The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tow hitch ball mount anti-rattle contraption?

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
Anyone know of an anti-rattle contraption that will fit our Grenadier tow hitch receiver assembly? The wide plate at the front of the receiver assembly blocks conventional devices from fitting and preventing clunking sounds caused by loose-fitting ball mounts, bike racks, skid plates, etc. Thank you!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:30 PM
Reaction score
Hi Grnamin
I think you have probably answered my question. Here in the UK we have a very solid and smooth hitch system with no rattles however, one negative is that unlike the US receiver method, we have little in the way of adaptors. As my vehicle is the UK N1 version, I am legally allowed to use a 2" receiver (Not so on the M1 version). My only concern is, how rattly it might be. From your post I am assuming it would be more 'clunky' than the UK style hitch.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Cheshire cat , the type of ball mount that's inserted into the receiver tube always rattles. I have a TMR Customs skid plate attached to my receiver tube and I haven't found an anti-rattle device that fits the wide "flange" of the tube. Here's a ball mount with a built-in anti-rattle feature:

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I guess there is no reason I couldn't use both. The traditional UK version for towing, which I could remove when not towing and make use of the various attachments built for the receiver hitch. I am thinking bike racks, platforms, steps, etc. As can be seen, the UK style hitch blocks use of the receiver.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpeg
    IMG_0019.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Grnamin
I think you have probably answered my question. Here in the UK we have a very solid and smooth hitch system with no rattles however, one negative is that unlike the US receiver method, we have little in the way of adaptors. As my vehicle is the UK N1 version, I am legally allowed to use a 2" receiver (Not so on the M1 version). My only concern is, how rattly it might be. From your post I am assuming it would be more 'clunky' than the UK style hitch.
I am pretty sure N1 vehicles have required EU type approval from 2012. So I don't think so

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
1716750049718.jpg

1UP USA uses a corner expander ball mechanism that eliminates wobble. I have a couple of their products. Extremely heavy duty.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I guess there is no reason I couldn't use both. The traditional UK version for towing, which I could remove when not towing and make use of the various attachments built for the receiver hitch. I am thinking bike racks, platforms, steps, etc. As can be seen, the UK style hitch blocks use of the receiver.
That gives me an idea. Maybe I can bolt on a fabricated metal lip for an anti-rattle rattle contraption to brace onto.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am pretty sure N1 vehicles have required EU type approval from 2012. So I don't think so
I wouldn't argue with you at this point but I seem to remember reading on this forum, the details in which it appeared N1 vehicles were still exempt. I will see if I can find it.

This is the thread I was thinking of:

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
Is that built into their hitch-mounted racks?
Yep. It works really well, loaded or unloaded. 1UP seem to be a bunch of machine shop nerds and they use this style exclusively. Their stuff is much more stoutly built and heavy rated than anything I've seen from Thule or Kuat or other mainstream brands.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wouldn't argue with you at this point but I seem to remember reading on this forum, the details in which it appeared N1 vehicles were still exempt. I will see if I can find it.

This is the thread I was thinking of:
The regulations EC94/20 and subsequent Regulation 55 are more than complicated, but yes all towbars fitted to N1 manufactured after October 2012 need type approval. That includes any attachments such as drop plates
The EU regs don't allow type approval of receiver hitches as the locking mechanism is not deemed failsafe.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The regulations EC94/20 and subsequent Regulation 55 are more than complicated, but yes all towbars fitted to N1 manufactured after October 2012 need type approval. That includes any attachments such as drop plates
The EU regs don't allow type approval of receiver hitches as the locking mechanism is not deemed failsafe.
So the European type approval reg’s don’t apply? All very confusing.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Jesus! I hope it’s not m12!. I am away from my car for a few days so I can’t confirm.. i think it was 10…

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:30 PM
Reaction score
@Cheshire cat , the type of ball mount that's inserted into the receiver tube always rattles. I have a TMR Customs skid plate attached to my receiver tube and I haven't found an anti-rattle device that fits the wide "flange" of the tube. Here's a ball mount with a built-in anti-rattle feature:
I have one on the back of my vehicle and it doesn't rattle or move at all.
1716790398933.jpg

Back
Top Bottom