The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rear Bench Seat: Belstaff vs Station Wagon Models

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:53 PM
Reaction score
:cry::cry::cry: Exactly the model I want here in the USA!
I am willing to bet they will eventually bring it out on the long wheelbase platform they are using for the ute/pickup
I also think you may see them buying/building a factory in North America to get around tax laws and take advantage of the huge US market and different specification requirements.

Oscar01

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
10:53 AM
Reaction score
the attached photo shows the gap behind the N1 variant seat. It shows the rear gap which allows the seat frame to be moved back without having to remove trim. Of the two photos above, imagine the space behind the seat at the bottom of the C pillar. It from a production spec Grenadier. It seems like the whole seating frame and the composite shroud just slides over the floor pan. I’m even more confident that reclaiming the extra rear seat in the commercial version will not be that difficult. The only unanswered question is the top rear seating catch and how that can be moved without cutting or welding.

If you can change the position, when I was watching it I looked at it, because that's what I plan to do.

Local time
1:53 AM
Reaction score
I am willing to bet they will eventually bring it out on the long wheelbase platform they are using for the ute/pickup
I also think you may see them buying/building a factory in North America to get around tax laws and take advantage of the huge US market and different specification requirements.

Let's hope on both!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:53 AM
Reaction score
The only unanswered question is the top rear seating catch and how that can be moved without cutting or welding.
Do you mean the latching mechanism on the seat or the metal loop on the vehicle sidewall?

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:23 PM
Reaction score
G'day all,

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life but I've only just found out that there is a 5-seat UW with an extended cargo area/reduced rear seat legroom, in AUS we only have the option of a 5-seat SW or 2-seat UW.

So first up a question for 5-seat UW owners, with the rear seats in the more forward position, are they still able to be folded "flat" without the drivers seat being pushed too far forward? In my 5-seat SW I don't have a lot of room between the folded seats and the back of my driving seat in it's standard position (and I'm not the tallest person at 175cm/5'9"-ish), I wouldn't want to have my seat any further forward, particularly with the left foot lump with have in RHD vehicles.

Next question, have any of the 5-seat UW owners tried moving their seats back, if so was it a simple task? If so, I'd assume it's a similar case if I wanted to move them forward? Looking at the pictures in this thread there appears to be a slightly different trim panel at floor level between the the cargo area and rear seats but it does appear the floor trim forward of the rear seats in my car does have allowance for the seats to be moved forward. I was actually curious as to why the floor trim was the way it is, and now it appears I know the answer.

The reason I ask is that I'm currently looking at a cargo area fit out and the more room I have the better to use off the shelf parts and do it myself rather than have someone fabricate everything from scratch for a custom build which will cost significantly more and also not give me exactly what I want.

I'm not too fussed about rear legroom, the rear seats are occasionally used for passengers (taxi duty with friends) but mostly my dogs with the RHS seat loaded up with gear on any trips. I'm actually considering removing the RHS rear seat, the 40 part of the 60/40 split and building additional storage into this spot (so I don't have to use the seatbelt to keep everything in place) which will do away with the driver seat adjustment issue but for now just want to be able to fold it flat and store stuff on top of it.

Cheers,

Paul

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
G'day all,

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life but I've only just found out that there is a 5-seat UW with an extended cargo area/reduced rear seat legroom, in AUS we only have the option of a 5-seat SW or 2-seat UW.

So first up a question for 5-seat UW owners, with the rear seats in the more forward position, are they still able to be folded "flat" without the drivers seat being pushed too far forward? In my 5-seat SW I don't have a lot of room between the folded seats and the back of my driving seat in it's standard position (and I'm not the tallest person at 175cm/5'9"-ish), I wouldn't want to have my seat any further forward, particularly with the left foot lump with have in RHD vehicles.

Next question, have any of the 5-seat UW owners tried moving their seats back, if so was it a simple task? If so, I'd assume it's a similar case if I wanted to move them forward? Looking at the pictures in this thread there appears to be a slightly different trim panel at floor level between the the cargo area and rear seats but it does appear the floor trim forward of the rear seats in my car does have allowance for the seats to be moved forward. I was actually curious as to why the floor trim was the way it is, and now it appears I know the answer.

The reason I ask is that I'm currently looking at a cargo area fit out and the more room I have the better to use off the shelf parts and do it myself rather than have someone fabricate everything from scratch for a custom build which will cost significantly more and also not give me exactly what I want.

I'm not too fussed about rear legroom, the rear seats are occasionally used for passengers (taxi duty with friends) but mostly my dogs with the RHS seat loaded up with gear on any trips. I'm actually considering removing the RHS rear seat, the 40 part of the 60/40 split and building additional storage into this spot (so I don't have to use the seatbelt to keep everything in place) which will do away with the driver seat adjustment issue but for now just want to be able to fold it flat and store stuff on top of it.

Cheers,

Paul
I haven't read this thread fully, but there is some info over in this thread that may answer some of your questions.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
G'day all,

Cheers,

Paul
I am 5'10" and I have the 5 seat SW
I just did 1,100 kms with the rear seats folded and they had no impact at all on the position of my drivers seat.
Once you remove the headrests and fold the seats they don't impact the rear of the front seats that I could tell.
They fold flat although raised compared to the load floor.
I have my drivers seat high as that removes most of the impact of the drivers footrest and provides a better view, along with a very comfortable seating position.
There was a thread on here somewhere that shows exactly what you are describing.
Someone had removed half one section of the rear seat and extended a flat floor on top of rear draw section.

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I haven't read this thread fully, but there is some info over in this thread that may answer some of your questions.
Thanks, I'll see if I can do this in reverse.

The extra 80mm or so would come in super handy for fitting a water tank and associated pumps behind a drawer/fridge set up! Plus the additional electronics I'm looking at, as well as an air-compressor.

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am 5'10" and I have the 5 seat SW
I just did 1,100 kms with the rear seats folded and they had no impact at all on the position of my drivers seat.
Once you remove the headrests and fold the seats they don't impact the rear of the front seats that I could tell.
They fold flat although raised compared to the load floor.
I have my drivers seat high as that removes most of the impact of the drivers footrest and provides a better view, along with a very comfortable seating position.
There was a thread on here somewhere that shows exactly what you are describing.
Someone had removed half one section of the rear seat and extended a flat floor on top of rear draw section.
I've done up to 2500km over 5 days without an issue with the seat as I like it.

At present removing the headrest and folding the seat doesn't cause me any issue, though I probably only have 25-30mm between the folded up base of the back seat and the back of the drivers seat.

No issue with how flat they fold, I intend on having 2 shallow drawers and a false floor that raises the cargo area to the same height as the folded rear seat, this will make a good load area if/when needed.

I have my seat quite high too for visibility over the front end when off-road, and there's no shortage of headroom in a Grenadier! Footrest isn't a problem for me on long trips, it sits pretty much level with the brake pedal which I keep my right foot hovering above as unless I'm off-road I use cruise control.

I'll have a search for the thread you mention.

This is exactly what I'm looking at doing, though with a removable water tank at "flat" floor level in the cargo area and additional removable storage in place of the RHS rear seat. That way I can have a long and level cargo area if needed, though it will be narrow.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I also have the SW and have now moved the seats back to allow more legroom for passengers. Had no problem with original set up with seats folded. (I am 5’9”)

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Bear in mind that in the forward UW position the backs of the rear seats are more upright and therefore less comfortable. That said as above they do fold flat and you gain about 10cm of luggage space at the base and more higher up.

Back
Top Bottom