The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The Grenadier Wave

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:47 PM
Reaction score
I have no doubt that Grenadier owners will start take to waving to each other on the road similar to the Defender owners. We might as well inherit that tradition.

The question is, should we also wave to Defenders on the road noting their linkage the Grenadier?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:47 AM
Reaction score
Do they do the ”Jeep Wave” elsewhere in the world? In the US there are so many Jeeps your hand gets tired.

Here though, you won’t see many IG or real Defenders regardless.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have no doubt that Grenadier owners will start take to waving to each other on the road similar to the Defender owners. We might as well inherit that tradition.

The question is, should we also wave to Defenders on the road noting their linkage the Grenadier?
I would vote yes to that question the link is too strong to undo...I give it the thumbs up, so to speak(y)...happy motoring
;)

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
5:47 AM
Reaction score
I wave at anyone that takes the time to put spotlights, rack and ladder on their vehicle. So in la with all the pimped out g wagons I wave at anybody and everybody.

I always remember the old welsh hill farmers, if they knew you they’d just raise an index finger, with a slight nod of the head.

All very minimalistic.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Stu - I lived in Iowa for a few years (it’s one of the ones in the middle) and we call that the farmers’ wave. Love it.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wave at anyone that takes the time to put spotlights, rack and ladder on their vehicle. So in la with all the pimped out g wagons I wave at anybody and everybody.

I always remember the old welsh hill farmers, if they knew you they’d just raise an index finger, with a slight nod of the head.

All very minimalistic.
All very minimalistic...Spot on (y)

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
5:47 AM
Reaction score
Don’t the middle ones only count if they’re square? ;)

So. As we’re on this thread. What do we think the Grenadier wave should be…..

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Don’t the middle ones only count if they’re square? ;)

So. As we’re on this thread. What do we think the Grenadier wave should be…..
The Thumbs Up is such a universal signal and visual comment it would be hard for me to change...I thumbs up when I am not even in the Landy to other like-minded from the footpath or sidewalk...happy motoring

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Surprise Wow GIF by Dave

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You know. Grenades and stuff go boom.

painter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Yup, closed hand at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel, single index finger raised while passing. That's the way it's done in the bush.

Though there was one road to a small remote town in Northern Canada where the locals would point up to the rear view mirror with the left hand (LHD here). Took me a while to figure it out but once adopted I felt like one of the group 👍

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:47 PM
Reaction score

All very minimalistic
Somewhat the same in Oz. A long conversation in some rural places is more than 3 words ! No doubt in part because to have your mouth open any longer is to invite the ever present swarming flies!;)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:47 PM
Reaction score
I remember when most motorcyclists were motorcycle riders because they just didn't have the money to choose: We (I was one of them) either had a motorcycle or a car. And so "we" motorcyclists were on the road summer and winter, whether in sunshine, rain or snow.

And if someone was standing on the side of the road with a problem, it was a matter of course to stop and offer and provide help.

In the last 20 years, that has changed a lot. Hundreds of motorcyclists on weekends every hour, so greeting now is ridiculous. Some, no longer up for it, eventually mounted a plastic automatic waving hand on the handlebars.

Today, my greetings are very selective. I've learned to distinguish between life-style bikers and real bikers. The typical Harley rider with a new 1500€ leather jacket with the price tag still hanging off is not what we used to be. Nor are the horsepower junkies in screamingly colorful, skin-tight leather who have their wives pick them up in the rain with the trailer and have to have the latest model every year.

There are only a few left who are attached to motorcycling in the old tradition. We usually recognize each other and greet.

I do believe that in the beginning it will be a pleasure to meet other Grenadier drivers on the roads, so they surely wave to each other.

But I think it's a little silly to "vote" for a greeting or not. Time will tell. The day the first Grenadier driver ignores me when I'm standing on the road somewhere with a flat tire will be the day that whatever greeting becomes rare.

Unless the other guy has a "The Ineosforum" sticker on his car ;-)

I will however always greet (real) Defender drivers, as I do it today when on my motorbike. And they usually greet back.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:47 PM
Reaction score
In Oz it’s only common place to lift a hand or finger off the steering wheel out west, say 3-4 hours or so inland, but not often along the coast unless you’re acknowledging something like someone letting you go ahead of them or something.

And I would have thought defender drivers were more likely to flick you the bird out of wishing they had an IG. 😉

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
We need a how-to-greet-grenadier-drivers-map by region.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:47 PM
Reaction score
In the States, when riding a Harley, one would give an inverted 'V' sign pointing towards the road. Recognition of the appreciation of a V Twin.
Loved it in a cheesy sort of way. 😁

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I like that idea. ^

Also, that commercial is top notch.

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The A from the IG is more likley a lambda from the greek alphabet. Which was used bei the spartan hoplites... Sadly the identitarian movement uses the lambda symbol nowadays....

Back
Top Bottom