The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Portals and 37s

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
Once honestly said. With the big rubbers and the portal axles, the Grenadier looks terrible.
I agree. But if you are a wealthy alpha male with small dick energy they could help your ego 😁
And if you get bogged and an old Series Landrover sneaks past, you tube will have a field day!

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:24 PM
Reaction score
I saw a youtube-video with a new defender and 37´´ tires without portal axes - it didn´t look so bad - because it was not higher als needed.
Nice features, the right colour, and you got it. I am very curious what the grenadier owners will do and change and modify during the next years to have fun and more individuality.
BUT - PERHAPS IS THE ORIGIN INEOS already so very special and so much individual that you don´t need to pimp anything?

Attachments

• IMG_Defender 37 Zoll.jpg
    IMG_Defender 37 Zoll.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:24 PM
Reaction score
I saw a youtube-video with a new defender and 37´´ tires without portal axes - it didn´t look so bad - because it was not higher als needed.
Nice features, the right colour, and you got it. I am very curious what the grenadier owners will do and change and modify during the next years to have fun and more individuality.
BUT - PERHAPS IS THE ORIGIN INEOS already so very special and so much individual that you don´t need to pimp anything?
They must have done a tremendous amount of work to get that Defender on 37s.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Once honestly said. With the big rubbers and the portal axles, the Grenadier looks terrible.
It's a bit like big boobs: At a first glance they might look tempting, but in fact they are mostly, well, impractical at best.

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Amazing! From emax’s (and a consensus) opinion this is a highly respected and admired shop. How much would this cost to do, once the development work has been validated? Asking for a friend, lol! Is this doubling the price of the vehicle? Maybe 30%?

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Amazing! From emax’s (and a consensus) opinion this is a highly respected and admired shop. How much would this cost to do, once the development work has been validated? Asking for a friend, lol! Is this doubling the price of the vehicle? Maybe 30%?

Depends - we do a lot of Landcruiser wagon conversions to dual cab utes “pick ups” in Australia to effectively make what Toyota should have done in the first place.

Take a mid spec 200 Series at say A$130k then chop the back off and add a tray, extend the chassis etc and there’s no change out of $200k and probably then some adding all the extras. And that’s doing only a base add to things like suspension.

Also depends on whether these guys are taking your vehicle and enhancing it, or selling a completed product.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Depends - we do a lot of Landcruiser wagon conversions to dual cab utes “pick ups” in Australia to effectively make what Toyota should have done in the first place.

Take a mid spec 200 Series at say A$130k then chop the back off and add a tray, extend the chassis etc and there’s no change out of $200k and probably then some adding all the extras. And that’s doing only a base add to things like suspension.

Also depends on whether these guys are taking your vehicle and enhancing it, or selling a completed product.

1673135275122.png

Michael Gain

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Dear To!
In my head - you are right!
After a view into my money box - you are right!
For the next five years (perhaps) - you are right!
In my heart - well... perhaps... one day... we will see! Except of bigger wheels I have some more expensive ideas for the next years ... (as you can see on the two photos beside).
Alucab and goose gear. Two of my favorites

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:24 AM
Reaction score
They must have done a tremendous amount of work to get that Defender on 37s.
That is Steve out of Denver. He owns an LR dealership. To get 37 on he did a 4 inch subframe lift which is around 8k. Plus he did a front cooler mod which is another 100 bucks. He also owns two jeeps with 38 and 40. In his collection is V8 defender on 38 with the 4 inch sub frame lift. He ran the Rubicon. He owns First edition with 33 with 2 inch lift rods. And straight 110 with 2 inch lift rods and 35. Here he did some cutting and mods to get the 35 on.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:24 AM
Reaction score
One thing I will add, I have no clue but if he is awarded a dealership, even though I am in Seattle. I will buy from him. He is straight-up guy who is a massive offroad ethustist. I don't see him screwing us first adopters.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
emax wrote “a high five digest amount” so you should be save in doubling the original price… unfortunately the portal axles and the bigger tyres will need some extra power so you should prepare some extra money to tune the engine 😬

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With the portal axles and the balloon tyres, it's the same as with other accessories. It always depends on what you want to do with them. For rock climbing in the USA and driving on snowfields in Iceland, these modifications are ideal and justified. When I saw the vehicle with the portal axles and raised suspension in the hall at LeTech and that Sir Jim Ratcliffe wanted to test it on his own island off the coast of Iceland, I thought to myself, yes, that fits perfectly.

I personally need an off-road vehicle that has power and ground clearance, but at the same time is not too high. As I have paths on my land that are overgrown with brush and trees.

Yesterday I went there again with my Disco. He is a grandpa by now and I don't want to put him through the hassle of transporting all the girls (and a few boys too).

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
Sir Jim Ratcliffe wanted to test it on his own island off the coast of Iceland
I wonder if Arctic Trucks have been given a prototype to play with?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if Arctic Trucks have been given a prototype to play with?
Just wait a little longer. The information about the portal axes has only just been published.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Very honestly: Don't agree.
Maybe it's because you only saw the pics and lack the experience of having seen it in real. It's really impressive and also proportionate.
Who in Europe needs something like that.
This should be a question, right? You put it as a statement. Tells a lot...
BTW, what's that type of question? If sb _wants_ it, then he needs it. It's really that simple! And he doesn't have to justify at all. Should be absolutely no problem and natural in a free society.
Yes, possibly in Iceland. I have sympathy for that. But otherwise?
My Defender has 33 rubber. That's okay. But my Grenadier doesn't need them either. Where it should go, the original rubbers are enough. These are my thoughts. Nowadays you have to be afraid to be seen in such a car anyway. And seriously, that is also justified. But I need such a car for work. I am an arborist.
If you are sb who's afraid to be seen in your Gren in public, maybe it's better not to buy one?

Last edited:

To

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Very honestly: Don't agree.
Maybe it's because you only saw the pics and lack the experience of having seen it in real. It's really impressive and also proportionate.

This should be a question, right? You put it as a statement. Tells a lot...
BTW, what's that type of question? If sb _wants_ it, then he needs it. It's really that simple! And he doesn't have to justify at all. Should be absolutely no problem and natural in a free society.

If you are sb who's afraid to be seen in your Gren in public, maybe it's better not to buy one?
I think better an original vehicle than a souped up offroad monster. These are my thoughts, because such a conversion does not increase the application possibilities for the normal user. It is merely a matter of posing.

Back
Top Bottom