The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Suspension spring upgrade

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
I am having a internal debate on ordering the winch, part me is saying yes while other is like patience grasshopper. Anyways, I was on FB and came across this picture. The same matte green grenadier doing is now adding eibach prototype springs. Looks like 35 can fit. I think I will hold off on winch and see how this develops.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230531_153049_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230531_153049_Chrome.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20230531_153022_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230531_153022_Chrome.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 87

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:50 AM
Reaction score
I am having a internal debate on ordering the winch, part me is saying yes while other is like patience grasshopper. Anyways, I was on FB and came across this picture. The same matte green grenadier doing is now adding eibach prototype springs. Looks like 35 can fit. I think I will hold off on winch and see how this develops.
Not sure how these are related. Winch may come with a different front spring rating but that won’t change clearance. The pictured vehicle has had a suspension lift, but doesn’t give you an integrated winch. More than likely the aftermarket will deliver all kinds of things including bars, winches lifts etc.

Still comes down to whether you want a winch that is integrated into the OE bar, and do you want it straight away. If you do then likely the best option is to order from factory. If you are happy to wait then likely an option will turn up over time, but most likely will be a front bar replacement as well.

Suspension lifts are basically unrelated. But some degree of suspension upgrade will likely also be required just to maintain existing clearance depending on weight of winch and probably bar.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure how these are related. Winch may come with a different front spring rating but that won’t change clearance. The pictured vehicle has had a suspension lift, but doesn’t give you an integrated winch. More than likely the aftermarket will deliver all kinds of things including bars, winches lifts etc.

Still comes down to whether you want a winch that is integrated into the OE bar, and do you want it straight away. If you do then likely the best option is to order from factory. If you are happy to wait then likely an option will turn up over time, but most likely will be a front bar replacement as well.

Suspension lifts are basically unrelated. But some degree of suspension upgrade will likely also be required just to maintain existing clearance depending on weight of winch and probably bar.
It's my understanding that if you get some factory options like a winch, Ineos will put in a different spring to address the extra weight and improve the off-road and on-road handling. I think I read somewhere other added options also change the springs they install including if you go with side steps or rock sliders, second battery, roof rack etc.
I am not exactly sure which other options trigger spring change. I am going to send a request to Stu under Ineos Questions and Answers to see if we can find out. If anyone else knows in the mean time, please weigh in and let us know. On my pre-order today, one of my options was the rock sliders that weigh more than the side steps. I choose to get that option now so I would have a better fitted factory spring set up to account for the extra weight, even though I might switch them out to an aftermarket rock slider with steps. Yes, an extra cost, however I will not have to pay to have the springs upgraded later, which will surely save some money and time. If I end up going after market, then I will just sell my Grenadier rock sliders in the Grenadier Forum to offset some or hopefully all the extra cost of ordering them now and as a bonus will not have to pay for a spring upgrade. I am also hoping someone in the aftermarket will manufacture some bolt-on / bolt-off side steps that can easily be attached to the Grenadier rock sliders and will offer a reasonable entry step height. Black Sheep Innovations is offering a very nice Stainless Steel Rock Slider that works with Hi-Lift jacks and they also have lighter weight aluminum side steps that attach to them. The only issue I have with them for my purposes is that the step height is too high for my wife, (4'11"). I have reached out to Black Rock to have them provide me the step height off the ground measurements and will report back to everyone what I find out when they get back to me. I will say the Black Rock Sliders and Steps look purpose built for the Grenadier. Additionally, Urban Automotive will be coming out with their side steps in the next couple weeks. I have reached out to them to get info if their solution also functions as a rock slider too with steps or just side steps. I will say from viewing their initial product design idea video, it is a much nicer looking side step then Grenadier has. Only issue with both Black Rock and Urban is the extra shipping from the Switzerland and the UK. It may be a lot to get them to USA and Canada and elsewhere. Will report back what they quote me to ship to California. Here's the link to the Grenadier offerings from Black Rock and also a link to the initial design video for the side steps from Urban. DaBull
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS8XUgpSJks

Reactions: DDG

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

I understand that they are unrelated except a stiffer spring if you go with a winch. I was pointing out that fact a prototype spring has already been created allowing more clearance and maybe a 35.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I understand that they are unrelated except a stiffer spring if you go with a winch. I was pointing out that fact a prototype spring has already been created allowing more clearance and maybe a 35.
Got that with the 35's. Good to know that springs for 35's appear to be out there. DaBull

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:50 AM
Reaction score
Ineos will put in a different spring to address the extra weight and improve the off-road and on-road handling. I think I read somewhere other added options also change the springs they install including if you go with side steps or rock sliders, second battery, roof rack etc.
Not entirely sure for Ineos, but what is typical is a different FRONT spring rate as follows (listed in increasing stiffness):
  1. Petrol engine
  2. Diesel engine
  3. Petrol + (steel) bullbar
  4. Diesel + bullbar
  5. Petrol + bullbar + winch
  6. Diesel + bullbar + winch
Back usually stays the same. No other accessories typically matter.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not entirely sure for Ineos, but what is typical is a different FRONT spring rate as follows (listed in increasing stiffness):
  1. Petrol engine
  2. Diesel engine
  3. Petrol + (steel) bullbar
  4. Diesel + bullbar
  5. Petrol + bullbar + winch
  6. Diesel + bullbar + winch
Back usually stays the same. No other accessories typically matter.
Hi Globalgregors, That makes a lot of sense. Will be interested to see if Ineos responds and what they have to say and if it is clear
enough or just opens up more questions. DaBull

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:50 PM
Reaction score
I know there's been an unofficial leak of a "draft" Winch Manual, but aren't current owners under a request from Ineos to NOT use their winches until the official Winch Manual is released to them?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I know there's been an unofficial leak of a "draft" Winch Manual, but aren't current owners under a request from Ineos to NOT use their winches until the official Winch Manual is released to them?
I’ve never seen or been told of such a request. I have only used the winch to try it out but it would seem I bit ridiculous to handover vehicles equipped with kit that you shouldn’t use

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve never seen or been told of such a request. I have only used the winch to try it out but it would seem I bit ridiculous to handover vehicles equipped with kit that you shouldn’t use
What is your impression of the winch, noted you have not really put it to 'the test' yet but first thoughts?

Does it need to leave the spliced part dangling?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It was posted on here somewhere...

1682707709845.png1682707767259.png

Back
Top Bottom