The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

tps emulator

Local time
9:20 AM
Reaction score
Tire pressure sensors are not anything I've ever had to deal with on my adventure trucks, and on my everyday cars, they have been serviced by the garage and never touch them.

That having been said, a question for you tire geeks. Is there an emulator out there that would be compatible with the gren? I know they exist, but I've never needed one. The ineos system seems to be propritary with unfriendly software, trouble prone, inaccurate, and, at least in my case, a useless distraction. I check my tires frequently and prefer to use a high quality handheld when offroad so I know all the tires are the are where I want. I find a four wheel baseline relative to the tires to be more important than absolute accuracy, so I'd prefer one cheap stick gauge to five TPM's. Feel free to disagree if you think thats a little old school. I also know how to use a slide rule and I change my own oil, so that's what you're dealing with here.

Anyway, since Ineos isn't going to fix issues, this seems like a useless one that can be made to go away completely.

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
That’s a novel idea. Hopefully someone has found one that works. (TPS is a throttle position sensor - TPMS is tire pressure monitoring system)

Local time
Reaction score
That’s a novel idea. Hopefully someone has found one that works. (TPS is a throttle position sensor - TPMS is tire pressure monitoring system)
I would think it would be possible to emulate an emulator, which was what my idea was originally, until I looked up on the webs for spoof a solution, assuming there's no way that's an original idea. And brand specific emulators do pop up. My original idea was to drill out a 2x4 section of steel square tube, weld up one end, make a nice lip and seal at the other, drill 5 holes in it and put your shitty TPS reports in there, pressurize it, and mount it. There ya go, you're at 40psi forever and the system is happy. Hell, you even get a wheelbarrow tire, add a few more holes, and put it under the rear seat. As long as each unit is sending a 40psi signal, who gives a shit what you do.

I just think sans a CTIS, this system solves a problem I've never had.

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
I wish a manufacturer, any manufacturer, would build at least one vehicle with the express intent of absolutely minimizing all electronics and computer chips and sell it as a base model. Did the last 4 years of supply chain disruption, especially with computer chips, not teach anyone anything? I fully understand that it is impossible for a vehicle to run without any chips and still meet safety and emission requirements, but please, they don’t have to be used in everything, everywhere, all-at-once.

TPMS is a nice feature, but how many years did we live without it and still manage to survive…

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:20 PM
Reaction score
I wish a manufacturer, any manufacturer, would build at least one vehicle with the express intent of absolutely minimizing all electronics and computer chips and sell it as a base model. Did the last 4 years of supply chain disruption, especially with computer chips, not teach anyone anything? I fully understand that it is impossible for a vehicle to run without any chips and still meet safety and emission requirements, but please, they don’t have to be used in everything, everywhere, all-at-once.

TPMS is a nice feature, but how many years did we live without it and still manage to survive…
I do like the feature... have towed dual axle trailers for many years with them and certainly saved me a tyre or two. If only they could have it work in a simple manner like all other 'off the shelf' tpms - dumb it down if you like. i.e. consumer sets low pressure and alarm parameters, consumer sets high pressure and alarm parameters - too easy. Now I have external tpms sensors on the Ineos tyre valves that work as they should and the Ineos ones that do not - if I could only turn the Ineos ones off. Sometimes I wonder what real life experience the people who design the software have, guess they've never lived in hot climates where tyre pressures have the propensity to increase considerably during the day.. 😶 but.. oh, what a cracker of a vehicle... 😀

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Then again we're working on nearly 17 years since it has been mandated on all vehicles in the US...

I know years ago (like 15 years ago) it was a thing in the Lexus world to take the sensors out of the factory wheels and put them in a PVC tube with a Schrader valve on one end, inflate to a suitable pressure, and toss it in the trunk.

On the Grenadier I just used Autel MX sensors in the new wheels and cloned the factory sensor IDs/locations. This way when (if is more realistic) I rotate the tires, in a matter of 30-40 seconds I can reprogram the sensors so the vehicle knows which wheel is in which position.

Local time
Reaction score
Then again we're working on nearly 17 years since it has been mandated on all vehicles in the US...

I know years ago (like 15 years ago) it was a thing in the Lexus world to take the sensors out of the factory wheels and put them in a PVC tube with a Schrader valve on one end, inflate to a suitable pressure, and toss it in the trunk.

On the Grenadier I just used Autel MX sensors in the new wheels and cloned the factory sensor IDs/locations. This way when (if is more realistic) I rotate the tires, in a matter of 30-40 seconds I can reprogram the sensors so the vehicle knows which wheel is in which position.
Even better.

I knew I never had an original idea.

Other than watching the psi difference between cold days and hot days, saying, "wow, air pressure goes down when it gets colder, who knew", I've never had a use. I'm certain some people do, like teamsters, and that's great, but the blanket mandate for passenger cars, has "industry lobby" written all over it.

I'd do the pvc tube trick if I was taking this on long adventure journeys, for sure.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

What actually happens when you rotate the Grenadier’s tires? Does it require a dealer trip to reset the TPMS sensor locations?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What actually happens when you rotate the Grenadier’s tires? Does it require a dealer trip to reset the TPMS sensor locations?
Correct, until (or if) some aftermarket tool becomes available.

The vehicle hardcodes a location for each sensor coding (instead of some vehicles where they know the 4 or 5 sensors they are looking for and figure out what spot they are in)

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Correct, until (or if) some aftermarket tool becomes available.

The vehicle hardcodes a location for each sensor coding (instead of some vehicles where they know the 4 or 5 sensors they are looking for and figure out what spot they are in)
I’ll decide what to do after 6mos-1year, and see if any TPMS flexibility is offered. Otherwise I’ll need your Autel details. I’d like to do 5-tire rotations but can put that off until I get bigger tires.

ZemTyrion

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:20 AM
Reaction score
I don't mean to be overly pedantic, but this is the very definition of survivorship bias. "Raise your hand if you died in the from riding in the back of a pickup in the 1980s... no one? Must not be dangerous."

But don't get me wrong, I find this thing to be an absolute pain. If I put the tire pressures where they should be, it gives me the low pressure all the time. I could deal with the one warning light, but having to wait for my fuel level to appear on the screen is irksome. The shop that put my larger tires on did not keep track of which sensors went where, assuming incorrectly that they would eventually sort it out. I think the easiest thing would be to put them back where they belong, but it still won't turn the warning lights off. I am giving serious consideration to this PVC idea.

Local time
Reaction score
I don't mean to be overly pedantic, but this is the very definition of survivorship bias. "Raise your hand if you died in the from riding in the back of a pickup in the 1980s... no one? Must not be dangerous."

But don't get me wrong, I find this thing to be an absolute pain. If I put the tire pressures where they should be, it gives me the low pressure all the time. I could deal with the one warning light, but having to wait for my fuel level to appear on the screen is irksome. The shop that put my larger tires on did not keep track of which sensors went where, assuming incorrectly that they would eventually sort it out. I think the easiest thing would be to put them back where they belong, but it still won't turn the warning lights off. I am giving serious consideration to this PVC idea.
Fear not, you achieved pedantic, and upped the game with a touch of hyperbole.

Is it easier to check your passenger cars pressure by cycling thru a screen? Sure. Can the typical driver glance at a tire and visually see if it's getting low? I dunnknow. I sure can. Can I use a TP gauge and check? Yep. Do I also rotate my own tires and would I be pissed off if that simple act meant a dealer visit every 3000 miles? Phauque yea. Is a TP monitor system not functioning in a new car equivalent to bombing down a country two lane'er for ice cream with a little league team in the back of pickup hanging on for dear life while laughing hysterically... ahhhhh.. I dunnknow about that one. You may wanna rethink your debate style. Comical overexageration does tend to lose the audience and undemine whatever point you had.

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:20 AM
Reaction score
A dealer visit is required after rotating tires??🤦🏻‍♂️

For fųck’s sake, INEOS. Another example of forgetting who you pre-sold vehicles to.

i.e. you singled out the hands-on crowd who maintain and mod their own, far from the sparse dealer network

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the easiest thing would be to put them back where they belong, but it still won't turn the warning lights off. I am giving serious consideration to this PVC idea.
Easiest way is to let a few psi out of each tire at a time, that will tell you which position it is "believed" to be in. Move the tire to that spot and the problem is solved.

Once you reset the RCP it shouldn't trigger a low light anymore, assuming you stay within ~4psi

Back
Top Bottom