The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Parking heater, concepts

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:45 AM
Reaction score
I started this thread originally in the German forum but have now found that it should be in the core forum.
The german postings below written so far can be translated with Google or deepl.

I've been thinking about a parking heater for a while now.

Actually I just wanted an interior air parking heater. But the water based parking heaters with engine preheating have significant advantages in winter, especially in terms of avoidable cold starts. Unfortunately, even if you just want the interior to be warm, the engine is also warmed up - which is not very effective.

That's why I thought about how you can combine both: on the one hand with engine preheating, but on the other hand as pure interior heating. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a ready-made solution.

That's why, in addition to water heating, an external air heater came to my mind. There are actually projects (YouTube) where the guys have installed a 2 kW auxiliary heater in an aluminum box and operate it externally. For example, as a box on the roof rack, from where both a roof tent and the interior could be heated. For this purpose, an inexpensive Autoterm heater (formerly Planar) is often installed in a suitable box together with a small tank and hose connections for supply and exhaust air.

Electricity can be drawn from the towing hitch plug, the NATO plug or, if installed, from the outside roof outlets.

Advantage: You can also use it to heat a roof tent or an awning. And you can also leave such a heater at home in the summer. The costs are manageable with a total cost of around 1000 Euros.

Disadvantage: The power supply has to be plugged in and an attached diesel tank has to be refilled every one or two days. And you have to attach the air hoses, or mount your roof tent so that you only have to connect the box to the tent.What do you think?

PS: It is available as a finished box e.g. like this:

View:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u04OB9K6GSc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MXv9UoIZMk

Or build it yourself like this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKwzue3poDA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNQDSYwKAwE

-----------------------------------------
Original posting:

Ich überlege schon lange wegen einer Standheizung.

Eigentlich wollte ich nur eine Luft-Innenraumheizung. Aber die Wassser-Standheizung mit Motorvorwärmung hat signifikante Vorteile im Winter, vor allem hinsichtlich vermeidbarer Kaltstarts. Leider wird aber auch dann, wenn man nur den Inneraum warm haben möchte, der Motor mitgewärmt - was wenig effektiv ist.

Deshalb habe ich überlegt, wie man beides unter einen Hut bekommen kann: Einmal mit Motorvorwärmung, andererseits aber auch als reine Inneraumheizung. Eine fertige Lösung scheint es da leider nicht zu geben.

Deshalb ist mir zusätzlich zur Wasserheizung eine externe Luftheizung in den Sinn gekommen. Es gibt tatsächlich Projekte (Youtube), bei denen die Jungs eine 2 kW Standheizung in eine Alubox eingebaut haben, und sie extern betreiben. Zum Beispiel als Box auf dem Dachgepäckträger, von wo aus sowohl ein Dachzelt als auch der Inneraum beheizbar wäre.

Dazu wird häufig eine preiswerte Autoterm Heizung (ehem. Planar) zusammen mit einem kleinen Tank und Schlauchanschlüssen für die Zu- und Abluft in eine geeignete Box eingebaut. Strom kann man von der AHK oder dem Natostecker zapfen,

Vorteil: Man kann damit auch ein Dachzelt oder ein Vorzelt beheizen. Und man kann so eine Heizung im Sommer auch zuhause lassen. Die Kosten sind mit rund 1000 Euro Gesamtkosten überschaubar.
Nachteil: Die Stromversorgung muss eingesteckt werden und der Dieseltank alle ein bis zwei Tage nachgefüllt werden. Und man muss die Luftschläuche anbringen oder sein Dachzelt so montieren, dass man nur die Box mit dem Zelt verbinden muss.

Was haltet ihr davon?

PS: Gibts als fertige Box z.B. in dieser Art:

(Links s. oben)

Last edited:

Sandpirat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:45 PM
Reaction score
Der Vorteil das Dachzelt beheizen zu können, ist gut. Zumindest wenn man auch in der kälteren Jahreszeit oder Gegenden dachzelten möchte.
Aber für den Autoinnenraum ist das nicht wirklich geeignet, da die Kiste wegen der Abgase immer draußen stehen muß. Und Du müsstest jedesmal den Warmluftschlauch durchs Fenster leiten.
Da wäre eine fest verbaute Innenraum Standheizung wesentlich bequemer.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
For the warm air hose, I would make an insert that sits on the glass of a side window and is then clamped into place at the top with the window regulator, similar to the Defender ventilation panels. The same for the intake hose, which would then be a (very effective) circulating air heater so that heating exhaust gases could not be accidentally sucked in.

The box could easily be attached to the towbar or firmly attached to the roof rack. Electric outlets, if opted, are available everywhere around the roof. For fuel, a 2-liter canister would last for eight hours at full load, or you can use a T-connector on the car fuel line with a quick coupling piece.

--------------------
Original posting:

Für den den Warmluftschlauch würde ich einen Einsatz machen, der sich auf das Glas eines Seitenfensters setzt und dann mit dem Fensterheber oben eingeklemmt wird, ähnlich der Defender-Lüftungsbleche. Dasselbe für den Ansaugschlauch, das wäre dann eine (sher effektive) Umluftheizung zu außerdem nicht versehentlich Heizungsabgase ansaugen könnte.

Die Kiste könnte problemlos auf der AHK oder fest auf dem Dachgepäckträger befestigt sein. Strom gibts rundum des Daches überall. Für Sprit würde ein 2-Liter Kanister bei Volllast acht Stunden lang reichen, oder man nimmt ein T-Stück an der Auto-Spritleitung mit Schnellkupplung.

Last edited:

MShepherd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
ein komplettes 12V Diesel Standheizungs-System gibts vom Chinesen (ebay, Amazon) für unter 100€. Zum Ausprobieren ob man sowas brauch oder ob es den Anforderungen entspricht, würde mir so ein System reichen.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Viellcht kanns Du ja so was hier verlinken?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
To the German contributors: I think this thread is better off in the core forum.

Please continue here.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
That's indeed a bargain - if it works. But what I'm looking for is something around 2 kW.

I had seen the big ones before, but my impression is that they are more for busses, larger tents and the like.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:45 PM
Reaction score
@emax look at thsi thIs thread from the Defender site. This is a Korean guy that designed one that works off of car window. It's small and compact and the newer version can warm car and tent. Looks like he sells them as their is a link in thread but the website is hard to navigate on my phone. If I was going down this route, I would do this.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you :)

I already know this guy.

The interesting thing is that his "Debasto" - which sounds a lot like the German "Webasto" heater, a premium brand, actually appears to contain an "Eberspächer" heater, which also comes from Germany and is also a premium brand. At least the electronics are from Eberspächer. Funny.

It doesn't seem very expensive. 44,000 JPY is less than €300, a bargain. But there is no dealer in Europe, and with shipping and customs you might end up with €450, I guess.

Still ok, but spare parts are not available here.

Interesting solution however.

Back
Top Bottom