The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steel wheels, 17 vs 18 inch?

outack

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:26 PM
Reaction score
I was surprised to see the option for both 17 and 18 inch steel wheels.

I understand the appeal of the larger 18 inch with the alloys, but why offer both a 17 and an 18 in the steel wheels? If you're looking at the steelies, you're likely going for the off-road advantages.

Anyone spec'ing the larger 18 inch steelies? Why?

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
17" - all the way. Softer to drive on hard road and check the costs on 17 v 18 tires... as a stock option 17 is good value.
I figure, any upgrade made to this will be after market, then you can also sell the 17s to offset the local pricing.

Local time
Reaction score
The 18 inch wheel has a slightly larger diameter, and is easy to make a little bigger.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score

I understand the appeal of the larger 18 inch with the alloys, but why offer both a 17 and an 18 in the steel wheels? If you're looking at the steelies, you're likely going for the off-road advantages.

Many people option the 18" steels because the rubber is lower profile and so handles on road better.
They probably realise they are going to spend 90% of their time on road.
I have gone with the 17" alloys because I think the steel rims are just trying too hard to copy the Defender.
But then again I could be wrong

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
10:26 AM
Reaction score
Many people option the 18" steels because the rubber is lower profile and so handles on road better.
They probably realise they are going to spend 90% of their time on road.
I have gone with the 17" alloys because I think the steel rims are just trying too hard to copy the Defender.
But then again I could be wrong
Or they could be copying the OEM 17” steelies on my 2015 Toyota Fortuner GX. 🙂

C84965B7-DAD3-4C02-A348-64D409E493A1.jpeg

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Yes - I’m going 18” steelies. There is still plenty of sidewall on the 18’s and a slightly larger rolling diameter. I’m not going looking for trouble off-road and from experience know that these will suit my touring needs a bulk of which will be on sealed roads where the improved driving dynamics will be appreciated.

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:26 AM
Reaction score
is the offset between the 4 wheel type the same?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think either will in practice be fine. My last two 4x4s have has 18” in a similar size and had no issues off road or finding tyres. I went 17” primarily because I didn’t like the look of the steelies and didn’t like the look of the 18” alloys, probably would have gone 18” for the marginally higher clearance if they had been more attractive

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
I think either will in practice be fine. My last two 4x4s have has 18” in a similar size and had no issues off road or finding tyres. I went 17” primarily because I didn’t like the look of the steelies and didn’t like the look of the 18” alloys, probably would have gone 18” for the marginally higher clearance if they had been more attractive
Exactly the same decision for me

Local time
7:26 PM
Reaction score
The taller sidewalls can "flop" more as the vehicle take a curve. Reducing pressure with a 17" wheel should give you a wider footprint, and thus better flotation on the sand. That's the choices I need to figure out

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Yeah-nar. 17s all the way. 17s also better at low pressure on the beach/soft in my personal experience.

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Both 17" & 18" tyres are similar 31.6" (803 mm) rolling diameter. Both offer similar load and speed rating. You will notice any Grenadier photos or on demonstrators with Steel rims have more wheel weights to achieve balance. For Off Road, the most popular are alloy.
Alloys are somewhat lighter, helps the suspension to react sooner (hard to measure). If thinking of going 35" dia. rims for additional lift, rims would need to be wider than factory. If also going for a 2" lift with suspension, you will need to consider loads on the entire drive train including all bearings, adjustments to steering etc. I remember harsh times in winter changing a damaged off road tyre on the old steel split rims, was a pain. At least not as bad on an alloy.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:26 PM
Reaction score
I read that steel wheels are preferable as you can hammer it back to shape if you bend it out in the wilderness.

Back
Top Bottom