The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Picture Requests or Measurements?

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
This is really helpful and a relief! My garage opening is 83.5 inches but scraping on the rubber seal of the opening. I am in good shape and almost in with the factory roof rack that I ordered w my build. I would love to see what you are doing to get the roof rack lower and closer to the roof as this may be a long term solution for me vs pulling off the roof rack in the winter and leaving it on only half of the year.
Hi SkiBum1 & Adam, Yes, you like many others have the same problem I do, a low garage door opening. A couple ideas. If you have a roll up garage door, you might be able to adjust it to open it a bit higher and if not perhaps shorten the holding arm connected to the door or even move the garage door opener back an inch or so in order to get the door to opened a bit higher.

Another option is to look at Black Sheep's roof rack system. According to them, the top of their rack only sets 1.18" or 30mm above the top of the Grenadier roof rubber/plastic strips. That would make the total vehicle height with their rack at 81.89" or 2080mm. You could then sell the Rhino Roof Rack to someone else who has a higher garage door opening or even perhaps back to the dealer or decline taking it and have them take it off the price. I have the Rhino Cross Bars coming with my vehicle, however they are too high to use in my garage so I will have a new pair for anyone who wants them at cost, $95,000, LOL.

The other option is to perhaps buy the Black Sheep brackets and make some modifications to them by adding a stainless or aluminum right angle bracket to them and then attach the Rhino Rack to those brackets and not the Rhino Rack brackets. That might lower the overall height enough to perhaps clear your garage door opening. I am not sure of the exact height of just the Rhino Rack. Black Sheep is also finishing up a new design that is just a frame for attaching things too including roof top tents and it also sets very low compared to the Rhino Rack. You might reach out to them.

For me to end up with lower cross bars to clear my garage door opening I am designing stainless brackets that will connect to the screws that are holding the brackets that hold the aluminum tubes, although I am now also giving some thought to ordering a bracket from Black Sheep to see if I might be able to easily modify it to use with the Rhino Cross bars or another aluminum cross bar that I have sourced that is only 3/4" (19.05mm) thick. I think it would be very easy to simply add a length of right angle stainless or aluminum and then attach the cross bars to it, thereby ending up with cross bars that no higher or even a bit lower than the top of their roof rack, which is only 1.18" or 30mm above the roof rubber plastic strips. Here's a link to Black Sheep's rack which has some photos. If you look closely you will see their brackets and also that the bottom of their roof rack sets just on top of the roof rubber/plastic strips. My only concern with their roof rack is that it is setting directly on top of the rubber/plastic roof strips might cause the strips to vibrate enough to wear the paint away below them over time and then again that might not be an issue. One could always add a shim to a roof rack or cross bars to elevate them up 1/8" (3.175mm) or so to alleviate that potential. DaBull

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
Another option is to look at Black Sheep's roof rack system. According to them, the top of their rack only sets 1.18" or 30mm above the top of the Grenadier roof rubber/plastic strips. That would make the total vehicle height with their rack at 81.89" or 2080mm.
Ahhhhh just when I thought I could stop thinking about roof rack options for a bit... Dangit! 🤣

Black sheep was first on my list too, for mounting method and overall height. Hoping Black Sheep get back on the forums following the holidays, I'd like to see if they secure a US distribution point.

Back
Top Bottom