The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Station wagon vs. commercial versions

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:05 PM
Reaction score
Can somebody explain, what the differences between the 5-seat station wagon and the 5-seat commercial are?

I know, the rear windows differ by default, and, AFAIK, in the commercial version the rear seats are located a bit more forward. But are there any other things to consider?
  • Is there a different location for the batteries?
  • What else?

3DDiY

Reservation Holder
Local time
4:05 PM
Reaction score
Yea I think there is a bit more storage in the commercial. Because of the seat and the floor, Everything you said. There hasn't been any commercial prototypes built or seen yet by people. At least none that I know of. So there is little details on the details of what is physically different and where they moved things. 

grenadierguy

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:05 PM
Reaction score
3DDiY said:
Yea I think there is a bit more storage in the commercial. Because of the seat and the floor, Everything you said. There hasn't been any commercial prototypes built or seen yet by people. At least none that I know of. So there is little details on the details of what is physically different and where they moved things. 

I saw people say they rode in commercial versions when on ride alongs. ?

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:05 PM
Reaction score
Yeah about 50% of the 2b prototypes were the 5 seat Commercial I think. One I rode in was 

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:05 AM
Reaction score
emax said:
Can somebody explain, what the differences between the 5-seat station wagon and the 5-seat commercial are?

I know, the rear windows differ by default, and, AFAIK, in the commercial version the rear seats are located a bit more forward. But are there any other things to consider?
  • What else?

Good question... I have sought answers on this from the Australian Ineos reps. I'm coming to the view that what I really need vs what I thought I wanted, is the so called "Utility/Commercial" version with the 5 seat option. This will provide a cargo barrier as standard. I'll also opt for the gull windows at the rear for easy access . I'm looking for a reliable comfortable vehicle to undertake some serious outback travel.  In effect I need a "big box".  When I receive the info I'll post it here. I'm expecting more details once the full-blown configurator with prices is released in the next couple of weeks (? hopefully!)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
You mean in the commercial?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's a bit confusing... On the Australian  version of the "configurator" the "commercial" version is actually referred to as a "Utility Wagon" 
I received the following reply from Ineos but even they seem to be waiting for the final price/options list to be available this month  ...

"...OK So at this point in time Australia will be offering the 5 seat station wagon with cargo barrier behind the 2nd row of seats likely available as an option and not standard and the 2 seat Utility Wagon with standard cargo barrier behind the driver and passenger seats likely standard."... 

there is no mention as to whether the second row of seats will fold or not...  I once witnessed an  example of the carnage from unrestrained 'çargo' (camping gear etc) in a side swipe collision (not us thankfully!)  and as a result  had a heavy duty removable cargo barrier installed in my previous and current (Hyundai) SUVs..

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> there is no mention as to whether the second row of seats will fold or not... 

In the station wagon, yes. This it at least what I see in all pictures and videos.

If there is a 2nd seat row in the commercial at all (I simply don't know), then it's a must, I guess. Which sense would a commercial make with two seat rows for the price of an unrecoverable, reduced cargo space?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The utility version is available as a two seat or 5 seat. 
Both have a fixed cargo barrier behind the last row pf seats. 
So two seat version has a cargo barrier behind the front row of seats.
5 Seat version states that the rear seats are more upright and have a cargo barrier behind them . 
What would you benefit from folding the rear seats if they were more upright and had a cargo barrier behind them??
The commercial version is also not offered in North america 

Pessimal

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
does anyone have a definite answer regarding Foldability of the back seats in the Utility version? This looks like the latch for the folding mechanism in the utility wagon configurator  

Igfan

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I went on my U.K. 2b prototype tour ride yesterday in number 46 which was a 5 seat utility wagon and they folded. I asked the rep why in the U.K. brochure there was no quoted max luggage length behind the 1st row for the 5 seat non edition and he guessed it was because of the hard load space separator but wasn’t sure. He was confident they would be folding for that model.Not sure if this is definitive enough but I went ahead and ordered the 5 seat basic wagon without some of the bits I didn’t want from the belstaff editions. The load space felt much bigger to me than the interior prototype one that was there which had the bigger legroom and more raked rear seat and I didn’t mind the upright position and legroom in the utility one.

Pessimal

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Igfan said:
I went on my U.K. 2b prototype tour ride yesterday in number 46 which was a 5 seat utility wagon and they folded. I asked the rep why in the U.K. brochure there was no quoted max luggage length behind the 1st row for the 5 seat non edition and he guessed it was because of the hard load space separator but wasn’t sure. He was confident they would be folding for that model.Not sure if this is definitive enough but I went ahead and ordered the 5 seat basic wagon without some of the bits I didn’t want from the belstaff editions. The load space felt much bigger to me than the interior prototype one that was there which had the bigger legroom and more raked rear seat and I didn’t mind the upright position and legroom in the utility one.
Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Since you saw first hand, I'm guessing the load space separator is removable?

Igfan

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Yes it looked removable. I was thinking of swapping it out for the netting one just because it is more substantial than I would need.

Local time
8:05 PM
Reaction score

• What else?
The five seat Station Wagon and 5 seat Commercial are the same things. The Station Wagon is a commercial model with the rear seat around 90mm further forward and the seat back in a much more upright position. They will be DVLA registered as an N1 Light Goods Vehicle and as such will have road speed limits unlike 'normal' cars. The main battery and fuse box are underneath the rear seat cushion - and if you have the aux battery plus CTEK charger and inverter, these units will be located there as well. If you want a Grenadier with 'normal' rear seat position you have to select either of the Belstaff Editions - the Trialmaster or the Fieldmaster - costing a load more cash as they are pre-specced with expensive items all chosen by INEOS.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
You answered to an outdated post. I have in the meantime seen both versions and driven a Station Wagon.

will have road speed limits unlike 'normal' cars

Not in Germany.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
But towing restrictions at the weekends. Don't forget that, guys. So you should think twice before registering it as a commercial vehicle in Germany.

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not Germany:
„On Sundays and public holidays, trucks with a permissible total weight of more than 7.5 t are not allowed to drive between midnight and 10 p.m. The driving ban on Sundays and public holidays only applies to commercial goods traffic. This means: If the truck has a permissible total weight of 7.5 t or less, then it does not even come under the Sunday and public holiday driving ban.
If it is heavier or you are driving with a trailer (the weight of the combination is irrelevant), then the purpose of the journey is decisive. If the purpose of the trip is not to transport goods for commercial purposes, then you may drive without restrictions on Sundays and public holidays. So you can go on holiday with your caravan or mobile home without hesitation. Participation in private events (e.g. trucker, vintage car meeting) is also possible without any problems.“ (ADAC)

Back
Top Bottom