The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Transfer case whine under light load

Ray

Local time
9:19 PM
Reaction score
Hi legends. Is anyone experiencing a noticible and annoying transfer case whine? Reminds me of my school bus. I understand it's not chain driven but have a feeling mine is a little louder than normal. Like it's intrusive.all temps ok and drives well. Love the car. Cheers 🥂1000005178.jpg

skoller

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:19 AM
Reaction score
Hi legends. Is anyone experiencing a noticible and annoying transfer case whine? Reminds me of my school bus. I understand it's not chain driven but have a feeling mine is a little louder than normal. Like it's intrusive.all temps ok and drives well. Love the car. Cheers 🥂View attachment 7842049
Mine also has a whine under load. Took it to the dealers and it was test driven and put up on the hoist, noise was there but I have not had any updates or replies what it could be.

RobP

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I drove one yesterday that had a faint but noticeable whine from the driveline. Can anyone say they don't hear a faint whine from the driveline under load?

Greasemonkey

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:19 PM
Reaction score
Right from the start, there was a clearly noticeable noise coming from the drive train area under load (steep hills). It sounds like a bad bearing. The noise only occurs very rarely on the plain. Even after changing the transfer case, the noise is still there. I've already complained about it to the dealer, but they can't find anything. However, there is no steep mountain in its area where the noise would definitely occur. Next time I visit him, I will record a video of the noise.

Reactions: Ray

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:19 PM
Reaction score
I think it is pretty normal for the Grenadier.
Mine is silent under load, but whining when coasting along. Only when transfer case oil is hot.

Solution: Keep it under load ;-)

skoller

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have taken mine to the dealers twice for the whine. It was compared to a new Grenadier and there was no noticable difference between the both of them so apparently there is nothing wrong with mine. Maybe the other Grenadier has a problem also. It reminds me of a new 2009 Defender I purchased .Same sort of noise so the diff centre was replaced This happened 8 times , Yes 8 times before it was corrected. From memory I think there was a problem with diff centre gears case hardening. I dont want to put up with the whine,its very annoying. I'm not sure where to take it from here.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
One man's whine is another man's reminder that this is an old school driveline with spinny bits. Not to dismiss anyone who is bothered by the sound, but I'm in the latter group. At least it's real, unlike my Tinnitus which sounds similar 😞

Ray

Local time
Reaction score
One man's whine is another man's reminder that this is an old school driveline with spinny bits. Not to dismiss anyone who is bothered by the sound, but I'm in the latter group. At least it's real, unlike my Tinnitus which sounds similar 😞
You may well be correct. I only have the 70cruiser to compare too. But it was manual. Funny enough, I remember my school bus had a 1hdt Toyota work auto that had the same whine. The whine isnt that bad but can get louder on the highway at 100-120

Back
Top Bottom