The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Scottish White = Limestone?

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:06 PM
Reaction score
I live in Aberdeen and white generally means white around here, but the 'Scottish White' shown on the Grenadier configurator is more of a chalky white or cream, a bit like the 'Limestone' colour you see on vintage LR SII's and SIII's.

The Grenadier in one of the most recent Final Mile videos featuring George Russell (and a number of authentic camels for good measure) seems to be a similar colour to that shown in the configurator. I don't think it's subject to a 'Magic Mushroom' flavour paint job as I perceive this to be more of a sand/beige colour in which case the desert and George himself are head to toe in the stuff and contrast nicely to the Grenadier which is more of a Lawrence of Arabia shade.

Do you think it's safe to assume that Scottish White is in fact closer to an antique white/cream rather than a straight up diamond white? I present exhibits A, B and C to illustrate my point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwtF74Vne60&ab_channel=INEOSGrenadier

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure, the other white Grenadiers about look very... white

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Spjnr said:
I'm not sure, the other white Grenadiers about look very... white

I know, they're basically snow white.

So if the snow in this picture is Grenadier white, what shade/colour is the Grenadier? ?

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:06 PM
Reaction score
Looking at your exhibits, I wouldn’t say that the colour is a diamond white, which I always envisage as a very pure white (what ever that is). I would agree it looks like more of an off white or old English white ?

I don’t think I have seen a white one in the flesh, just blue and silver if I remember rightly. 
The real problem is that the colour will look different depending what laptop, phone or different device you are viewing it on.  They are give their own interpretation of the colour.   

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:06 AM
Reaction score
Since the viewing device does make a difference in color rendering, a single image of the cars in each color would at least help show the relative differences (for example, “White”parked next to “Mushroom”).

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:06 AM
Reaction score
G-Man,

The prototype (from June 2021) I rode in (in October 21) was white with a red nose. It was not the mushroom.

I looked at it pretty closely and it's certainly quite a creamy white colour.

I drove out to the INEOS event in my arctic white BMW - and the colour difference between the two was significant. 

Actually I think the Grenadier white colour looks almost exactly the same as my 1983 G Wagon 230 GE, which is called "Creamy white" code RAL 9001; (still original paint).

(both from the Magna Steyr factory just 38 years of difference!)

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Mark Evans  grenadierboy userid=8954799 postid=1332714904]G-Man,

Actually I think the Grenadier white colour looks almost exactly the same as my 1983 G Wagon 230 GE, which is called "Creamy white" code RAL 9001; (still original paint).

[/QUOTE]

Cheers Mark, that makes a lot of sense. I've actually ordered mine in the white and am quietly hoping that it is actually the limestone/cream colour as opposed to ice white as this'll add a bit of character to the vehicle. If it's a standard RAL colour then that's a nice touch, certainly in keeping with Ineos' strategy of keeping things simple.

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Mark Evans  grenadierboy userid=8954799 postid=1332716277].........and why not Mushroom?[/QUOTE]

No offence to anyone who likes that shade, but it's just a bit too 'Desert Storm' for my taste. I think it's edging Humvee territory in that colour which'll no doubt float a lot of people's boats but not mine ?

YMMV 

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Having gone back and configured a white fieldmaster with a black roof and tinted windows I can say my initial thought was why the hell didn’t I order that ? 

A bit of a difference to the trialmaster in full Donny grey that I have ordered. I did want the black roof but decided that as the price just kept rising I would actually explore a black wrap on the roof at a later date for a lot less money.  The wrap will also act as protection for the original paint. 

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Shaky said:
Having gone back and configured a white fieldmaster with a black roof and tinted windows I can say my initial thought was why the hell didn’t I order that ? 

Yeah same, I initially had my vehicle configured white with a black roof in a Star Wars Stormtrooper style but couldn't justify the £915 price tag for a few square feet of paint. So I just opted for plain white in the end knowing I could get it wrapped for less. TBH there are enough black features on the vehicle to contrast with a single colour scheme to make it look good anyway, at least that's what I've convinced myself ?

equismorio

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I'm suspicious of the accuracy of the colors on site.  Also a color scheme on my browser, depending what I am using whether it is Edge, Firefox, or Chrome, is never the same as the actual one.  So I will not trust it too much.

Having said that, I'm leaning towards the light blue and sterling silver...

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=G-Man userid=8989993 postid=1332716765]

No offence to anyone who likes that shade, but it's just a bit too 'Desert Storm' for my taste. I think it's edging Humvee territory in that colour which'll no doubt float a lot of people's boats but not mine ?

YMMV [/QUOTE]

Davman-

The black roof is kinda funky, gives it a sporty look & lowers side on profile but, on balance the car looks a bit too busy, less clean and here in Australia summer temps don't help.

For body colour - the problem is I really like both but, the White I saw on the prototype I was in isn't quite creamy enough & mushroom on my laptop seems to have a pinky hue.

Spent hours trying to decide - every angle of the configurator, each background wallpaper, every Youtube video etc. I am now seeing hues & shades were they probably don't exist. Everyone's been involved - wife, kids, friends.

Order is with Mushroom but time to finally decide and maybe change to white.

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Mark we lived in Perth WA for 6 years and a white vehicle makes perfect sense! Less load on the aircon and the car is a reasonable temperature when you get in. I always thought the Aussies in black cars were insane, particularly the ‘Bogans’ who had painted their Ute matt black!

Here”s my pride and joy that I had to leave behind when we returned to Scotland ? The guy I sold it to keeps messaging me to tell me how much it’s gone up in value ?

Attachments

• 147E6E38-FF1C-4303-9A4B-31D38A679637.jpeg
    147E6E38-FF1C-4303-9A4B-31D38A679637.jpeg
    520.4 KB · Views: 51
Local time
Reaction score
As noted earlier in the thread - wrapping the roof is good for protecting the paint. I like the load bearing roof and side rails feature on this car.  I'll be loading surf equipment directly on the roof (in bags, but still can be scratchy) so plan to wrap it.

Local time
Reaction score
On the topic of light vs dark colours - bush scratches show up less on white - another reason to go light here in WA, or anywhere you're likely to be squeezing past bush/ trees really.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am undecided between just getting a ceramic coat or a clear wrap on the entire vehicle.   

Attachments

• Top.png
    Top.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 45

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Mark Evans  grenadierboy userid=8954799 postid=1332728242]DaveB,

I have seen both - ceramic on the wrap[/QUOTE]
I was just researching it and that seems to be the best advice.
Apply paint protection film (PPF) to the areas likely to get stone chips or scratches and then ceramic coat the whole car.
So leading edge of the bonnet, around the grill area and all the side panels up to the shoulder.
There goes another $5,000 or more 

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I read that even a good quality wrap only lasts 5 years due to UV degradation. Is that right?

Back
Top Bottom