The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

UK & Ireland UK Grenadier Sales Figures.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:31 PM
Reaction score
The dealers in Aus are not helping - with servicing costs at more than double most standard other vehicles. Be interesting to see how this pans out by end of year as costs in Aus on 'everything' are skyrocketing.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:31 AM
Reaction score
@AWo thank you for sharing. What would be interesting is comparing the L663 launch to the Grenadier launch. I only say that because we are in year 4 of the l663 and has established itself on the road. We are only in year 1 for many parts of the world. I'm not saying the numbers will be close but still a interesting comparison.

AWo

Local time
7:31 PM
Reaction score
@AWo thank you for sharing. What would be interesting is comparing the L663 launch to the Grenadier launch. I only say that because we are in year 4 of the l663 and has established itself on the road. We are only in year 1 for many parts of the world. I'm not saying the numbers will be close but still a interesting comparison.
Yes, but I can only see the L663 numbers for Germany. For the UK I only see Land Rover in total numbers and only for the last month, no history. I could pay 250 BPD for more data...but why should I do that?
Same for Ineos, but that is an easy one, yet, as they have only the Grenadier, regardless of pick up, commercial or station wagon. However, I'll check that L663 thing for Germany.

Usually I put my statistics here in that thread: https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/land-rover-feeling-the-heat.12412720/post-1333271278

AWo

Last edited:

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
At your service:

Sales of the New Defender started in September 2019 (seem that deliveries started in May in Germany)

2019 registration numbers L663 in Germany
September: 0
October: 0
November: 0
December: 0

2020 registration numbers L663 in Germany
January: 0
February: 0
March: 0
April: 0
May: 90
June: 213
July: 196
August: 148
September: 147
October: 260
November: 188
December: 339

2021 registration numbers L663 in Germany
January: 190
February: 174
March: 364
April: 450
May: 222
June: 160
July: 265
August: 220
September: 180
October: 251
November: 161
December: 174

2022 registration numbers L663 in Germany
January: 152
February: 124
March: 277
April: ?
May: 306
June: 364
July: 463
August: 319
September: 237
October: 237
November: 190
December: 209

2023 was the most successful year for the ND, yet.

2024-05-07_16h23_39.jpg

Last edited:

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
@AWo so it looks like it was slow going but picked up steam posted COVID. I wonder what the numbers will look like for Ineos once it gets out more and some the negative is washed away.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This does kind of highlight why the new Defender is so bad. LR didn't build the Grenadier for this reason. We love it because its (almost) exactly what we wanted. But the average punter wants something completely different.
Most of the UK reviews were underwhelming to say the least, comparing it to cars that are frankly in a different class of vehicle entirely. Whining about the steering and engine noise for example. I found it funny when I watched Ronny Dahls content on the grenadier and he thought the steering was precise! So did I, and I was really pleased with how quiet it was. But I was coming from a 110... The UK road network is frankly excellent compared with much of the rest of the world, there is virtually no off road driving that anyone can legally do. Who actually needs one? it's a very small market.

The grenadier has cult vehicle written all over it, I just hope that ROW sales can make up for our own poor showing here. It would be tragic if the project failed.

There is one small ray of hope, solid front axle vehicles are few and far between. The competition in that market is getting smaller and smaller. Hopefully there's a future there.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
@AWo so it looks like it was slow going but picked up steam posted COVID. I wonder what the numbers will look like for Ineos once it gets out more and some the negative is washed away.
Yes, that's the question. My assumption is, however, that it will become very difficult for Ineos as they only can offer one very special niche modell for a limited audience while developing and advertising etc. such a modell is not cheaper than an ordinary car.
I assume ND sales will decrease sooner or later as customers expect facelifts etc.

AWo

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I've seen a few 24 plate Grenadiers near me recently, in fact more than 23/73 plates.

It was always going to be a niche vehicle over here, the average UK driver thinks a Nissan qashqi is a big offroader!

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
And many people even don't want a 4x4 at all.

AWo

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Australia is no different. Just about every LC300/76/New Defender that I see in my locale is a daily commuter for kids and work. At least my Grenadier by comparison it's muddied up and looks the part :ROFLMAO: and I'm probably the only non-shiny vehicle in the estate!!!

There is an awful lot of new Ford Ranger/Everest in the area though.

The bottom line - there are 20 other 4X4 / partial off road vehicles on the market right now that are far more comfortable and cost half as much to service - people will be hesitant dropping $120K, especially in this market.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:31 AM
Reaction score
Like most other LR had massive parts availability problems during COVID
I vaguely recall they had large numbers of built but incomplete vehicles sitting around.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:31 AM
Reaction score
Australia is no different. Just about every LC300/76/New Defender that I see in my locale is a daily commuter for kids and work. At least my Grenadier by comparison it's muddied up and looks the part :ROFLMAO: and I'm probably the only non-shiny vehicle in the estate!!!

There is an awful lot of new Ford Ranger/Everest in the area though.

The bottom line - there are 20 other 4X4 / partial off road vehicles on the market right now that are far more comfortable and cost half as much to service - people will be hesitant dropping $120K, especially in this market.
I think the kind of customer you are talking about will be going higher spec than $120K would buy you in a Grenadier.
I think many of them might go for the Great Wall Motors Tank 500 or Tank 700 if it comes to Australia.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKZaLUX5alM

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Like most other LR had massive parts availability problems during COVID
I vaguely recall they had large numbers of built but incomplete vehicles sitting around.
Actually here in the states JLR shipped ND despite missing the parts people order and paid for. For example many people bought the addeded charging kit which gave usb in dash, in the rear of seats and rear of the armrest. Ppl would get their order after considerable delay with missing usb. JLR is like well that's not our issue, pay up sucker or wait till we have them in stock.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Actually here in the states JLR shipped ND despite missing the parts people order and paid for. For example many people bought the addeded charging kit which gave usb in dash, in the rear of seats and rear of the armrest. Ppl would get their order after considerable delay with missing usb. JLR is like well that's not our issue, pay up sucker or wait till we have them in stock.
Same in UK. A thriving business in retro fit or activation of items that were missing due to silicone shortage at the time.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:31 PM
Reaction score
Today I was passed by two people in their new defenders. Each one was a my 2024 as they were the new 130. Let's say each driver was not likely going off road anytime soon.
That vehicle is like a land barge! Its "butt" hangs over the rear wheel so much!

Back
Top Bottom