The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Toyota's strategy ...

Local time
9:01 AM
Reaction score
1, All modern cars leave you at least 20k poorer due to depreciation (let's not mention loan costs)
2. Modern ICE vehicles crap themselves - irreparable transmissions , engine issues that can easily cost north of 15-20k - and leave you with no choice!

For some reason people love to tell me about their mechanical woes and terrible service at dealerships.
1 reason I personally haven't bought new since 1998 and do my own mechanical work.
Now I'm ahead with money in the bank I can take the risk with new cars!
The standard disco engine swap is 15k for the engine plus fitting although if you know what you are doing you can often find one from a territory. It seems a very common issue. The cars seem to end up at the auctions usually. And they are like barely 10yo.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
1, All modern cars leave you at least 20k poorer due to depreciation (let's not mention loan costs)
2. Modern ICE vehicles crap themselves - irreparable transmissions , engine issues that can easily cost north of 15-20k - and leave you with no choice!

For some reason people love to tell me about their mechanical woes and terrible service at dealerships.
1 reason I personally haven't bought new since 1998 and do my own mechanical work.
I have mostly bought 2nd hand cars all my life. Buying a new 50k vehicle for 35k only 1 to 2 years later makes sense! The Grenadier is replacing my malt 18
The standard disco engine swap is 15k for the engine plus fitting although if you know what you are doing you can often find one from a territory. It seems a very common issue. The cars seem to end up at the auctions usually. And they are like barely 10yo.
Only a few drives to replace in a Tesla. 2 at a time buy a new car!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I have mostly bought 2nd hand cars all my life. Buying a new 50k vehicle for 35k only 1 to 2 years later makes sense! The Grenadier is replacing my malt 18
Only a few drives to replace in a Tesla. 2 at a time buy a new car! I have rarely seen fuel engines fail on cars at 10 years or less. I've seen plenty of issues with DPF, Transmission etc. But 7 year warranties cover all of this! Look at 10 year old Tesla, that's done deprecation.

I think EV will be mainstream veggie 2030, more EV than fuel at a guess. That's if there is enough generation to recharge them all for the national power grid which I doubt!!!

AWo

Local time
10:01 AM
Reaction score
Toyota is not stupid. They will sell what sells until they need to change. There is absolutely NO comparison on cost v function when it comes to EVs at present. Imagine a true Grenadier competitor all electric with more than 300kms range... what will that look like and HOW expensive will it be AND how extremely heavy will it be...
Toyota once gave a promise, to provide mobility for everyone. As Toyota sells cars into every corner of the world (ok, except my personal driveway) they need to offer what these very different markets require regarding their infrastructure. As Toyota is powerful enough to develop and provide more than one technology, they will be able to accompany (potentially) everyone everywhere on the long way to whatever mobility and engine concept will be the future or which will be legally required. I assume that there will be many concepts around for quite a long time and there are many small steps in mobility and engines to go.

Thereby I think their strategy is clever to offer all, from the old engines up to the new hydrogen ones. And they can make money with it.

AWo

Reactions: Max

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
Toyota once gave a promise, to provide mobility for everyone. As Toyota sells cars into every corner of the world (ok, except my personal driveway) they need to offer what these very different markets require regarding their infrastructure. As Toyota is powerful enough to develop and provide more than one technology, they will be able to accompany (potentially) everyone everywhere on the long way to whatever mobility and engine concept will be the future or which will be legally required. I assume that there will be many concepts around for quite a long time and there are many small steps in mobility and engines to go.

Thereby I think their strategy is clever to offer all, from the old engines up to the new hydrogen ones. And they can make money with it.

AWo
I agree...watch what the big players are doing and learn...

I was listening to ABC radio with a presenter banging on about electric cars and how the price has to come down...not interested in the pollution or where they are made or how much Raw Earth Elements REE are used...if I could look into the crystal ball we might find the biggest polluters solving the price issue and flooding the market for the goodie two shoe earth rescuers...turning the motor industry into the white goods arena...it would be a joke Joyce :ROFLMAO:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:01 PM
Reaction score
I agree...watch what the big players are doing and learn...

I was listening to ABC radio with a presenter banging on about electric cars and how the price has to come down...not interested in the pollution or where they are made or how much Raw Earth Elements REE are used...if I could look into the crystal ball we might find the biggest polluters solving the price issue and flooding the market for the goodie two shoe earth rescuers...turning the motor industry into the white goods arena...it would be a joke Joyce :ROFLMAO:
The thing I don't understand on electric vehicles is the life of the battery packs and what happens after that.
Most manufacturers are saying the battery packs are good for 10-12 years.
Tesla was quoting $25,000 for a replacement.
If that is still accurate then surely the closer your vehicle gets to that age the absolute less it will be worth.

Reactions: Max

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The thing I don't understand on electric vehicles is the life of the battery packs and what happens after that.
If that is still accurate then surely the closer your vehicle gets to that age the absolute less it will be worth.
So it just goes to scrap. After 12 years you have to spend $25k (ex inflation) to own a car probably worth less than $25k AFTER you spend the $25k. And something has to be done with the disposal of the toxic mess that is an expired vehicle battery. EV’s make less and less sense the more you look into them.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
Hopefully, we don't have to go down that track...if I was forced to now, I would be a hybrid driver...no way in the world would I be throwing money at something that doesn't last and has to be replaced or can't be repaired...makes no sense...buy a pair of RM boots we might just need them more often. ;)

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
White Goods...they are on their way :ROFLMAO:
A bit like the Meile dishwasher I just replaced. Perfect except for a single part, which meant fixing it wasn’t worth it so a new one purchased. How sad the world is becoming.

Ah the trials of Boomers and Next Gen’s who remember a better time.

Back
Top Bottom