The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Safety Systems

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:31 AM
Reaction score
Hm @AnD3rew to me that is sufficent, as well as the parking aids and rear cam..
Serious - in my Disco there is a pedestrians airbag outside, - bend / turn light, dead ankle indicators, - rear cross traffic detector when reversing, radar / distance with cruisecontrol and "keep in lane" function either vibrating the steering wheel or active..

Some of these capabilities I ve switched off. - Sometimes its really nasty - when lane control is active on narrow roads. - Radar - and AEB - in certain conditions they re just annoying (e.g. snowy or foggy conditions I get the message blocked.. by weather conditions. - So anyway - that are assistants.. not more.
It is still drivers responsibility on operational conditions. So what is built in in IG is sufficent. - Most of the technology is intended for motorway and perhaps higher speeds use and of course downtown / city traffic. If I am on motorways / autobahn.. thats max 160km/h 100mph The reality - on German Autobahns w/o fixed speedlimit - there is often and in most cases so much traffic - a real speed / and average speed ist rarely above 140km/h peak for a longer time or to achieve 100km/h in average. The times and areas where you put the accelerator pedal on full.. became scarce. (Yes there are times when it is still possible .. but an IG is not meant to go 120mph /200kmh or faster) Fastest I ever went myself was 242km/h indicated with a Mercedes S-Class on a motorway - 2 minutes.. there was the next HGV Truck on the passing lange and I had to slow down to 53mph / a bit above 80km/h - wtf I thought.. .. do I need this stress and adrenaline? - I am not a Formula 1 race track driver.

So @emax is right.. it is supporting on motorway and high speed.. but on lower / cruising speed it might some "addition" for peace of mind and to cover for human failure. - On the opposite: Each sensor adds up to cost of ownership, may fail and cause issues (and so driver must cover up, and the sensors do not remove responsibility for driving action and decision. So still eyes and ears are still natural sensors most important.

I am glad IG has not all the gadgets.. If in the future some demand on this exists perhaps put it on the options package or after market. There already some dash cams available to have some of this capability ..

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:31 AM
Reaction score
Don't forget that Greg Clark has said 2023 (?) US models will come with AEB and Lane Assist. So it might just be everyone gets it.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@DCPU afaik - according to EU regulation there must be some sensor installed that recognizes traffic signs - speed signs in particular and "do not pass" ..
I dislike being bossed around or treated as a child..
Perhaps AEB and lane assist will come anyway...

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes ~ there's a thread on here somewhere about that and whether Ineos beat the type approval deadline to have to have it.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:31 PM
Reaction score
I have lost track of how many times I have been a passenger in a vehicle where the driver seems to be not aware of what they are doing.
I have said
  • Watch out for the emu on the left
  • should you slow for the cattle grate coming up?
  • That’s a bad crash up front
  • Children playing on the right
  • Good chance Roo‘s in this area
To find the driver wasn’t even thinking about these things

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have lost track of how many times I have been a passenger in a vehicle where the driver seems to be not aware of what they are doing.
I have said
  • Watch out for the emu on the left
  • should you slow for the cattle grate coming up?
  • That’s a bad crash up front
  • Children playing on the right
  • Good chance Roo‘s in this area
To find the driver wasn’t even thinking about these things
Dave indeed.. this however is another sensor.. a human copilot. Any of the situations you mentioned can only be detected by the human sensor.
perhaps in the future some AI techniques (artificial intelligence) may assist.. but this requires deep learning and training
or permanent connection to interne.. Something that I do not want most certainly

Local time
Reaction score
Meanwhile, here in the United States... a section of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, which passed Congress in December 2021 and has since become law, gave the federal government three years to establish a rule that would require new cars to be “equipped with advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology.” Here is a link to a fact-checking article on the topic.

I've read the relevant text of the law, and this article is accurate in its assessment, though I think the tone of the article is a little sympathetic to the new law. For example, the article lists the following three criteria of the new system:

1. Passively monitor the performance of a driver to accurately identify whether they are impaired.
2. Prevent or limit operation if impairment is detected.
3. “Passively” detect whether the BAC of a driver is equal to or higher than the legal limit. In such cases, the system could “prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if an impairment is detected.”

But the author of the article rejects the term "kill switch" in reference to the second of these requirements. This seems, in part, a debate over semantics, as "preventing or limiting operation" of the vehicle is potentially a "kill switch" - but it is also clear that the use of the term "kill switch" is intentionally inflammatory, and is being used by people opposed to the new law.

It is not clear if law enforcement would be able to remotely access this feature, but obviously, there is that potential, as there is the potential for hackers to access it, or for it to malfunction.

It seems like the law passed without there being a public debate over privacy / safety / government regulation, etc.

Full text of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (you can find the relevant section by searching for "drunk"):

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
the use of the term "kill switch" is intentionally inflammatory
So call it "shutdown mechanism".
But what is a shutdown mechanism?

A shutdown mechanism is a kill switch.

Local time
Reaction score
So call it "shutdown mechanism".
But what is a shutdown mechanism?

A shutdown mechanism is a kill switch.
I agree. I'm appalled by this new law, but wanted to present it as neutrally as possible - let people read the info (if they want) and decide for themselves. I also cannot understand why there is not more debate about it. It strikes me as a massive government over-reach into people's lives.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Meanwhile, here in the United States... a section of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, which passed Congress in December 2021 and has since become law, gave the federal government three years to establish a rule that would require new cars to be “equipped with advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology.” Here is a link to a fact-checking article on the topic.

I've read the relevant text of the law, and this article is accurate in its assessment, though I think the tone of the article is a little sympathetic to the new law. For example, the article lists the following three criteria of the new system:

1. Passively monitor the performance of a driver to accurately identify whether they are impaired.
2. Prevent or limit operation if impairment is detected.
3. “Passively” detect whether the BAC of a driver is equal to or higher than the legal limit. In such cases, the system could “prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if an impairment is detected.”

But the author of the article rejects the term "kill switch" in reference to the second of these requirements. This seems, in part, a debate over semantics, as "preventing or limiting operation" of the vehicle is potentially a "kill switch" - but it is also clear that the use of the term "kill switch" is intentionally inflammatory, and is being used by people opposed to the new law.

It is not clear if law enforcement would be able to remotely access this feature, but obviously, there is that potential, as there is the potential for hackers to access it, or for it to malfunction.

It seems like the law passed without there being a public debate over privacy / safety / government regulation, etc.

Full text of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (you can find the relevant section by searching for "drunk"):
I always laugh when we see video's or shows from the US where cops perform roadside sobriety tests and make people count backwards and stand on one leg etc.
Surely these don't still happen in real life.

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I want to drive the car. I don´t want that "the car drives me".
I want to see the road - and give my whole attention to it. I don´t want to give my attention to one thousand gimmicks and features and displays.

In my old toyota I haven´t ABS, and I don´t miss it. But I can play with the heater or the air condition WITHOUT taking my view from the road away.
I want to drive the car. I want to see the road. I don´t want to take my view and my concentration from the road away.

IF YOU WANT A CAR AS A TOY - THEN BUY A TOY. But play, while you aren´t driving. PLEASE. There are people outside, there are children. IF YOU ARE DRIVING - DRIVE - ONLY DRIVE - be concentrated to the road - nothing else.

AND ENJOY.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The first person caught using a cell phone/Twitter/Whatsapp blah blah while driving should immediately have their license taken away for a year.

That's a much better way to protect people from accidents.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The first person caught using a cell phone/Twitter/Whatsapp blah blah while driving should immediately have their license taken away for a year.

That's a much better way to protect people from accidents.
Illegal here even to touch it and also the front passenger can't be using a device with a screen that the driver could see. iPad, laptop

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I want to drive the car. I don´t want that "the car drives me".
I want to see the road - and give my whole attention to it. I don´t want to give my attention to one thousand gimmicks and features and displays.

In my old toyota I haven´t ABS, and I don´t miss it. But I can play with the heater or the air condition WITHOUT taking my view from the road away.
I want to drive the car. I want to see the road. I don´t want to take my view and my concentration from the road away.

IF YOU WANT A CAR AS A TOY - THEN BUY A TOY. But play, while you aren´t driving. PLEASE. There are people outside, there are children. IF YOU ARE DRIVING - DRIVE - ONLY DRIVE - be concentrated to the road - nothing else.

AND ENJOY.
One of my (younger) friends is a good driver, no accidents so far, but a huge amount of speeding fines. Had to explain himself several times in front of the Judge, and finally lost his license, and had to follow a psychological "reconversion" course. He told me "I don't understand, they only were speaking about alcohol, not about speed". He got his licence back but adapted his "speed", because next time he could loose his licence forever.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Illegal here even to touch it and also the front passenger can't be using a device with a screen that the driver could see. iPad, laptop
Same in Germany.

But 80 euros fine is a joke. I'm no friend of restrictive regulation. But the cell phones in traffic are a plague and should be fought much more consistently. Playing with a mobile phone at 30 meters / second is a crime, imho.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom