The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas safari windows and roof rack...

Local time
7:12 AM
Reaction score
I was told at the test drive one could not order the safari windows and roof rack, but the configurator seems to permit me to do so. Did anyone else hear this?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The full length roof rack covers the SWs whereas the 3/4 (6') rack stop short of them. You can configure the full length rack with the SW but will not be able to fully open (or remove) them I believe.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
I prefer the look of the full length rack but if I were to put a rack on a truck with the safari windows I'd get the shorter one.

Local time
Reaction score
Actually, on my lx470 a couple decades ago, I put an African Outback full length rack on it, and kept the cover the sky light open. It let in "shaded" light and it felt much more open. Prior to that I never had it open because of the sun. Even tinted it was too direct. I don't necessarily want them open as much as the sensation of open. I'm 6'-4". Roofs tend to be close to my noggin'.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Actually, on my lx470 a couple decades ago, I put an African Outback full length rack on it, and kept the cover the sky light open. It let in "shaded" light and it felt much more open. Prior to that I never had it open because of the sun. Even tinted it was too direct. I don't necessarily want them open as much as the sensation of open. I'm 6'-4". Roofs tend to be close to my noggin'.
I’m 6’4” as well, so on my test drive I specifically chose a Green without SW’s (that also had the roof rack). Plenty of headroom and a very open feeling. My pre-order does not have SW’s.

Local time
Reaction score
I’m 6’4” as well, so on my test drive I specifically chose a Green without SW’s (that also had the roof rack). Plenty of headroom and a very open feeling. My pre-order does not have SW’s.
I was told this was my design and shezimm had nothing to do with it... at all... but... she let me know she likes the Louboutin sole color of the red frame and the skylights. It reminds of last year, when it was my turn to pick dogs, and the two trained german line dobermans intended to sleep by the doors every night were negotiated down to two rescue half breed dachshunds that revel in dragging their empty teabags over my face every morning at 5am, and an updated camera system.

I.e. the question has been rendered moot.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was told this was my design and shezimm had nothing to do with it...
I was given similar, unobstructed instructions. And while I did consult SWMBO, I received no input beyond "don't get the winch" (which I had already crossed off my list). I was even given the green light on a new fridge, so expected payback will be many road-trip expectations. So, a win-win!

Local time
Reaction score
What kind of fridge?
Funny, I had that discussion two years ago... Her: SubZero... ME: 38 deg is 38 deg, who the hell gives a shit what a refigerator looks like?... The panels on the SubZero match the rest of the cabinets quit nicely, I should say.

Local time
Reaction score
Yes, the million dollar question! Research has not yet begun. My first step will be figuring out how and where to install it.
I have a national luna 55 and a 50yo engle 30ish. I would say that depends upon if youre going to have a bi-level platform and a slide. I typically default to the little one.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is a lot to think about, for a vehicle 6+ months away, likely arriving during the Winter. I will probably wait and see what rear storage options materialize. I do think a slide of some sort will be needed to simplify access.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:12 PM
Reaction score
Yes, looks good and solid, and great concept. (y)

However, @Ingemar, you will likely know that In this forum there have been and still are a lot of discussions and concerns about the long time impact of the roof rack load on the gutter. @das mo has tried a lot to find a good solution, but of course other ideas are always welcome.

So I (and I'm sure others as well) would very much appreciate if you would show all the details and close ups of the gutter mounting brackets. 🙏

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm very confused by multiple Euro rack companies going to these "plate" designs instead of just open crossbars. How do you wash the roof? What if you are adapting universal components to the rack?

Additionally, and this is a personal gripe as well, the fact that they are using generic extruded aluminum crossbars kills it for me; this is the trend that has created dozens of rack manufacturers in the Toyota/Lexus/Van world over the past 2-3 years. After creating an entire interior in our Sprinter out of 1.5"x1.5" extruded aluminum myself, I understand its benefits (and very low cost), but there is inevitably a good bit of flex in the crossbars when spanning the width of a roof and having a midline load. A good friend that owns an aftermarket shop explains it very simply to his customers, "if you want a rack for looks, get the <extruded aluminum brand>, if you want a rack to actually carry stuff get the <purpose built steel brand>"

LCT

Production/Transit
Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
While pre-ordering the grenadier, I noticed that the 3/4 roof rack was assembled at the factory (no * next to the option) and the full length roof rack and cross bars are dealer assembled accessories. I wonder why?

Back
Top Bottom