The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas safari windows and roof rack...

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
While pre-ordering the grenadier, I noticed that the 3/4 roof rack was assembled at the factory (no * next to the option) and the full length roof rack and cross bars are dealer assembled accessories. I wonder why?
I feel like that may be an inaccuracy in the configurator...

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
I feel like that may be an inaccuracy in the configurator...
Interesting. But if you configured the vehicle with the "factory-installed" 3/ rack and it comes without being installed, can the dealer charge you? I'm gonna fight to have Ineos NA pay for the install of mine!!!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting. But if you configured the vehicle with the "factory-installed" 3/ rack and it comes without being installed, can the dealer charge you? I'm gonna fight to have Ineos NA pay for the install of mine!!!
I really feel like there are a lot of people who are worrying entirely too much about the potential of installation prices for accessories on a $70k+ vehicle.

Wouldn't it be much better to be stressed, worried, or even bothered by these kinds of things if they are actually added on? Or, realize how insignificant of a difference it would make even if a dealer did charge for the install? $200 in potential labor added to an $80,000 vehicle is 0.25% of the purchase price

Ingemar

Grenadier Owner
Hard Way Home Winner
Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
Yes, looks good and solid, and great concept. (y)

However, @Ingemar, you will likely know that In this forum there have been and still are a lot of discussions and concerns about the long time impact of the roof rack load on the gutter. @das mo has tried a lot to find a good solution, but of course other ideas are always welcome.

So I (and I'm sure others as well) would very much appreciate if you would show all the details and close ups of the gutter mounting brackets. 🙏

we also realised, especially after adding the roof top tent, that the gutter is slightly bending. this happened at position 3 and 4. Am also keeping an eye on that and will check the longterm effect. the brackets are actually sitting close to the car and are quite wide (16cm) to distribute the weight better.
the exact weight of the rack in it's different versions (with or with our plates, there might be a shorter version as well) should follow later today. pricing is figured out by HGM shortly...

Ingemar

Grenadier Owner
Hard Way Home Winner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm very confused by multiple Euro rack companies going to these "plate" designs instead of just open crossbars. How do you wash the roof? What if you are adapting universal components to the rack?

Additionally, and this is a personal gripe as well, the fact that they are using generic extruded aluminum crossbars kills it for me; this is the trend that has created dozens of rack manufacturers in the Toyota/Lexus/Van world over the past 2-3 years. After creating an entire interior in our Sprinter out of 1.5"x1.5" extruded aluminum myself, I understand its benefits (and very low cost), but there is inevitably a good bit of flex in the crossbars when spanning the width of a roof and having a midline load. A good friend that owns an aftermarket shop explains it very simply to his customers, "if you want a rack for looks, get the <extruded aluminum brand>, if you want a rack to actually carry stuff get the <purpose built steel brand>"
i like the plate design especially because i want to be able walk/sit on my roof as well. but of course tastes and requirements are different, therefore the rack is offered without the plates as well!!

SUBVET735705769

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have pre-ordered the safari windows but do not like the look of the short rack. My current rack is an original FrontRunner rack which came in one piece. I believe the new ones are assembled. So, I intend to order a full size FrontRunner rack but not install the front three cross rails. The front mounts should still provide sufficient rigidity for the frame, while leaving the SW clear for removal. I already have many of the FrontRunner accessories, including the front light bar. I want this light over the windshield, not 3' back on the roof.

Ingemar

Grenadier Owner
Hard Way Home Winner
Local time
Reaction score
now i got the figures:
  • the weight of the basic version is 47kg/103lbs
  • full version with the cover plates is 78kg/172lbs
  • there will be a shorter version as well (not covering the safari windows/front area), which will be less of course....

Reactions: PBD
Local time
Reaction score
I really feel like there are a lot of people who are worrying entirely too much about the potential of installation prices for accessories on a $70k+ vehicle.

Wouldn't it be much better to be stressed, worried, or even bothered by these kinds of things if they are actually added on? Or, realize how insignificant of a difference it would make even if a dealer did charge for the install? $200 in potential labor added to an $80,000 vehicle is 0.25% of the purchase price
If you order factory installed option from most of car companies, they don’t charge you installation fee. Assuming they would charge $200, we are paying 20000% more, if I say free as $0.01 (although it should be $0). Of course this a joke!

But I don’t agree that paying $200 more is nothing even if I buy $100K+ vehicle. I would still try to save every $.

Reactions: CB

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you order factory installed option from most of car companies, they don’t charge you installation fee. Assuming they would charge $200, we are paying 20000% more, if I say free as $0.01 (although it should be $0). Of course this a joke!

But I don’t agree that paying $200 more is nothing even if I buy $100K+ vehicle. I would still try to save every $.

There's no installation charge on any factory installed option on the Grenadier. It's for dealer installed accessories. And sure, if you order floor mats, no car company charges you for installation, but if you order a dealer installed roof rack for a Toyota Tacoma, or the TRD exhaust for a 4Runner, the dealer will end up charging you for that installation because one of their technicians is spending time installing it.

We also have no confirmation at this time that there will be an upcharge for any accessory, it's all been hypothetical; just like people worrying about having to pay over MSRP

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
There's no installation charge on any factory installed option on the Grenadier. It's for dealer installed accessories. And sure, if you order floor mats, no car company charges you for installation, but if you order a dealer installed roof rack for a Toyota Tacoma, or the TRD exhaust for a 4Runner, the dealer will end up charging you for that installation because one of their technicians is spending time installing it.

We also have no confirmation at this time that there will be an upcharge for any accessory, it's all been hypothetical; just like people worrying about having to pay over MSRP
There is no additional installation charge on any of the genuine accessories in Australia.
Unless you want something in addition to the standard install

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:00 PM
Reaction score
My want was a Roof Rack - probably the Black Sheep version. But in low life Britain, where if the cargo is not screwed down it's not safe from sticky fingers. I will not purchase, unless you could electrify it! :)

To be honest, I don't like even leaving my car in public places anymore, best I not expand why...

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:00 PM
Reaction score
My want was a Roof Rack - probably the Black Sheep version. But in low life Britain, where if the cargo is not screwed down it's not safe from sticky fingers. I will not purchase, unless you could electrify it! :)

To be honest, I don't like even leaving my car in public places anymore, best I not expand why...
Yes I was at the Landrover show in Peterborough three or four years back and some had their roof rack stolen along with everything that was fitted to it 😳

explorersoverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A few months ago I drove past HGM-Rack where they installed their updated roof rack. There is currently a roof tent, solar panel, shower and awning on top and I can confirm that the bending problem has been solved by using wider brackets.

I am very satisfied with the quality and even the logo in the bracket is spray-painted with the color of the car.

Here are some pictures of just the rack.

Attachments

• IMG_0371.JPG
    IMG_0371.JPG
    339.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0373.JPG
    IMG_0373.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    652.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    447.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    364 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0374.JPG
    IMG_0374.JPG
    376.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0370.JPG
    IMG_0370.JPG
    447.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 118

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:00 AM
Reaction score
A few months ago I drove past HGM-Rack where they installed their updated roof rack. There is currently a roof tent, solar panel, shower and awning on top and I can confirm that the bending problem has been solved by using wider brackets.

I am very satisfied with the quality and even the logo in the bracket is spray-painted with the color of the car.

Here are some pictures of just the rack.
Hi exploresoverland, How far above the rubber or plastic roof strips does the highest part of the rack extend. Reason I am asking is that I have limited garage header clearance. If you could take a level out and a tape measure and take the distance from the top of the plastic strip to the highest part of the top fo the rack, I would be very much appreciate it. Also, do you know if they make a 3/4 rack? DaBull

explorersoverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi exploresoverland, How far above the rubber or plastic roof strips does the highest part of the rack extend. Reason I am asking is that I have limited garage header clearance. If you could take a level out and a tape measure and take the distance from the top of the plastic strip to the highest part of the top fo the rack, I would be very much appreciate it. Also, do you know if they make a 3/4 rack? DaBull
Of course, I'll do it tomorrow morning. Currently in the tent in rainy Hamburg 🙃

Yes, they do make a 3/4 rack also.

Korg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:00 AM
Reaction score

Karearea

Production/Transit
Local time
5:00 AM
Reaction score
Anyone quickly know how to amend my build order?
My dealer has said it’s easy for me to do by logging in to the Ineos site but so far I haven’t managed to find any option tab to achieve this.
Thanks in advance 👍🏼

explorersoverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do you mean this measurement?
21.4 cm
IMG_0380.jpeg

Edit: If you mean the strips on top of the roof then it is 4.7 cm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom