The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Petrol/Gas Petrol B58 strange sound at idle

Andras

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:02 PM
Reaction score
Dear all, I’m proud owner of a petrol Trialmaster with 2500km on the odo. I do have a strange ticking sound from the engine at idle that I find disturbing. Went to the dealer who told me it could be a valve or a solenoid, but no worries it is all ok. Anyone having similar experience/noises?
Thank you, Andras

• Wow
Reactions: CB

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
Ticking = Valvetrain issues

= Exhaust leaks

= Fuel evap system solenoids

= who knows what else?

Only at idle and not changing with increased engine rpm? Put a length of tubing to your ear and listen around the engine compartment with the other end. Take care to avoid the cooling fan and any moving parts. You'll definitely know when you're near the source.

Don't worry but keep monitoring. You have a lot of warranty left yet.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Andras

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ticking = Valvetrain issues

= Exhaust leaks

= Fuel evap system solenoids

= who knows what else?

Only at idle and not changing with increased engine rpm? Put a length of tubing to your ear and listen around the engine compartment with the other end. Take care to avoid the cooling fan and any moving parts. You'll definitely know when you're near the source.

Don't worry but keep monitoring. You have a lot of warranty left yet.
I’ll need to have sy with me to check with higher rpms.
Will take your advise on the tube diagnostics.
Thank you

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:02 AM
Reaction score
Fuel injectors tick.
Unless they are part of a mechanical system like the old K Jet.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Eric.S.

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:02 PM
Reaction score
Same here for 7000km now, no problems yet;)

Vote:
Upvote 0

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey Andras,

At first "hearing" this doesn't sound like mine, but tomorrow I will test it. I have also a petrol.
You also can ask your dealer to put your car besides another petrol one and listen to the difference in sound!
Probably your dealer is Gablini?

And by the way, my Grenadier was already twice in Hungary, my youngest son is living there, married with a Hungarian woman, and I have a grand child there.

Vote:
Upvote 0

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Diagnostics:
  • OBD readings
  • Compression test
  • Camera / endoscopic inspection
  • Oil screening

Vote:
Upvote 0

Andras

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hey Andras,

At first "hearing" this doesn't sound like mine, but tomorrow I will test it. I have also a petrol.
You also can ask your dealer to put your car besides another petrol one and listen to the difference in sound!
Probably your dealer is Gablini?

And by the way, my Grenadier was already twice in Hungary, my youngest son is living there, married with a Hungarian woman, and I have a grand child there.
Jó reggelt as we say :) Thank you for the notes. Yes I did ask Gabilini about it but unfortunately they only had diesel version "in the house". Kind regards,

Vote:
Upvote 0

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
Dear all, I’m proud owner of a petrol Trialmaster with 2500km on the odo. I do have a strange ticking sound from the engine at idle that I find disturbing. Went to the dealer who told me it could be a valve or a solenoid, but no worries it is all ok. Anyone having similar experience/noises?
Thank you, Andras

That doesn't sound good to me - our Grenadier is diesel so not comparable but I have a BMW with S55 engine (not entirely different, still direct injection etc) and it does make a ticking sound from the injectors but nothing like this. That, to my non-expert ear, sounds much more like a mechanical knocking sound and would want it investigating. The good thing is, at least it is under warranty. I bet if there is a valve-train issue they will replace the engine.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom