The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Reviews Coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:07 AM
Reaction score

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Wow! If they do it with cars that aren’t prepared separately this means the Grenadier is really capable!
With respect, if the bottom was firm (and I’ll bet they checked it first) then any 4wd could have done that and it’s really just grandstsnding not demonstrating capability.
I just hope it was an inland lake and not the ocean. If the ocean then it’s just bad for the vehicles.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:07 AM
Reaction score
With respect, if the bottom was firm (and I’ll bet they checked it first) then any 4wd could have done that and it’s really just grandstsnding not demonstrating capability.
I just hope it was an inland lake and not the ocean. If the ocean then it’s just bad for the vehicles.
It was to wash the road salt off from the previous day's road trip

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I agree, any 4x4 with appropriate wading depth could do it, but it does go to support and demonstrate manufacturing quality of door seals etc and allows them to show journalists the wading mode etc. these press days aren’t about showing it is massively more capable than other vehicles, it is about giving the journalists the opportunity to experience the vehicle in typical operation ing conditions and demonstrate the features etc. you will also have a range of experience and capabilities amongst the journalists so they aren’t going to put them in extreme conditions.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:07 AM
Reaction score

Agree with you on the hope that it's fresh water, and I agree that it shouldn't be a problem for a "proper" 4x4 like a 70-series or a classic Defender; I'd even wager the new Defender could do it because it's specifically designed for wading. But I would suggest that very few modern 4x4s could do that depth for that length of time without risking problems; short water crossings are usually not a big deal for modern 4x4s because with the right technique, a solid bow wave keeps the "water resistant" sensitive bits - electronics like ECUs - relatively out of the wet. On a longer run like that, the bow wave is a lot less effective and water ingress around sensitive bits is a given. These sensitive bits can cause all manner of issue. A couple of examples:

- On the platform that I use (GMC Canyon/Chev Colorad), water crossings that deep and long are very likely to get water into the power steering control module which I understand is only "water resistant", not water proof. A fault in this system will cause the vehicle to enter limp home mode.
- On the Jeep JK, the ECU was at the dash level - the wading depth was stated as 33.5", but just a little bit more than that would dunk the ECU and I'm told they are not waterproof. The Gladiator (Maybe the JL too) has a second battery system that would be totally submerged in this crossing too; I know some folks have had problems with the second battery triggering a limp mode but I'm not sure if that is water related -- still, I'd be curious to see how it would do in this case because despite the Jeep being -- well, a Jeep -- it's got some aspects that are a bit more "show" than "go" and it's wading capability is part of that.
- On the Toyota Tacoma - even the off-road spec'd TRD-Pro ones - Toyota says you shouldn't do water crossings higher than the hubs of the wheels and will not cover damage caused by water crossings deeper than that; I don't know if the vehicle would do it or not but Toyota tells us not to.

So overall I don't disagree that the water wasn't a huge challenge in itself, but the above are three of the best-selling 4x4s in North America right now and I wouldn't be confident in any of them doing a longer water wade like the Gren is doing. This is more a reflection on the sorry state of the 4x4 market than anything else but it also speaks to the ability of the Gren relative to the 'competition'.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:07 AM
Reaction score
With respect, I agree with you if we are talking about a group of friends which will gladly help if someone has a problem or if professional drivers did the driving. To do so with so many vehicles and journalists driving means to be trustful!
One bigger wave or a wrong steering could bring the group to a stop. Which might be nice with friends but probably not with journalists (who are afraid to drive in the dark)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes but very few SUV's
I guess they may be trying to prove that it is a real 4WD not an suv

Local time
Reaction score

Wow - that was a significant water crossing. This is the first video of the Grenadier that I find truly impressive. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but everything else I've seen it do has left me with the same reaction, which is "Sure, that's what a solid axle, off-road vehicle with a low-range transfer case should be able to do." I haven't seen the vehicle really pushed yet in the rocks, and I've done enough technical rock crawling that I've been a bit disappointed with the off-road videos. This was great! Maybe they are just getting warmed up.

Local time
Reaction score
With respect to an earlier comment that any 4x4 should be able to do this type of crossing: that depth for a shorter distance - yeah, for sure. But this was pretty deep (just below the top of the hood), and they were in it for a while. I suppose the real issue is how things actually held up to the crossing: Will they have to change the oil in the differentials, or have the breather tubes been adequately extended so that they vent to a dry protected location? Is there water inside the cabin or did the door seals keep the water out? etc. But I'm in agreement with @ChasingOurTrunks I think it was a job well-done.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
With respect to an earlier comment that any 4x4 should be able to do this type of crossing: that depth for a shorter distance - yeah, for sure. But this was pretty deep (just below the top of the hood), and they were in it for a while. I suppose the real issue is how things actually held up to the crossing: Will they have to change the oil in the differentials, or have the breather tubes been adequately extended so that they vent to a dry protected location? Is there water inside the cabin or did the door seals keep the water out? etc. So I'm in agreement with @ChasingOurTrunks I think it was a job well-done.
The diffs are sealed and don't have breather tubes
Don't know about the gearbox but I assume it is above the wading height.
Pretty sure they would have driven through that many times prior to make sure everything was OK

Local time
Reaction score
The diffs are sealed and don't have breather tubes
Don't know about the gearbox but I assume it is above the wading height.
Pretty sure they would have driven through that many times prior to make sure everything was OK
Whaaaat? What kind of sorcery is at play here? Don't all axles have to vent air pressure? I have a feeling I'm about to learn something new...

Local time
Reaction score
I’m guessing they knew exactly how deep that entire path was because it would have been real easy to destroy a truck in not much deeper water.
Yeah, for sure. But the same could be said about every water crossing we do! Unless you are the guys from "The Story Till Now" (below). No one tested this before they took the plunge, and that river was moving pretty good. If it suddenly got much deeper... Go to 12:12 in the video for the good stuff:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom