The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Reconfiguring a US Spec IG to a two seat Utility Wagon

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:54 AM
Reaction score
So the battery storage still resides on the plateau, or the lower footwell level?

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:54 AM
Reaction score
At this moment, they are doing the conversion from my N1 (Utility Vehicle) 5 seater to 2 seats (Belgium, nut US). I need the full loading space to transport and deliver goods, and also it's interesting for the lower registration cost. Second row seats are dismantels as also the protection cover and so on. As this was a 5 seater that the dealer had on stock, I went for this one and spend some money on the conversion, rather than waiting 8 months to have one build in the factory. Pro is that if I ever want a 5 seater, we can turn this around and rebuild it without any consequences. They now are producing a copy of the hardplastic load floor of the back, to have the same visual and feeling on the second row, rather than trowing a carpet on hardboard in it. It will have some doors to have acces to the electronics. But the load floor will be flat just as an UV 2 seater build in the factory. It's the fist time they do this conversion on a Grenadier (so they are still learning and creating the necessary tools), but they are doing this already sometime on the new Defender from JLR. I post updates once the job is done.

Attachments

• IMG_3329.jpeg
    IMG_3329.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 100

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
At this moment, they are doing the conversion from my N1 (Utility Vehicle) 5 seater to 2 seats (Belgium, nut US). I need the full loading space to transport and deliver goods, and also it's interesting for the lower registration cost. Second row seats are dismantels as also the protection cover and so on. As this was a 5 seater that the dealer had on stock, I went for this one and spend some money on the conversion, rather than waiting 8 months to have one build in the factory. Pro is that if I ever want a 5 seater, we can turn this around and rebuild it without any consequences. They now are producing a copy of the hardplastic load floor of the back, to have the same visual and feeling on the second row, rather than trowing a carpet on hardboard in it. It will have some doors to have acces to the electronics. But the load floor will be flat just as an UV 2 seater build in the factory. It's the fist time they do this conversion on a Grenadier (so they are still learning and creating the necessary tools), but they are doing this already sometime on the new Defender from JLR. I post updates once the job is done.
And who is doing that? Matzker?

[EDITED] Enwiedoeterda? ;)

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And who is doing that? Matzker?

[EDITED] Enwiedoeterda? ;)
Dingske uit Deerlijk. :) Just kidding, M&M Cars from Deerlijk (Belgium) Only 5 km from here. Hedin Automotive sends all there cars (Mercedes etc) to M&M Cars. They are COC certificated. No change of doing this yourself these days. First I was thinking to do the transformation myself, but as nobody could tell me if it was possible or even legal, not even 3 guys I spoke from the MOT center. I decided to let it go and let the pro's do it. They are 1 of 2 companies in Belgium who are authorized to transform the New Defender to 2 seaters UV as you can not order a New Landrover Defender in N1 class. Only 5 seats M1 class. At least I will have the correct papers now for the MOT control.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Dingske uit Deerlijk. :) Just kidding, M&M Cars from Deerlijk (Belgium) Only 5 km from here. Hedin Automotive sends all there cars (Mercedes etc) to M&M Cars. They are COC certificated. No change of doing this yourself these days. First I was thinking to do the transformation myself, but as nobody could tell me if it was possible or even legal, not even 3 guys I spoke from the MOT center. I decided to let it go and let the pro's do it. They are 1 of 2 companies in Belgium who are authorized to transform the New Defender to 2 seaters UV as you can not order a New Landrover Defender in N1 class. Only 5 seats M1 class. At least I will have the correct papers now for the MOT control.
My God :eek: , a lot of abbreviations ... even Belgians are doing this :mad: ;):ROFLMAO:
COC: Certificate of Conformity
MOT: Ministry of Transport?
UV: Utility Vehicle

ED Mulrenin

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Thank your for posting that, and for undertaking that conversion in the first place. It is hoped that the learning curve will be short and that the conversion can be picked up by others and exported elsewhere.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Update. Promised to post a few pictures after the modifications from a 5 seater Utility to a 2 seater utility. (Can always be reversed if needed. Just get the box and top plate out with 4 screws, en reinstall the back bench)

Attachments

• IMG_3389.jpeg
    IMG_3389.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3388.jpeg
    IMG_3388.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 64

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
Nice. 👍

How does the lower trim (sides and footwell) fix in?

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Nice. 👍

How does the lower trim (sides and footwell) fix in?
You mean the vertical panels? They just follow the floor and at the side the arch of the wheel cover. You have two top hex screws on the horizontal panel. We used the existing fixings of the bench. At the two sides we made an aluminium L piece to connect the vertical panel at the door sides. So it's all fixed with 4 hex screws. It's simply straight forward a cover (box) that sits on top of the battery and electrics.

ED Mulrenin

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Update. Promised to post a few pictures after the modifications from a 5 seater Utility to a 2 seater utility. (Can always be reversed if needed. Just get the box and top plate out with 4 screws, en reinstall the back bench)
Thanks so much for the posting. It removed a lot of anxiety.

Local time
2:54 AM
Reaction score
Dredging up an old thread to ask about the possibility of a 4-seater, with 2 chairs in the second row, and a space between. Reason: inside storage of 9' surfboard. I looked at a Gren in Houston, and the seat folding options are not ideal for sliding in a longboard. The board would be so high in the front row that it would totally obscure vision to the right of the driver.

I would be interested to know whether the battery/electronics would prevent this, and whether there would be a US upfitter willing to do it.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
12:54 AM
Reaction score
I would think you could remove the single rear seat on the right and add a flat panel to cover the electrics but a 9' board is going to be a tough fit any way you slice it. With a glassed on skeg you'll definitely be using the big door to get it in.

I personally wouldn't want a board banging around on the center console what with all the controls located there. I'd use soft racks for getting back and forth to the water. If I needed to stop somewhere to replenish calories then that's when I'd shove the board inside right atop the seat backs. Waxed deck up, of course.

Back
Top Bottom