The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Show us your mods.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:35 AM
Reaction score
Fitted a wee 300w inverter. Enough power for what I need, which will only be a MacBook Pro and a Makita battery charger.

I chose this one because it fits perfectly on the bottle jack holder and it has a low enough draw to be spliced in to the aux socket in the boot. The fuses are on the back so I used zip ties to secure it in case I need to pull it out to change one. It’s nice and secure and is cushioned by the neoprene which was already on the jack holder.

I cut a small channel to allow the wire of the Makita charger to pass through the cover. I then mounted the charger on the side of the trim. I’m very happy with the result.

The inverter is a https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086W5PVMG/?tag=globalgrena0b-20

Attachments

• IMG_4816.jpeg
    IMG_4816.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_4817.jpeg
    IMG_4817.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_4818.jpeg
    IMG_4818.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 457

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
Are there any inverters that do not have direct 230V power outlets in case but so that 230V Sockets and wiring can be placed where I want it. Today I was investigating on several stores for vehicle & outdoor equipment - whenever I looked for a proper inverter (real sinus) the sockets are always installed in the casing and that is unsuitable for my purpose. If anyone finds a brand of a proper and affordable 2kW inverter that allows to connect to external sockets it would be kind to let the community here and myself know.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Fitted a wee 300w inverter. Enough power for what I need, which will only be a MacBook Pro and a Makita battery charger.

I chose this one because it fits perfectly on the bottle jack holder and it has a low enough draw to be spliced in to the aux socket in the boot. The fuses are on the back so I used zip ties to secure it in case I need to pull it out to change one. It’s nice and secure and is cushioned by the neoprene which was already on the jack holder.

I cut a small channel to allow the wire of the Makita charger to pass through the cover. I then mounted the charger on the side of the trim. I’m very happy with the result.

The inverter is a https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086W5PVMG/?tag=globalgrena0b-20
very smart mod 💪

Reactions: PBD

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:35 AM
Reaction score
Are there any inverters that do not have direct 230V power outlets in case but so that 230V Sockets and wiring can be placed where I want it. Today I was investigating on several stores for vehicle & outdoor equipment - whenever I looked for a proper inverter (real sinus) the sockets are always installed in the casing and that is unsuitable for my purpose. If anyone finds a brand of a proper and affordable 2kW inverter that allows to connect to external sockets it would be kind to let the community here and myself know.
You should be able to buy just a domestic extension cord and a domestic GPO socket and plug the cord into the inverter, then cut the end off the extension cord and wire it to the gpo socket, (for legal reasons I advise having a licensed electrician do this)

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You should be able to buy just a domestic extension cord and a domestic GPO socket and plug the cord into the inverter, then cut the end off the extension cord and wire it to the gpo socket, (for legal reasons I advise having a licensed electrician do this)
I thought that too. But in the end this was really simple to do, I’m happy with power in just the one place. One consideration when running 230volts through a vehicle is that if a wire rubs through and contacts the metal body work the whole car could become live!
It would be great for not getting parking tickets… but ….

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I thought that too. But in the end this was really simple to do, I’m happy with power in just the one place. One consideration when running 230volts through a vehicle is that if a wire rubs through and contacts the metal body work the whole car could become live!
It would be great for not getting parking tickets… but ….
It is true that many people used to working themselves with 12v automotive hugely underestimate the dangers of effectively adding full domestic power into their vehicles. You really need to treat it like what it actually is. Dangerous full domestic current.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
An inverter converts 12 Volt DC to 240V ac.
12 VDC is wired between + and - with the negative connected to the frame of the vehicle (not earth) but people keep referring to it as earth.
Your rubber tyres are not conductive.

The RCD or Residual Current Device in an AC circuit measures the difference in current between the active and the neutral and if these do not equal zero then there must be some going to earth or through a person potentially. This then trips the circuit.
So the 240VAC coming out of your inverter is connected on one side to 240V active and on the other side to the frame of your vehicle.
Not something your home handyman should play with.

Keep in mind also what the AC actually looks like and what you are hooking up to it.

1694915524974.png
1694915576758.png1694916001119.png1694916101648.png1694916137640.png

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:35 AM
Reaction score
A few options, but they protect from the socket to the appliance but don’t protect you from faults between the Inverter and socket. Although the second one may be useful if you shorten the lead between the safety switch and the inverter.

View attachment 7827054

View attachment 7827055
I have the top power point in my 200 series post inverter (the wiring is in conduit from the inverter to the GPO) as this is now a requirement under AU law from all reports

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you skydive during a thunderstorm do you need an earth wire?
Asking for a friend.
My son used to parachute into the ocean off Perth with the SAS guys
I said aren't you worried about the large quantity of sharks off WA beaches.
He said.
I am a Sargent.
I don't jump first.
we send out the hors d'oeuvres and the appetizers first.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Why parachute onto land when you can parachute into the ocean. Sounds like fun.
Presume he's into kiteboarding?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Why parachute onto land when you can parachute into the ocean. Sounds like fun.
Presume he's into kiteboarding?
He isn't into anything dangerous in his private life at all.
Doesn't need to be.
He used to be a gymnastics champion prior to joining the army 18 years ago.
He sent me videos doing a hand stand on the back of the ramp of a Hercules, doing a cartwheel through the herc and out the back.
Tying his shoelace while freefalling
Landing on the back of a fast moving vehicle.
Haho & Halo jumping.
He definitely didn't send me any footage of jumping with a wing suit as the army doesn't allow that.

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I must say I'm not a fan of running inverters in vehicles as they consume a lot of power when run off the battery.

So, my motto is if I can't power it from the battery, it stays at home. I recently purchased a USB C charger for cordless batteries which works really well. I use it to charge batteries for the cordless drill, blower and eventually, a small chainsaw.

There are options out there that don't require AC power. (now to work put how I'm going to power that coffee machine :unsure:)

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My son used to parachute into the ocean off Perth with the SAS guys
I said aren't you worried about the large quantity of sharks off WA beaches.
He said.
I am a Sargent.
I don't jump first.
we send out the hors d'oeuvres and the appetizers first.
Some sage advice received once. “ always keep a fat man between yourself and New Zealand (East Coast) when swimming in the ocean.” Unfortunately it tends to be the case that I am the fat man they keep between them and New Zealand.

Back
Top Bottom