The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steel wheels, 17 vs 18 inch?

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:00 PM
Reaction score
The max pressure and load rating of the 17” bfg is 3195 lbs at 80 psig while the 18” bfg is 2835 lbs at 65 psig. I believe the 17” version of this tire has additional plys in it’s construction. This info is from tire photos at the Colorado event last week.
The 80 psi rating would also explain the need for steel-not rubber-valve stems on the wheels. Indeed, the 17” BFG would seem to be the ‘stronger’ tire.

ATP

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:00 PM
Reaction score
I read that steel wheels are preferable as you can hammer it back to shape if you bend it out in the wilderness.
To an extent. But at least you can try. Don't try it with an alloy...

I've gone the 17' as have tried getting AT/MT Light Truck tyres in remote towns before. They have lots of 16", increasing numbers of 17", but bugger all 18"...

Local time
Reaction score
Even over here in the US the 17" is my pick as I have a better chance at getting a replacement in the smaller towns. I have ran steel and alloy in some very demanding off road situations with wildland fire trucks. I really never had an issue other then the alloys seem to scar up more or quicker then the steels once you get to rubbing against those rocks. The steels you can touch up with paint if its just a minor abrasion. I am still undecide as to steel or alloy, I like both, the price differences might help my decision.

Last edited:

Rocky10

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I was looking at replacing my 18" steel wheels with Method alloy ones. I decided to keep the steel and try some larger tires. I ran Toyo Open Country AT III's on my LR in the past. I liked how quiet thy are on the road. I hope to check them out off-road soon. They are 385 70R 18's. I have about an 1/8 in clearance on my spare to the door opening.😬 I think it looks better with the larger tires.

Attachments

• IMG_8013.jpeg
    IMG_8013.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8014.jpeg
    IMG_8014.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8015.jpeg
    IMG_8015.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 35

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:00 AM
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
I was looking at replacing my 18" steel wheels with Method alloy ones. I decided to keep the steel and try some larger tires. I ran Toyo Open Country AT III's on my LR in the past. I liked how quiet thy are on the road. I hope to check them out off-road soon. They are 385 70R 18's. I have about an 1/8 in clearance on my spare to the door opening.😬 I think it looks better with the larger tires.
That looks very good. Have you measured how much difference is the diameter of the original tires and your new tire? How much more ground clearance did you get? Thx Barney

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:00 AM
Reaction score
In the uk at least it seems a wider range of tyres is available for 18’s.

I have 17’s and plan to keep it that way. I would like a spare set though 🤔

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:00 PM
Reaction score
Isn’t it easier to get a 17” tyre if you need one remote? I thought that would be an advantage
You'd only go an 18 for looks (even then I prefer more rubber) and mostly on road/non remote travel.

Reactions: RBM
Back
Top Bottom