

My car has been whacked with so much stuff. The outside is rusty but this is rarely a problem as it's easy to see and get to.

What about the doors and body frames?

Back
Top Bottom