The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

UK & Ireland UK Grenadier Sales Figures.

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:34 PM
Reaction score
Not a well-executed launch but overall could have been worse.

That historical connection with an older vehicle is tough to replicate with a new brand that basically copied and improved the design of the old one. Not a criticism here, just an observation.

I don't live on a farm and I'm not doing extreme offroading. Purpose Built is a great tagline and allows Ineos to defend some of the design choices (Soft steering, Turning radius, Return to center, etc) but it needs to be more tolerable as a daily driver.

People who expected the Grenadier to only or also be a daily driver seem to get criticized a lot but I think Ineos will find that 'intended use' isn't going to sell enough vehicles.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:34 AM
Reaction score
I've been at a conference. This slide was posted up by a surgeon, who pointed out everyone wants to be an innovator, but nobody wants to court failure.
IMO Ineos have struck the right balance in their new vehicle launch.
And better to be called an early adopter than a laggard!

org.jpg

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:34 PM
Reaction score

That historical connection with an older vehicle is tough to replicate with a new brand that basically copied and improved the design of the old one. Not a criticism here, just an observation.

I don't live on a farm and I'm not doing extreme offroading. Purpose Built is a great tagline and allows Ineos to defend some of the design choices (Soft steering, Turning radius, Return to center, etc) but it needs to be more tolerable as a daily driver.

People who expected the Grenadier to only or also be a daily driver seem to get criticized a lot but I think Ineos will find that 'intended use' isn't going to sell enough vehicles.
But still, Land Rover were selling around 75,000 Old Defenders each year in the UK.
Whilst I had a couple (including a V8) these were awful vehicles on the road.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I use mine as a daily driver with no issues. If however, a city driver was to ask my opinion I would suggest there are more suitable SUVs for town driving if that was in fact what they had purchased a 4x4 for.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
Lets face it the UK is not exactly a 4 wheelers paradise. Numbers to watch are the US, OZ, and other remote 4x4 centric places in the world. Most people just do not need this level of 4x4. Last weekend I was punching through 4 feet of snow towing a caravan behind my Power Wagon. I might be one of those out liars :LOL: I mean our Power Wagon and 4 Runner are the only rigs I have not dismembered. The 4 Runner I chickened out on using too hard,( its being sold for the Grenadier purchase) and the Power Wagon has plenty of dents but survived. The Nissan Titan did well, but looked like the Toyota Truck from Top gear when I got rid of it. But I have destroyed MANY Monteros and an Xterra for sure.

AWo

Local time
8:34 PM
Reaction score
I've been at a conference. This slide was posted up by a surgeon, who pointed out everyone wants to be an innovator, but nobody wants to court failure.
IMO Ineos have struck the right balance in their new vehicle launch.
And better to be called an early adopter than a laggard!

View attachment 7856352
This slide is from the/looks like a slide book "Crossing the Gap" from the ninetys, slightly modified as the gap is missing. It also describes that from the "Early Adopter Phase up to the "Late Majority" the company should not take care about customer problems but it should sell, sell, sell to gain market leadership. From the "Late Majority" phase take care about customer problems.

However, that book was IT-related and it was about new innovations enteringg the market in the IT-market. The Grenadier is a car and it is not a new invention, so it would be interesting if these curves also apply to a product type which is available for decades, as Ineos just added a new variant to the market but not a new innovation. That is something different. Tesla could be considered as a new innovation, with their single ECU/software approach, but not Ineos with the Grenadier.

AWo

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
@AWo Ineos have not re-invented any wheels , they have replaced one.
As per the original intention to provide an old Defender type 4x4 and with sufficient quality and comfort to fulfill JR's "cut price G wagen" comment.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:34 PM
Reaction score
Lets face it the UK is not exactly a 4 wheelers paradise. Numbers to watch are the US, OZ, and other remote 4x4 centric places in the world. Most people just do not need this level of 4x4. Last weekend I was punching through 4 feet of snow towing a caravan behind my Power Wagon. I might be one of those out liars :LOL: I mean our Power Wagon and 4 Runner are the only rigs I have not dismembered. The 4 Runner I chickened out on using too hard,( its being sold for the Grenadier purchase) and the Power Wagon has plenty of dents but survived. The Nissan Titan did well, but looked like the Toyota Truck from Top gear when I got rid of it. But I have destroyed MANY Monteros and an Xterra for sure.
The "G" is not just for people who desire extreme off road 4x4.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think the UK is more about the towing and utility aspects of the vehicle.
More that they need a solid workhorse than a recreational vehicle.

AWo

Local time
8:34 PM
Reaction score
When I drive through the UK (next time in July) I rarely see a Defender on motorways. Most of the time these are Discovery, Range Rover and Freelander. But I found many defenders on farms and on rural roads. In addition, when we arrive with our Defender used as camper, many people are curious and somethimes a little bit amused, that we travel with such kind of vehicle, sleep inside etc.. On campgrounds you see the Discoverys towing a caravan, but no camper Defenders with a British number plate.

That tell me that see defender is mostly seen as a work horse and a recreational vehicle (offroad driving). I.m.h.o. the Grenadier has the potential to play both roles. Maybe that is something which pick-ups are used for,as well, in the UK...don't know.

That is only my personel observation.

AWo

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You might be surprised. Agreed the UK is not a 4 wheeler paradise, but in my 13 house street there are 3 new Defenders, 2 old ones, 3 double cab pickups and the rest are the usual BMW/Mini/Audi sh1tboxes.

Back
Top Bottom