The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Side steps versus Rock sliders

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:35 PM
Reaction score
I'm no expert on latest kit and techniques but I was swapping stories with a firefighter many years ago, and we got onto the subject of air bags and their use. The air bags they used then were primarily used as passive support to stabilise things rather than active lifting in rescue situations.

One of the reasons being the large contact patches of bags made the actual predictability of how exactly they would move a load when inflated so difficult. Not what you want with a load trapping someone's legs.
I can not confirm this. the pneumatic cushions are state of the art for lifting. They can handle high weights from a safe distance an are very good to level more or less within mm-steps (at least when some pressure is on them)
Have a look at my post #115.
for passive holding you use struts or wood which you bring in after lifting with the bags. To stabilize before, during and after lifting there are different techniques as well.
So you lift with the bag and you hold with the strut (or wood). Of course there are many ways to lift with hydraulic tools as well but from my experience it is a minority.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:35 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone have the measurements of the Grenadier Side Steps. Specifically,
1) How far from the ground to the top of the rubber step?
2) How far from the top of the rubber step to where you would naturally next land your foot getting into the cab?
@DaBull Here you go!

Attachments

• IMG_2077.jpg
    IMG_2077.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2078.jpg
    IMG_2078.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 101

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
Thanks Rovie, Mighty kind of you. I have side steps on my current 2020 110 Defender and am trying to compare entry height on new Grenadier with side steps to my 2020 Defender. My wife is 4'11" and having side steps is a must if I want to order my Grenadier on May 17th. Thank You!

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:35 AM
Reaction score
That was my
Thanks Rovie, Mighty kind of you. I have side steps on my current 2020 110 Defender and am trying to compare entry height on new Grenadier with side steps to my 2020 Defender. My wife is 4'11" and having side steps is a must if I want to order my Grenadier on May 17th. Thank You!
That was my thinking also & wife is 5'3"

step to door sill = 200mm; no issue for anyone (above the age of 3 years)

ground to side step = 390mm; double the height of a typical stair riser but still ok for 95%

ground to sill = 590mm; now that's a show stopper for many & a stretch for most

grenadierguy

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:35 PM
Reaction score
That was my

That was my thinking also & wife is 5'3"

step to door sill = 200mm; no issue for anyone (above the age of 3 years)

ground to side step = 390mm; double the height of a typical stair riser but still ok for 95%

ground to sill = 590mm; now that's a show stopper for many & a stretch for most
Thanks for jotting that out @grenadierboy!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:35 PM
Reaction score
My Grenadier has arrived minus the side steps. Apart from quite liking the cleaner look, I have found access & egress easier (but still not ideal) than in my old Defender. Now wondering if I should see about getting my money back on the side steps and waiting to see what else comes to market that might set the vehicle off that little bit more. I imagined that getting into the Grenadier without side steps would have been a none starter. For the record I am 5'9" and two new hips.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've got the sliders and find getting in and out no issue. There's something to be said with waiting to see what the aftermarket bring out; but then I'm no fan of how the current steps look.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I can not confirm this. the pneumatic cushions are state of the art for lifting. They can handle high weights from a safe distance an are very good to level more or less within mm-steps (at least when some pressure is on them)
Have a look at my post #115.
for passive holding you use struts or wood which you bring in after lifting with the bags. To stabilize before, during and after lifting there are different techniques as well.
So you lift with the bag and you hold with the strut (or wood). Of course there are many ways to lift with hydraulic tools as well but from my experience it is a minority.
Yes, my local fire department teaches “lift an inch, crib an inch”

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Best option I’ve seen thus far. Hopefully we can get them in US at a fair price (shipping costs being the barrier).

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was looking at the side steps on my Grenadier and specifically the mounting points which turn out to be robust and substantial This got me thinking that they look strong enough to jack the vehicle up from. So I had a go and sure enough plenty strong enough 😎IMG_1780.jpegIMG_1779.jpegIMG_1781.jpeg

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:35 AM
Reaction score
I was looking at the side steps on my Grenadier and specifically the mounting points which turn out to be robust and substantial This got me thinking that they look strong enough to jack the vehicle up from. So I had a go and sure enough plenty strong enough 😎View attachment 7816186View attachment 7816185View attachment 7816187
Early on at one of the drive days ine of the INEOS staff told me you could jack fromthe side steps and they certainly looked like you could. But that has never been officially claimed

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Early on at one of the drive days ine of the INEOS staff told me you could jack fromthe side steps and they certainly looked like you could. But that has never been officially claimed
Those attachment points are huge and a big tube also. More than strong enough. It would take a serious battering to bend those steps

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My wife (5’2”) said No to the side steps, and I decided to pass on the rock sliders. I’ll wait to see what the aftermarket provides.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think the thing with side steps is they collect dirt that then rubs off on your legs when you get out.. I know that would piss my wife off more than the fact that she might struggle to get in.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was looking at the side steps on my Grenadier and specifically the mounting points which turn out to be robust and substantial This got me thinking that they look strong enough to jack the vehicle up from. So I had a go and sure enough plenty strong enough 😎View attachment 7816186View attachment 7816185View attachment 7816187
I think we must have subscribed to the same 4x4 magazine many, many years ago, when they did an article on making your own Hilift jack stand. 👍

Keypocket

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was torn before ordering -but decided on holding out for aftermarket sliders. The Black Sheep ones look really nice. I wasn't a fan of the step or the sliders that I saw from Ineos. I have sliders on my G550 and it's really not a problem getting in and out for my kids - actually a bit of exercise they need! I originally spec'd with all the goodies but decided to wait on a lot of stuff for aftermarket. I have a Front Runner rack on my Mercedes and I really want something different this time - the Rhino looks to be the same and the mounting is what I'm most against. I really like how the Black Sheep mounts to the roof handles. I'm going to wait it out and see what happens aftermarket. Can't wait for this vehicle.

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:35 AM
Reaction score
I initially wanted the steps but having seen the sliders, opted for them. Looking at adding a step myself. Bolt on so they can be removed off-road or welded on to the sliders. The sliders are useless as steps- slippery and pretty much zero space to step on from. Working on this and will post once the sliders arrive

Back
Top Bottom