The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Servicing

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:28 AM
Reaction score
25,000 kms between services seems crazy high to me.
I am not saying "25000 km" between services, but to set the computer to this number so that the maintenance warning pops up much later. Now I drove one month with a continuous warning, highly disturbing.

Mauro

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
I am not saying "25000 km" between services, but to set the computer to this number so that the maintenance warning pops up much later. Now I drove one month with a continuous warning, highly disturbing.
Same thing happened to me... -22 days. It is impossible to book a service with the dealer. It is even impossible to talk with mechanics.
For me is simply incredible!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
I will never do it but good to know I could if I wanted
"And if" a major fault occurs later and we owner's personally did the service... good luck fighting a true warranty claim. If I'm IA - you did it wrong even if you have a parts receipt. I dunno - but I'm not convinced.

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me... -22 days. It is impossible to book a service with the dealer. It is even impossible to talk with mechanics.
For me is simply incredible!

Hi Mauro, which workshop do you go to for maintenance?

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
Having a locked in nanny mode for maintenance is contrary to original purpose.
Hopefully, it can be turned off after the warranty expires.
I live 12 hrs from the nearest dealer. How often do they think I'm coming back?
No dipstick is going to be a disaster.
I have a Jag with that. Caused previous owner a smoked engine when the sensor failed.
And BMW has had oil consumption arguments in the past. Mostly over what is considered reasonable consumption.

So, it's easy for me to be anxious about oil level accuracy, and service interval.
On our trucks, we just do them all quarterly. And keep a log. Any trucks showing consumption are red flagged.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have a Jag with that. Caused previous owner a smoked engine when the sensor failed.
And BMW has had oil consumption arguments in the past. Mostly over what is considered reasonable consumption.

So, it's easy for me to be anxious about oil level accuracy, and service interval.
On our trucks, we just do them all quarterly. And keep a log. Any trucks showing consumption are red flagged.
Yes, that "nanny" mode is highly frustrating, and interesting to hear that BMW motor could have an oil consumption problem. I was surprised yesterday that the oil test showed that I have to pour 1 liter!

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, that "nanny" mode is highly frustrating, and interesting to hear that BMW motor could have an oil consumption problem. I was surprised yesterday that the oil test showed that I have to pour 1 liter!
There is an agreed upon consumption rate set by a settlement here in US for a number of car brands. What was happening was a customer would lodge a complaint about oil consumption, and the MFG would say that it is within specification, so no relief for you.
I can work with some consumption, but now that engines use 0wt oil in some cases, no dipstick, and reliance on a sensor is worrisome.
I will retro fit a dipstick if there is a boss on the casting.
I'm driving a car that had engine failure due to electronic monitoring.
There had to have been a strong back and forth argument about that during powertrain negotiations.

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
sorry but I don't understand. the on-board computer indicates that the service expires in 2 days.
what happens after two days? a signal when starting the engine as a reminder or something else? what is nanny mode?
thanks

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
sorry but I don't understand. the on-board computer indicates that the service expires in 2 days.
what happens after two days? a signal when starting the engine as a reminder or something else? what is nanny mode?
thanks
In my case it is "overdue", therefore "-2 days", no problem at all, I can drive.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score

You can always service a vehicle more often than the minimum service intervals.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
You can always service a vehicle more often than the minimum service intervals.
I haven't read the manual yet, but service interval is a function of all kinds of thing.
Dusty desert? Mall crawler? Trailer towing?
Obviously oil centers want 3000 miles, and my Silverado's allow for 7500 if used for light duty or with synthetic oils.
Will be fun learning the new vehicles service quirks.
I have a Jeep that needed the differentials and transfer case flushed and changed at 75000 miles. They said the friction agents in the diff lube would wear out and effect the clutch packs.
The new lube from the dealer balonied all the seals, and they had to replace all 4 axle seals, and the transfer case seals because the new lube was incompatible with the old seals.
Never noticed any difference in diff performance either.

Looking forward to learning the service needs of the Grenadier.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In the manual there is is a QR code for the service intervals, and ...

When you use the link of the QR code ...

It sends you back to the manual :eek: :cautious::devilish::eek: ...

Ineos Automotive at its best 👌

A 🐍 biting its own tail 😬

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
I haven't read the manual yet, but service interval is a function of all kinds of thing.
Dusty desert? Mall crawler? Trailer towing?
Obviously oil centers want 3000 miles, and my Silverado's allow for 7500 if used for light duty or with synthetic oils.
Will be fun learning the new vehicles service quirks.
I have a Jeep that needed the differentials and transfer case flushed and changed at 75000 miles. They said the friction agents in the diff lube would wear out and effect the clutch packs.
The new lube from the dealer balonied all the seals, and they had to replace all 4 axle seals, and the transfer case seals because the new lube was incompatible with the old seals.
Never noticed any difference in diff performance either.

Looking forward to learning the service needs of the Grenadier.
I knew someone about 20 years ago that said his car was so good that it didn't need regular servicing it just ran smoothly for years.
I didn't say anything but in my head I sure thought a lot of things.

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Today I called my dealer, because of this:
View attachment 7827942
See the "overdue" and the "refill".

And also because of this:
View attachment 7827943

Ooh, I still can drive 714 km while "2 days" overdue, ... hmmmm :unsure:

[EDITED]I have less than 15000 km on the ODO reader.

Therefore I called my dealer to ask for a service appointment, and what did he say:

"The maintenance schedule is 20000 km, so you can wait, unless you are doing mainly off road, then it is 7500 km!"
"If you you want, you wait for the 20000 km, otherwise we reset your computer to 20000 km to avoid the warning"
I told them to reset the computer, but perhaps was too fast, I did some off road, probably less than 100km.
And the "infotainment warning" pops up that soon that perhaps they should reset it to 25000 km maintenance schedule to be able to drive without warning!

Hmmmm, not happy with my dealer, they don't know anything about 4x4 cars!

Not happy with Ineos either: they don't inform correctly the dealers I guess!

[edited] and concerning the oil level check ...

The oil level check should be performed this way:
  • Vehicle must be stationary
  • On even level
  • Transmission in N or P
  • Accelerator pedal not depressed
  • And motor "running" (not shown in the instructions!)

These instructions should also be shown also on other screen warnings, like when the motor isn't running:

Why doesn't Ineos just say:

The check can't be performed. Oil level check should be performed this way:
  • Vehicle must be stationary
  • On even level
  • Transmission in N or P
  • Accelerator pedal not depressed
  • And motor "running" (not shown in the instructions!)
"Check vehicle conditions" is not informative enough!
Jean, after reading your post, today I tried for the first time to check the oil level, and the display asked me exactly the conditions that you explained above...
BTW after 5600 km the level reads ok without any refill...

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
After months of begging, and asking over and over again, I got yesterday a pdf with my Service Interval for my Petrol Grenadier.

Some days before my scheduled service I got an e-mail where it was written "attached you Service Interval", but the dealer forgot to attach it.
About one week ago they did send me a bad scan, with uncomplete and wrong information AFTER my maintenance had been performed and after insisting a lot that I wanted the blank form:
Screenshot 2024-01-12 190257.png
Numberplate NOT informed, mileage completely wrong ...
After insisting I got finally the pdf with a Watermark included: "VOORBEELD" in Dutch, but the form in English, therefore my dealer did put the watermark in the pdf. Why? I don't understand their motivation.

I removed the watermark 👿
Document attached, perhaps @Stu_Barnes can place this in the resources?

Attachments

• EU Petrol Schedule 20000 KM 12 Months W.pdf
    238.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Earthwatcher

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
Just booked my diesel Fieldmaster in for it's annual service - £665.55. Seems a bit steep, it's only done 3,500 miles! Might check with my local garage for the next one. Has anyone else used a none INEOS agency, ie local garage, for servicing? The local guys always serviced my old Porsche and they were very good.

Back
Top Bottom