The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Quiescent current

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:06 PM
Reaction score
If I had a Grenadier, I wouldn't sleep inside but attach my Fluke 289. It's a multimeter with data recorder.

But I haven't my car yet ...
Time will come. Stay awake!

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:06 PM
Reaction score
Excellent. Thanks ~ I've troubled my agent enough for at least the rest of the week, so anyone else going to volunteer to ask for said document from their agent and post it up on an alarm thread here?

I also seem to recall my old Discovery had a ferry mode for the tilt sensor?
Would Locking with the key rather than withthe fob button disable alarms for ferry transport. That’s how it worked with my Defender 2.2tdci.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Would Locking with the key rather than withthe fob button disable alarms for ferry transport. That’s how it worked with my Defender 2.2tdci.
Well if I knew that about my Defender, I'd forgotten it. 😳

Yes, it would be good to know if it had facilty as well.

Earthwatcher

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well if I knew that about my Defender, I'd forgotten it. 😳

Yes, it would be good to know if it had facilty as well.
Did this query get answered? Couldn't make sense of links. I'll go outside, lock with key, then push it about a bit. On the Defender you press the lock button once to lock and twice to alarm. Is the Grenadier the same? Logbook doesn't say.

Last edited:

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yesterdays experiment.
Alarm on, all windows fully open, left for an hour in quiet breezy conditions. No alarm activation.
Stage 2, waved arms around through windows. No alarm activation.
Stage 3, chucked Toby the cocker spaniel into back seat and had him search inside. No alarm activation.
Dogs will be fine in their cages, no internal alarm sensors in grenny. Toby got the arse because he couldn’t find the pigeon he was searching for.🤣

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Right so the conclusion is that we don't have a motion sensor?

Or could it be that the motion sensor is set on double lock?

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Right so the conclusion is that we don't have a motion sensor?

Or could it be that the motion sensor is set on double lock?
I have tried the two press on the fob locking but it doesn't seem to make any difference. So will give it a go later, Toby will be one mardy dog!

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:06 AM
Reaction score
Yesterdays experiment.
Alarm on, all windows fully open, left for an hour in quiet breezy conditions. No alarm activation.
Stage 2, waved arms around through windows. No alarm activation.
Stage 3, chucked Toby the cocker spaniel into back seat and had him search inside. No alarm activation.
Dogs will be fine in their cages, no internal alarm sensors in grenny. Toby got the arse because he couldn’t find the pigeon he was searching for.🤣
Perhaps with the windows open the alarm is set differently??

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
5:06 AM
Reaction score
I have tried the two press on the fob locking but it doesn't seem to make any difference. So will give it a go later, Toby will be one mardy dog!
Try 3, my Jeep GC uses 3.

Reactions: PBD

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update
No allarm activation, chucked a couple od dummies in the truck so Toby was ok. Tried the three press on the key fob too, but no difference.
Conclusion, no internal sensors. just doors and immobiliser.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for doing that. 👍

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update
No allarm activation, chucked a couple od dummies in the truck so Toby was ok. Tried the three press on the key fob too, but no difference.
Conclusion, no internal sensors. just doors and immobiliser.
Tks PBD.

Other conclusion is there is no difference between 1,2 or 3 presses of the lock key fob button?

I.e no audible sound that more 'locks' are engaging on the 2nd press? (windows shut)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Despite having the auxiliary battery and Smartpass feeding charge to the main battery, I note that a 96% charged battery after a few days shows just over 80%. So it looks like there's something drawing it down.

On the precautionary principle, I'm now permanently plugged in when parked:
WP_20230527_004.jpg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The percentages don't necessarily tell you much about the actual capacities that were charged/consumed.

I think they are based on the voltage of the battery. It depends a lot on how voltage and capacity are related and how this curve is implemented in the digital meter.

It starts with the first question: what is 100% ?
And at what voltage is the battery considered empty?

I know that there are "common" definitions. But I don't trust them and besides this we don't know what the INEOS/Bosch/Neusoft/whoever engineers considered the right ones.

And: Did they - for simplicity - just assume a linear progression between these two values (which would only be a rough approximation).

The only accurate method would be to measure the current flowing and count the accumulated amp-hours. And even the question of what the actual usable capacity is, which is never the same as the nominal capacity, would still have to be clarified.

Only then can you get reliable values.

Anyway, I'm surprised that it's only 80% after just a few days. Regardless of how inaccurate it really is, this consumption clearly seems uncomfortably high for a quiescent current.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The (generic) curve below shows that the capacity drop is comparably high in the beginning, but then stabilizes for quite a while.

blog-akku-test-2.jpg

Here is a more elaborate article about the topic. Sadly not available in English but deepl will help.

Back
Top Bottom