The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Reconfiguring a US Spec IG to a two seat Utility Wagon

ADVer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:25 PM
Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum and have a question that as far as I can tell hasn’t been asked/answered. As it appears the US will not be getting the two seat Utility Wagon, how difficult will it be to pull the rear seats out and end up with a flat floor? I saw the post about 16 screws, so extracting the seats seems straightforward, but what do you end up with? I also saw where the auxiliary battery, fuse box, and other electronics are in the same place (under the rear seats) on all configurations. Does this mean that after pulling the seats you are left with a flat floor on which you can easily build a sleeping platform with plenty of headroom? I’m sure I’m not alone in wanting to build out an overlanding rig for two, therefore having no use for rear seats. Thanks!

P.S. Ineos, if you are monitoring this forum, and it is not too late or too cost prohibitive to give us the two seater, please do!

Local time
Reaction score
Hi, the UK version shows that it does go straight across with a panel that covers that under-seat electronics bay (which the US will obviously not have and will need it retrofitted as such). The UK configurator shows this rendering and some articles show it as well. There are some real world pics out there but can't find them at the moment.

In another post, there was a US 3rd party that seemed to maybe exploring this conversion to provide.

The vendor mentioned was: https://www.goose-gear.com/

1681005848208.png
1681005873922.png

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:25 PM
Reaction score
In the two seater there is a hinged flat panel that extends into what would be the rear footwell. Gives a good flat surface. In two seater the cargo barrier takes up some space but in a conversion this could be modified and an even bigger flat floor panel could be installed.

Attachments

• Image_2 copy.jpeg
    Image_2 copy.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 86

ADVer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Norville and @ddv, thank you for your quick replies. As I hoped, it looks to be an easy fix. I’m familiar with Goosegear. They make nice stuff, including several “seat delete” kits for other brands, so it would make sense for them to offer one for the IG. It’s too bad we in the states have to go through this step and end up with a set of un-needed rear seats, but I suspect it’s due to US Regs for importing commercial vs. passenger vehicles.

I guess I can just add four legs to the removed rear seats and repurpose them as a nice Recaro sofa for the living room!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:25 AM
Reaction score
@Norville and @ddv, thank you for your quick replies. As I hoped, it looks to be an easy fix. I’m familiar with Goosegear. They make nice stuff, including several “seat delete” kits for other brands, so it would make sense for them to offer one for the IG. It’s too bad we in the states have to go through this step and end up with a set of un-needed rear seats, but I suspect it’s due to US Regs for importing commercial vs. passenger vehicles.

I guess I can just add four legs to the removed rear seats and repurpose them as a nice Recaro sofa for the living room!
Exactly my thought on what to do with those seats! Granted you could probably sell them for a decent amount, but what an awesome man cave couch it would be.

jrchrds

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:25 AM
Reaction score
I'm definitely doing this as well, and looked in detail at the PT02 towards this end. The seat looks easy to remove. Looking forward to seeing what Goose Gear comes up with.

Local time
12:25 AM
Reaction score
P.S. Ineos, if you are monitoring this forum, and it is not too late or too cost prohibitive to give us the two seater, please do!

I'm pretty sure the reason is the two seater would be classified as a light truck in the US, so it would be taxed to hell unless they built them here. The SUVs don't get hit with the Chicken Tax.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Didn't Ford face huge penalties for bringing in a Transit variant with seats and then stripping them out before sale?

I recalled that too as this discussion carried along. What's sad is that Ford can build a vehicle abroad, ship it to the US AND pay a 25% tariff on top of it cheaper than building the vans here. Not looking to ignite a wage/union fire, but that seems like bad math on our end.

ADVer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Still thinking about how to maximize cargo/sleep space given we will need to purchase the 5 seat versions. Regarding just removing the rear seats, see Tom Barker’s (IA Product Management) comment in the attached article about not removing the seats as that is where the “Sentry Battery Unit” is stored. Is the sentry battery for the alarm system, or is that a term for the auxiliary or “house” battery? In either case the 2 seat utility wagon must have this battery, and if so how do they end up with a flat floor? He also mentions having 5’10” available for sleeping with the rear seats folded forward. How is that possible with the difference in height between the rear load floor and the folded seats, short of some modification or by adding a raised sleep platform? So it goes back to Goose Gear to solve, most likely with something similar to their “Stealth Sleeping Platform”. I was hoping to avoid spending another $2K just to get a flat floor. Thoughts?E8EA0BDA-8250-4E61-B798-43B403524ED0.png

jrchrds

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:25 AM
Reaction score
see Tom Barker’s (IA Product Management) comment in the attached article about not removing the seats as that is where the “Sentry Battery Unit” is stored. Is the sentry battery for the alarm system,
Yea, having seen the vehicle, I'm pretty sure his comment regarded an attempt to entirely remove the seat and stuff underneath, which nobody wants to do. People just want the utility version top panel. and it will be very easy to do.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In the two seater there is a hinged flat panel that extends into what would be the rear footwell. Gives a good flat surface. In two seater the cargo barrier takes up some space but in a conversion this could be modified and an even bigger flat floor panel could be installed.
So this flat panel basically covers the battery compartment? This is promising and makes the possibility of a 3-seater + fridge viable.

Local time
Reaction score
So the extra battery and electronics that sit under the rear seat are also under the floor as well, right?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So the extra battery and electronics that sit under the rear seat are also under the floor as well, right?
Under the 2 seater's "floor", yes, everything is in the same location; it's just that instead of a few inch rise for the rear seat base/brackets, the cargo area floor level is extended forward

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:25 PM
Reaction score
So this flat panel basically covers the battery compartment? This is promising and makes the possibility of a 3-seater + fridge viable.
This is the rear with the 5 seats installed on the left and in the two seat configuration on the right and below.
You would need to do major modifications to the seat frame if you wanted a 3 seater with a flat floor.
Or you could have a 3 seater with a raised floor on the side you take the seat out.

1689028606113.png1689028632216.png1689028738092.png

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
The rear floor could best be described as a plateau with a steep cliff at the front of the rear wheel arches where it drops down to the footwell level for rear seat passengers:

1668780818678.jpeg
Screenshot_20220908_214710_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom