The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rear seat clicking sound

Jayp

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:30 AM
Reaction score
My rear passenger seat makes a clicking sound when anyone sits in that spot. The middle seat, and seat behind drivers seat are fine. When you put a small amount of back pressure on the back, I think the rear plastic on the back of the seat bulges out making a clicking or popping sound. It was the first thing my wife noticed, and same thing from my son on his first ride ? Anyone else ?

silvester3

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:30 PM
Reaction score
Yes - passenger side rear seat.
Took it into dealer for analysis.
They got permission to order a new seat from Ineos under warranty.

Last edited:

Jayp

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes - passenger side ear seat.
Took it into dealer for analysis.
They got permission to order a new seat from Ineos under warranty.
That’s great news. I have a dealer appointment this Thursday.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
My rear passenger seat makes a clicking sound when anyone sits in that spot. The middle seat, and seat behind drivers seat are fine. When you put a small amount of back pressure on the back, I think the rear plastic on the back of the seat bulges out making a clicking or popping sound. It was the first thing my wife noticed, and same thing from my son on his first ride ? Anyone else ?
Hi @Jayp give my regards to your wife. If she hadn't given me the hint, I probably would never have noticed. I've just gone out to the garage and checked. Yes, I have the clicking noise too. However, in my case it's only the left-hand seat behind the driver's seat. As nobody has ever sat there, I didn't notice it. Please let me know if you hear anything from your dealer. I don't actually want to have the panelling removed. But yes, in the long run it is annoying when someone is sitting there.

Jayp

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Update - I took my Ineos to the dealer. They verified the seat clicking. They took the seat apart and said there was a very thin piece of metal in the seats. If you lay anything heavy on the back of the seats, you risk bending the thin metal inside the seat. Then when you sit in the seat it pops the metal in and out. I haven't put anything on the back of the seats, so either it was bent during install, or when the dealer loaded the roof rack cross bars ( not very much weight ) they bent it. I would be careful of loading lumber, or laying the seats down and trying to sleep in the back for fear of bending the insides of the seats.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update - I took my Ineos to the dealer. They verified the seat clicking. They took the seat apart and said there was a very thin piece of metal in the seats. If you lay anything heavy on the back of the seats, you risk bending the thin metal inside the seat. Then when you sit in the seat it pops the metal in and out. I haven't put anything on the back of the seats, so either it was bent during install, or when the dealer loaded the roof rack cross bars ( not very much weight ) they bent it. I would be careful of loading lumber, or laying the seats down and trying to sleep in the back for fear of bending the insides of the seats.
Thank you @Jayp for your feedback. And how did the dealer fix the problem?

HogRider

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have had the same issue on my rear passenger seat. My brother in law notice it when I picked up the car brand new. I have told my dealer about it but nothing schedule or anything ordered to fix yet. What did your dealer end up doing about it?

Thanks

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
FWIW there's an intermittent clicking sound back there that's audible when using the windshield wipers--it's the relay.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
FWIW there's an intermittent clicking sound back there that's audible when using the windshield wipers--it's the relay.
The clicking you describe may also exist. But the clicking which @Jayp and I describe above is a mechanical noise due to a thin plate in the backrest of the seat.

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The clicking you describe may also exist. But the clicking which @Jayp and I describe above is a mechanical noise due to a thin plate in the backrest of the seat.

Tbf I've had my seats folded down for most of my ownership so I've not really used them

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine made that noise but it was more of a popping and not a clicking. But clearly that metal being bent in and out. They ordered a new seat back frame to replace it. Been on order for over 3 weeks. Still no word on when it will arrive. Being covered by warranty as it was like that when I bought it. Discovered it right after taking it home.

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
Mine made that noise but it was more of a popping and not a clicking. But clearly that metal being bent in and out. They ordered a new seat back frame to replace it. Been on order for over 3 weeks. Still no word on when it will arrive. Being covered by warranty as it was like that when I bought it. Discovered it right after taking it home.
I guess add this verification to the pre-delivery checklist…

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Worrisome to hear this, as I had assumed that the rear seat backs, when folded flat, were intended to support weight (namely mine, as I am using this surface as part of a sleeping platform).

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine pops/clicks as well. If anything heavy was laid on it, it was at the dealership or at the factory.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
This “clicking/popping” sound would seem like a classic “oil canning” noise effect.

Back
Top Bottom