The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steamy Window

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:05 PM
Reaction score
No, I do not mean the song from Tina Turner.

Today, during a one hour drive in the rain, my left door window (driver's side) got fogged up, while the right (passenger's side) remained clear. We were two people - driver and passenger - and I had to push the window defroster button (blower) several times to clear the left window.

Anyone else?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:05 PM
Reaction score
No, I do not mean the song from Tina Turner.

Today, during a one hour drive in the rain, my left door window (driver's side) got fogged up, while the right (passenger's side) remained clear. We were two people - driver and passenger - and I had to push the window defroster button (blower) several times to clear the left window.

Anyone else?
Was the direction of the air vents pointing exactly the same way on both sides. Or your wife is cooler 😎 than you 😉

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have the same. First check, how are the vents at the windows? Indeed my wife tends to turn them down or have closed them. The rest is, going on manual and playing with the settings, heat/AC/ventilator speed and directions… It disappears once the car is getting a bit on temperature and the air is a bit dehumidified . I only have this when my car is parked outdoors in wet conditions (logica) But in most of the time my car is parked inside my workshop and warehouse, where it’s dry and warm. So I have rarely that problem.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:05 PM
Reaction score
There are many posts strewn about in several threads regarding the HVAC system - how much do we think the problems are software related? Will an update be able to solve these issues or are physical shortcomings to blame?

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There are many posts strewn about in several threads regarding the HVAC system - how much do we think the problems are software related? Will an update be able to solve these issues or are physical shortcomings to blame?
I don't think it's software related. It's just a basic heater system with an auto button, but without the real logic and sensors behind that button. So, I always put it on manual, only when everything is on temperature I may push that button.
It's works fine once you know how to control it manually. Just like in my td5 Defender, you need to play a bit with it.
Of cours, if you are used to cars with a multizone automatic temperate regulation, it can be a serious set back and frustration. Also a lot of modern cars have an electric heater system to start up with, until the engine himself gives you enough heat. That's the reason why it takes an amount of time before the interieur starts to warm up. So pushing that auto button to start with gives you no advantage, except the flue.
But again like in all discussions here, what is you reference car or benchmark to compare with? For me it's my Defender. And so, everything on the Grenadier is a step forward.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Was the direction of the air vents pointing exactly the same way on both sides.
Yes they were.

But this doesn't play a role as the defogging-outlets for the side windows are fixed and point directly on the window. This seems to work only on the passenger side (right) but not on the drivers side (left hand). The passenger window is clear regardless of were the adjustable air vents pointed - be it symetrically in the same direction or not. It's the side outlets which (should) keep them free on both sides.

Or your wife is cooler
This is an illogical assumption because the clear window on her side would probably indicate a hotter person. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
First check, how are the vents at the windows? Indeed my wife tends to turn them down or have closed them.
To be a bit more elaborate on the adjustable vents: My window does of course get much clearer if I point the vent directly to the window.

But it's a matter of fact that the window on the passenger side is always clear, not matter where the passenger vent points. The de-icing button does as well clear the window as there is ALL air coming out of the side outlets (whith a lot of noise) which is sufficient to keep the windows clear.

But what I expect from the ventilation system is that the side windows are kept clear without having to activate the de-icing function every five or six minutes. And this is exactly the case on the right side, but not on the left side.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes they were.

But this doesn'tplay a role as the defogging-outlets for the side windows are fixed and point directly on the window. This seems so work only on the passender side (left) but not on the drivers side (right hand). The passenger window is clear regardless of were the adjustable air vents pointed - be it symetrically in the same direction or not. It's the side outlets which (should) keep them free on both sides.

This is an illogical assumption because the clear window on her side would probably indicate a hotter person. 🤷‍♂️
When the windows start to steam up I just put the a/c on and they clear quickly and leave the a/c on. They do clear equally on both sides. I must admit I hadn't realised that they where fixed vents at the side. Shows how much notice I have taken. Clearly you have an obstructed or more likely a disconnected vent. Not connected during build

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:05 PM
Reaction score
To be a bit more elaborate on the adjustable vents: My window does of course get much clearer if I point the vent directly to the window.

But it's a matter of fact that the window on the passenger side is always clear, not matter where the passenger vent points. The de-icing button does as well clear the window as there is ALL air coming out of the side outlets (whith a lot of noise) which is sufficient to keep the windows clear.

But what I expect from the ventilation system is that the side windows are kept clear without having to activate the de-icing function every five or six minutes. And this is exactly the case on the right side, but not on the left side.
Did your first Grenadier do the same thing?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't think so.

But this was in the summer time, so no fogging at all in the car.

And this was before the software update, so I was busy with bongs ... 🤷‍♂️
so smokey windows then?

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Worth checking for leaks of water into the cabin. Condensation and damp very bad in our truck, I could not see any water ingress but reckoned we must have serious leaks. Agent very good - seals replaced in each safari roof and both front doors. The flooring was very wet as was the firewall. Hopefully now fixed and slowly drying out.
Still drives very well!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Worth checking for leaks of water into the cabin.
For sure. I think this is the genetically closest part of the Grenadier to the original Defender.

This is probably an issue for all Grenadiers.

But two symmetrical windows having different ventilation is a different story.

Back
Top Bottom