The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Powering a portable ARB compressor

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score
Not being top notch when it comes to electronics. Can anyone advise me on ways to power my ARB compressor via either of the power outlets at the rear of the Grenadier ie The towing socket or the NATO socket. Currently, the unit has a pair of crocodile clips for connecting to the posts under the bonnet (hood). Was hoping for an alternative method.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Scratch the above. Just found what I was looking for, as written by Clarke Kent. Plus another great idea from Marcusnillson whereby he has placed his compressor within the spare wheel and connecting to the Nato plug when needed.

Last edited:

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:44 AM
Reaction score
Scratch the above. Just found what I was looking for, as written by Clarke Kent. Plus another great idea from Marcusnillson whereby he has placed his compressor within the spare wheel and connecting to the Nato plug when needed.
HA, a ‘self inflating spare’😊

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:44 PM
Reaction score
Hi @Cheshire cat . The NATO socket will provide a solution via an adapter but it's not the easiest or least expensive option if you're only looking for occasional power for your compressor.
You could consider installing a panel mount 50 Amp Anderson (SB50) plug in the recessed area of the right side trim panel. Perhaps add some USB outlets at the same time, like this.
Take +12v from the NATO solenoid behind that panel. If you want the Anderson live at all times attach to the solenoid stud nearest to the wheel; the left stud in this pic. There is an existing earth stud on the wheel arch.

If your compressor is not fused and you're not using the NATO for a rear winch, then also consider swapping the 350A NATO Z-Case fuse (see pic) with a 60A fuse. There is an unused 60A fuse in the 7-way Littelfuse holder that you could relocate as a donor.

Ensure your vehicle is asleep and disconnect the battery/ies before touching the NATO circuit.

Attachments

• PXL_20230910_030832549.jpg
    PXL_20230910_030832549.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20230828_011529072.jpg
    PXL_20230828_011529072.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Many thanks Clark
These are the type of suggestions I was hoping for. When you mention the recessed area on the right panel I am trying to think where you are referring to. I will take a look in my vehicle come daylight and see if it is obvious.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:44 PM
Reaction score
Many thanks Clark
These are the type of suggestions I was hoping for. When you mention the recessed area on the right panel I am trying to think where you are referring to. I will take a look in my vehicle come daylight and see if it is obvious.
Serving suggestion only ;)

Attachments

• PXL_20240526_223150919.jpg
    PXL_20240526_223150919.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom