The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Roll Over angle

Local time
7:15 AM
Reaction score
One important 4wd angle that I could not find anywhere listed is the "roll over" angle, I did find one reference to it in one of the South African "test drive" days when driving at a 20 degree side-slope one of the passengers asked the Ineos driver what the roll over angle was expecting something like "45". The driver said no it was 38.  (24) INEOS GRENADIER I We Drive "init" - YouTube (21:50 in). That, I think, is a relatively low number on par with a 70 series Troopy  Carrier (*) which is (a bit) taller but significantly narrower; and this was related to an earlier version which had a narrower (front) track than the current Australian V8 version. 

(*) If remembering correctly from an Australian police report I found on-line on roll overs 10 or more year ago.

That started me thinking and I can remember at the West Australia test drive day that the driver said that the engine was sitting very high, which was mentioned in context of some positive attribute like things out of the way, drive shaft angle, or something.

Obviously the engine is quite a heavy thing so the higher the engine sits the lower the roll over angle. I am not overly concerned but I would have felt more secure if it had been 45 degree or something.

Anyone knows more about this?.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:15 AM
Reaction score
Interesting. I would also like to know this. I'll ping Ineos a mssg and see if can confirm the 38 or other

AWo

Local time
12:15 PM
Reaction score
This value is somewhat theoretical. Practically this angle varies depending on load and where it is stored, speed, gear mounted and where...etc. Human beings start to feel bad from an angle of 20 degrees. Far away from turning over, most (and untrained) people don't want to go further then.

Trained people know a few tricks on how to see when they should not increase the angle with the actual car and setup they drive. Without knowing the angle when it will turn over.

Cheers
AWo

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:15 PM
Reaction score
pretty sure I saw 45° somewhere, however as others have already said I would take any claimed number with a grain of salt as so much depends on what accessories you have on it and how its loaded. I watched a line of discovery 3s go through a washout once all of them handled easily except one with a rooftop tent which promptly rolled on its side

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One important 4wd angle that I could not find anywhere listed is the "roll over" angle, I did find one reference to it in one of the South African "test drive" days when driving at a 20 degree side-slope one of the passengers asked the Ineos driver what the roll over angle was expecting something like "45". The driver said no it was 38. (24) INEOS GRENADIER I We Drive "init" - YouTube (21:50 in). That, I think, is a relatively low number on par with a 70 series Troopy Carrier (*) which is (a bit) taller but significantly narrower; and this was related to an earlier version which had a narrower (front) track than the current Australian V8 version.

(*) If remembering correctly from an Australian police report I found on-line on roll overs 10 or more year ago.

That started me thinking and I can remember at the West Australia test drive day that the driver said that the engine was sitting very high, which was mentioned in context of some positive attribute like things out of the way, drive shaft angle, or something.

Obviously the engine is quite a heavy thing so the higher the engine sits the lower the roll over angle. I am not overly concerned but I would have felt more secure if it had been 45 degree or something.

Anyone knows more about this?.
The 38 deg: does that should include a full laden roof and maximum load within the vehicle? A roof with laden will greatly affect roll over angles. Be interesting to know.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:15 AM
Reaction score
As @DaveB said earlier in the thread, it is listed as 45. But, as @stickshifter pointed out in a different thread, (in stock form) could actually be different depending on which way you lean (because, for example, the weight of the battery in on the far left). The fact that the list says the Commodore is 52 is NUTS! I agree with @Helmut that 25+ is very disorientating. I went on a LR factory tour and drove a new RR (2010) at 30D and I thought I was going to die.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As @DaveB said earlier in the thread, it is listed as 45. But, as @stickshifter pointed out in a different thread, (in stock form) could actually be different depending on which way you lean (because, for example, the weight of the battery in on the far left). The fact that the list says the Commodore is 52 is NUTS! I agree with @Helmut that 25+ is very disorientating. I went on a LR factory tour and drove a new RR (2010) at 30D and I thought I was going to die.
30 is a lot... I might have pushed 35 in my mates old SWB Patrol and I actually thought we were about to tip when the front left dipped/slid about 3 inches off the root we had as support. I ended up hoping out and checking before pushing through. 45 I have never seen on person, only YouTube videos of crazy people!

cmurray

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've had the Land Rover pretty close to rolling on a few occasions, definitely over 40 degrees! I've also seen quite a few Land Rovers get tired and have a lie down. From all the roll overs I've seen, it's normally momentum that has caused them to fall over, not the angle. The best example I can give of this was my sister in her Land Rover 2A shortie about 30 years ago. She slammed her feet on the brake and clutch at the top of a slippery hill. The car slide completely sideways probably 50 metres down the hill, but didn't roll over till it started to level out at the bottom as the mud started to build up against the tyres. img696.jpg
That's me in the back ground walking down the track that the car slid down.

Regards
Craig Murray

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:15 PM
Reaction score
I've had the Land Rover pretty close to rolling on a few occasions, definitely over 40 degrees! I've also seen quite a few Land Rovers get tired and have a lie down. From all the roll overs I've seen, it's normally momentum that has caused them to fall over, not the angle. The best example I can give of this was my sister in her Land Rover 2A shortie about 30 years ago. She slammed her feet on the brake and clutch at the top of a slippery hill. The car slide completely sideways probably 50 metres down the hill, but didn't roll over till it started to level out at the bottom as the mud started to build up against the tyres. View attachment 7804902
That's me in the back ground walking down the track that the car slid down.

Regards
Craig Murray
Bad experience.
But nice picture.

Looks like an aged slide.

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I doubt INEOS would provide any maximum spec roll-over angle due to too many variables. Surely you're assuming every vehicle is identical (even without any load) including passengers?
Even direct from the factory be obvious to anyone to consider different quantities of fuel, tyre types and rim sizes with differing air pressures, different and varied terrain, etc. etc. How would you like test it?

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:15 PM
Reaction score
I doubt INEOS would provide any maximum spec roll-over angle due to too many variables. Surely you're assuming every vehicle is identical (even without any load) including passengers?
Even direct from the factory be obvious to anyone to consider different quantities of fuel, tyre types and rim sizes with differing air pressures, different and varied terrain, etc. etc. How would you like test it?
Max rollover will depend on which side the fat bastard is on.

WyomingRoaming

Reservation Holder
Local time
5:15 AM
Reaction score
A friend of mine called me about 18 months ago to help him recover his truck that slid perpendicular to the two track he was on while elk hunting. It was the first snow of the season, and the road was both muddy and icy. I put my phone level on the truck and it read precisely 45°. I was amazed that the truck didn’t roll over, and I was glad my friend was able to jump out of the driver seat in case it did. It was late in the day, so no recovery company was going to come out at that time. I suggested he run back to town and buy some chains and straps to secure the truck from rolling. He did go and buy all of it, but decided to go eat dinner and relax the rest of the evening. Turned out to be a horrible decision because the next morning he got a call from the Forest Service that they found his truck at the bottom of the mountain. 45° may have been okay, but some of the mud gave out on the downhill side tires, and 46° turned out to be too much. Truck ended rolling about seven times down the mountain. Not only did he not receive a citation from any law enforcement, his insurance covered everything, including the two day recovery.3CEB3FAA-74D0-4BF6-BB1D-E1BCD7095746.jpeg53897E63-2ABD-4B6F-820E-CE37132BB584.jpeg
783C9012-2BA4-45EB-97B4-DC6851FF48B0.jpeg4A0D5898-55CA-45FE-A171-E9410EBE961C.jpeg3D76D6B9-C1BC-4362-B7EA-86913C3FA1BE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom