The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Show us your Grens in the Wild West!

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:50 AM
Reaction score
Apologize if answered on separate post but which set of 4 roof rails are you sporting?
I plan to mount dual kayaks, storage bin, etc. but don't want to impede safari windows when not in use
Made it on the spot to carry a lot of family baggage from San Diego to Wyoming last December.
Four pieces of 3"x4", 1/4" wall, Aluminum angle + four 68" long Maxhaul cross bars. About $300 total. Mounts using the grab bars bolt holes (using all six top holes on each side).

jeffmattSD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Haven't had my Grenny out to Anza yet, but had my old Discovery there many times. Did you pass through the Squeeze and then on to descend Heart Attack Hill?
We went through a very tight trail leading to El Diablo. I do not think we wend down Heart Attach Hill. For most of the day, I was pretty lost becasue I am not familiar with Anza.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We went through a very tight trail leading to El Diablo. I do not think we wend down Heart Attach Hill. For most of the day, I was pretty lost becasue I am not familiar with Anza.
That tight trail was Sandstone Canyon; the climb is usually referred to as "Diablo Drop-off" - not sure about the articles. We entered Sandstone Canyon from Fish Creek, and exited from Diablo Drop-off via Canyon Sin Nombre (ironically labelled Canyon Nombre on GaiaGPS maps).

Speaking of the Squeeze - the widest full-body vehicle I've heard of going through was P38A. The length and height also matter, since the vehicle will lean to one side, and has to turn slightly going through the Squeeze. With Disco 1 and 2, we needed people sitting on the rock pushing the roof away from the rock face to get through.
My old fullsize Cherokee was 80" sidewall-to-sidewall; I drove it up against the entrance to the Squeeze and it was appreciably wider. A Grenadier is 76" wide; my guess for the Squeeze is absolutely no without substantial body damage. Keep in mind that after the Squeeze, you have to drive under an overhanging rock - which was about an inch away from the roof of 2" lifted Disco 1. After that, the Heart Attack Hill is no biggie.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
That tight trail was Sandstone Canyon; the climb is usually referred to as "Diablo Drop-off" - not sure about the articles. We entered Sandstone Canyon from Fish Creek, and exited from Diablo Drop-off via Canyon Sin Nombre (ironically labelled Canyon Nombre on GaiaGPS maps).

Speaking of the Squeeze - the widest full-body vehicle I've heard of going through was P38A. The length and height also matter, since the vehicle will lean to one side, and has to turn slightly going through the Squeeze. With Disco 1 and 2, we needed people sitting on the rock pushing the roof away from the rock face to get through.
My old fullsize Cherokee was 80" sidewall-to-sidewall; I drove it up against the entrance to the Squeeze and it was appreciably wider. A Grenadier is 76" wide; my guess for the Squeeze is absolutely no without substantial body damage. Keep in mind that after the Squeeze, you have to drive under an overhanging rock - which was about an inch away from the roof of 2" lifted Disco 1. After that, the Heart Attack Hill is no biggie.
Did it in my Disco 1. The body shop was my next stop.

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was never brave enough to take my 100 Series Land Cruiser through the squeeze. So I am definitely not risking the Gren. Lol. I am good with taking all of the many other trails in the park.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
While we're on the Anza Borego thing, here are some pics of me and my red Disco squeezing through and dropping down Heart Atack hill, in 1999.

jg8.jpg
jg5.jpg
jg3.jpg

jg6.jpg

And two of Coach about to descend. I literally had to go dig a hole and use it before that descent.
coach3.jpg
coach5.jpg

Attachments

• jg8.jpg
    jg8.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 3
  • jg6.jpg
    jg6.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:50 AM
Reaction score

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
But your Sprinter won't fit through.

Not with that attitude it won't. Just need a lil' speed and power.

Jeremy Clarkson Prime Video GIF by The Grand Tour

@pmatusov I'm gonna say that you are amongst kindred spirits here. I don't know if you have a family, and you likely wouldn't know that I do, because when I'm on a trip I'm spending most of the time snapping pics of my damn truck thinking "Gosh, it looks great near that river", or "Oh man that looks amazing with that mountain backdrop". Meanwhile my mom and dad - "Any pictures of our grandson on your trip?" followed by me saying "Uhh...yeah I'm sure Teryn [my wife] has tons!" :D

Great photos everyone - truly showing that West is Best (But don't tell Krabby I said that, he will rally the East Coasters to armed combat ;) )

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@pmatusov I'm gonna say that you are amongst kindred spirits here. I don't know if you have a family, and you likely wouldn't know that I do, because when I'm on a trip I'm spending most of the time snapping pics of my damn truck thinking "Gosh, it looks great near that river", or "Oh man that looks amazing with that mountain backdrop". Meanwhile my mom and dad - "Any pictures of our grandson on your trip?" followed by me saying "Uhh...yeah I'm sure Teryn [my wife] has tons!" :D

Great photos everyone - truly showing that West is Best (But don't tell Krabby I said that, he will rally the East Coasters to armed combat ;) )
I sure do have a family :)
... But kids tend to lose interest in this stuff about a year after they get their driver's licenses. Now it's time to corrupt the grandkids.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Not with that attitude it won't. Just need a lil' speed and power.

Jeremy Clarkson Prime Video GIF by The Grand Tour

I don't understand what your reply means or what that video is supposed to mean.

Back
Top Bottom