The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Start / Stop

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:17 PM
Reaction score
Good news and bad news then Skydance, bad that it was missing in the first place but clearly good that it’s a problem that should disappear when the module is fitted.

It maybe that the module detects whether a trailer is being towed or not, a missing module and the cars thinks that there is a trailer and won’t enable S/S.
Absolutely. It is good news. On the aftermarket some one will remove the module to disable auto stop/start in future for many of those who want it. However, software may be required in addition.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
2:17 PM
Reaction score
I don’t actually turn mine off, I leave it on and let it turn off at traffic lights or in heavy traffic etc.

If I am at a junction and looking to pull out, if it comes on, I just let the pressure off the brake pedal and the engine kicks up, that way I am not trying to pull away with a stopped engine. It’s that very scenario I think it could get someone in trouble.

You could just drive a LR Discovery 5, that thing nearly got me killed a number of times, put my foot down for a quick getaway, a cup of tea and a sandwich later the car decided to move off !!! Not annoying at all.

Local time
Reaction score
BMW must be worried about the extra engine wear as the have put in more durable l bearings in

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:17 AM
Reaction score
It’s just too sensitive try doing a 3 point turn boardering on dangerous catches you out.
I agree with this. It has a horrible turning radius so most parking jobs require 3 point turns. Killing itself before I can put it in reverse is just lame. Like chill, I am just trying to park here. LOL

AWo

Local time
8:17 PM
Reaction score
Yes and if you calculated the fuel consumption at idle you see that it won't save the planet.
The famous and highly respected Fraunhofer Institute published a study in 2004 which already has shown that keeping the traffic flowing is the best to reduce emissions. But that is the most expensive and unpopular solution from the perspective of the officials and the government.

Ok, the engines can cope with stop/start systems better than a few years ago. You must just look at the starter, which can take far more starts then in earlier days, but the dependencies, complexity and the number of sensors which may fail or bad software...(ok...that is absolutely unlikely) increases again which can cause related damage thereby.

AWo

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:17 PM
Reaction score
First car I have with start-stop, and it works very well.
I don't mind at traffic lights and "very" heavy traffic, when sometimes you get stuck for 10ns of seconds.

But, as a lonely exception, I do respect the STOP signs (even police doesn't!) even when I can see and don't see any car coming, and then I hate it: stop, motor goes off, start immediately. When I am aware of it, I switch it off.

And as a side comment, about 10 years ago, with my former car (no start-stop yet) I arrived at a place with high visibility at a stop sign, my youngest son with me in the car:
  • Me (to my son): nobody respects this STOP
  • (I stopped)
  • [bong]
  • Me to my son: get out and memorize the number plate (you never know)
  • (I got out of the car)
  • Other driver, angry: Why did you stop?
  • Me: there is a stop sign!
:eek: :ROFLMAO:

Finally, everything went well, he was insured, And my car got repaired for free.

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine has never worked and IA doesn't seem to know why. Saves me having to constantly turn off but i would prefer it works as it should. We only have 1 other car with stop start which I always turn off

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine has never worked and IA doesn't seem to know why. Saves me having to constantly turn off but i would prefer it works as it should. We only have 1 other car with stop start which I always turn off
Yes that would annoy me too, ironically. Should work as designed and then your input/choice to disable it - permanently is what I would appreciate.

Don't sweat the small stuff and all that but sometimes these things niggle.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My dealer told me that the reason why stop/start doesn’t work is because it’s missing a trailer module from the factory.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:17 AM
Reaction score
Stop-start = bad!
Says mechanic
"
Start/stop technology is the dumbest thing that’s come out in a long time. ‘Oh you get better gas mileage and you’re not polluting blah, blah, blah.

“Every time you start your car, 97 per cent of the wear is when you start the car so do you want to keep starting and stopping it, not if you want your car to last a long time.” He added: “It's plain obsolescence, The engine will wear out faster, then they will sell you another car."

“Of course [the manufacturers] love it, they don't want the cars to last forever. It's not like that's going to break your car in five minutes, it takes tens and tens of thousands of miles for it to wear your engine. But it will wear your engine," he added.

“You're doing the best thing you possibly can, turn the stupid thing off every time you start the car so it doesn't do it.”"

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:17 PM
Reaction score
Stop-start = bad!
Says mechanic
"
Start/stop technology is the dumbest thing that’s come out in a long time. ‘Oh you get better gas mileage and you’re not polluting blah, blah, blah.

“Every time you start your car, 97 per cent of the wear is when you start the car so do you want to keep starting and stopping it, not if you want your car to last a long time.” He added: “It's plain obsolescence, The engine will wear out faster, then they will sell you another car."

“Of course [the manufacturers] love it, they don't want the cars to last forever. It's not like that's going to break your car in five minutes, it takes tens and tens of thousands of miles for it to wear your engine. But it will wear your engine," he added.

“You're doing the best thing you possibly can, turn the stupid thing off every time you start the car so it doesn't do it.”"

@Tazzieman, exactly!
Btw. do you always adapt your flag to the country you are in?

Local time
Reaction score
For cold engine yes, for warm engine not so much.
Dumb still.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:17 AM
Reaction score
@Tazzieman, exactly!
Btw. do you always adapt your flag to the country you are in?
Ha! I just noticed that! It appears the forum software is spying on my login location.

We'll assume that in a few days I will become Irish...

S52

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
11:17 AM
Reaction score
Stop-start = bad!
Says mechanic
"

Agreed.

Also repeated start stop not good for the turbo charger. I always idle my turbocharged cars for 1-2 minutes prior to shutting them off. This allows the turbo to spool down with positive oil pressure along with minimizing heat soak as the oil allows it to dissipate heat effectively after high demand such as freeway driving or acceleration from a stop.

If you get a green light and get into boost to accelerate up to the next intersection where the light turns red and you come to a stop the auto stop will kill the engine (and positive oil pressure to the turbo) while its still spooling down spinning at 10K’s+ rpm. Not good!

Back
Top Bottom