The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Power Steering Error yes I searched

PilotMike

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
3:40 PM
Reaction score
Have been getting the "power steering error" message randomly for a few days. All the other threads end up in recall, or TSB nonsense that doesnt explain the error. Does anyone know what causes this? Nothing shows up on an OBD scanner.

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:40 PM
Reaction score
I’ve had similar alert a few times but it seems it is generally nothing. I’ve had it linked to an EMS fault causing limp mode which cleared immediately upon restart. In for some work yesterday at the agent, no codes recorded upon plug in, vehicle still drives very well.

Tpresten

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
I have also been getting this error randomly. I have about 250 miles on my Grenadier now after 2 weeks of ownership. The error will sometimes pop up while driving and then go off leaving the yellow exclamation warning on the Tell tail panel until I restart the car.

PilotMike

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have also been getting this error randomly. I have about 250 miles on my Grenadier now after 2 weeks of ownership. The error will sometimes pop up while driving and then go off leaving the yellow exclamation warning on the Tell tail panel until I restart the car.
Yes it happens every day on mine. Like every other start.

Tpresten

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi, I had the same fault, turned out to be a loose earth wire, in the engine bay, right hand side, about a metre from the front, under the mudguard.
Seems the electric steering pump used the same earth grounding.
I looked around today and did not see any loose wiring. Any more direction as to where it might be is much appreciated.

Local time
Reaction score
I looked around today and did not see any loose wiring. Any more direction as to where it might be is much appreciated.
Hi, if you were standing next to the RAI, looking in to the open engine bay, slide your hand into the engine bay, and then back under where the bonnet would seal, towards you.
That is where the dealer technician said he found it.
I live in the UK, but my vehicle is in Namibia, so can't go and check

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip as I get the same message periodically. I’ll check the earthing.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I get the same message every 2 or 3 starts. Never noticed anything other than the message. Interesting about the ground, I will definitely look into that. Any picture of it by chance?

Tpresten

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have looked extensively at all the ground wires and have not found one loose. I have a gasoline, left hand drive, double battery electrical package Grenadier station wagon. So far I have made sure all the fuses under the left rear passenger seat are seated well as this was a problem with some Jeep Wranglers having miscellaneous electrical lights pop up. I have not found other fuses yet to check. The power steering fluid is at the low end of the dipstick and I was going to add some but it was $42 for a small can at my local Autozone so I did not buy it. I have not been able to figure out what conditions makes the error trip but it does it randomly sometimes on start up as I am backing out of the garage and sometimes after driving a few miles and then sometimes I can go on numerous drives with no error at all. Maybe it’s a feature to just make us chuckle and remind us that this is a vehicle with roots in the UK? I had a 1962 Triumph TR4 with its Lucas (prince of darkness)electrics and if I made it home with all the lights working at night I said a thank you prayer.

Local time
Reaction score
I get the same message every 2 or 3 starts. Never noticed anything other than the message. Interesting about the ground, I will definitely look into that. Any picture of it by chance?
I do recall the technician saying there was an electrical doo-dah next to the jump start terminal that was not doing what he expected, and tracing that wire back led him to the loose earth

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I haven’t had it come on or turn off while driving. It is either there on startup or it isn’t. Maybe a third of the time.

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I do recall the technician saying there was an electrical doo-dah next to the jump start terminal that was not doing what he expected, and tracing that wire back led him to the loose earth
On a side note...Have you noticed how my grounds there are in the Grenadier? Everywhere you look there is a ground. All I can think is that it will be a nightmare to track down electrical gremlins if few come loose.

Tpresten

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
On a side note...Have you noticed how my grounds there are in the Grenadier? Everywhere you look there is a ground. All I can think is that it will be a nightmare to track down electrical gremlins if few come loose.
Yes there are a few but they are easy to identify. What I am more amazed by is the care and shielding Ineos has done with the wiring. They have actually put rubber around edges of metal where a wire might touch it in addition to routing the wiring inside of plastic shielding and then wrapping that plastic shielding with abrasion tape.

Back
Top Bottom